Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

Someone has hacked into my facebook account and changed my

Customer Question

Someone has hacked into my facebook account and changed my password. I cannot log on and they are putting up horrible things that I do not want my family to see. Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need.

Have you tried the 'forgot password' link? Were you able to receive the password XXXXX email?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've tried it all I'm not very good with the computer that is why I'm willing to pay for your help. The slander they are putting on my account is horrible and they changed the email to whatever theirs is.
OK; thank you for that information.

Do you know your Facebook username?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Joshua Krupnick and my account number is XXXXX
Can you please give me the name of one of your friends on Facebook? It doesn't have to be one in particular. I just need their name as it's displayed on Facebook.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jordi Gellar, Sean Monroe, Adam Fort
Is this not your email address:

j*******7@y****.com

?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no they made it similar to mine so that it still seems like it's me and people wont realize it's not! I'm so frustrated!
And this is not your mobile number, either:

*******2614

?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No like i said they changed everything
OK Joshua -

You should've gotten an email stating the following:

Hey xxxxxxx,

We've received your request to associate your account with the email addressXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

An email was sent toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX to confirm the request and account ownership. To confirm that email address, just click on the confirmation link in the email sent toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

However, if that address is not familiar or you did not request to change your contact email, please follow this link to cancel the request:
https://www.facebook.com/checkpoint/checkpointme?u=xxxxxxxx
(If clicking on the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting it into your browser.)

If you cancel the contact email change request, your account will remain with your current email (xxxxxxx@gmail.com) and you will be asked to reset your password XXXXX a security precaution.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Here is what you need to do! You need to click on that link, then pick "I didn't make this change" and you'll be taken to a page to regain access to your account through a verification process.

Then after that's done, you should be able to get back into your account. Please just look for the email with the subject "Facebook Contact Email Change Notification" to go through that process; thank you.

FS
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's trying to make me log in I'm confused
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot do it without login in
Are you sure that you're not logged into another Facebook account on your PC currently?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah I'm not on fb at all it just keeps sending me to the login page and I think I hit pay already too.
I saw that - don't worry. We aren't done until you're satisfied. What web browser are you using?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mozilla firefox.
OK; please go ahead and go to your email and find the link in that notification where it starts with https://www.facebook.com/checkpoint/checkpointme?u=....

Then right-click on it and select Copy Shortcut or Copy Link Location...

(This next step will close all Firefox windows. You can just click Firefox to get your windows back up again)...

Then go ahead and press CTRL+SHIFT+P to start private browsing.

Right-click in the address bar and select Paste, and paste the URL up there.

Once that's done, you should be able to go through these steps --

Click "I didn't make this change"

You'll see "your account is temporarily locked" - click Continue

Pick any verification method. I personally used "Identify photos of friends"

Then go through and identify your friends and then after 3 successful friend identifications, you'll be back into your account and they'll walk you through re-securing your account.

Thank you.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wait what link?
The link sent to YOUR email account whenever the email address was changed. You get a notification email anytime your email address is changed - standard Facebook procedure. I already gave you the subject line: Facebook Contact Email Change Notification - thanks.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any other way to get to it because I recieve dozens of emails a day and got so frustrated with this fb thing that I probably deleted it
No - that is the only link you have to getting your account back, otherwise there are zero other ways to prove your identity to Facebook if you can't even retrieve the email at your original email account. Please look through your Trash. That's literally the only avenue you have left to recover the account.

Thanks.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You really can't see what they changed it too?
You can see what they changed it to after you find that email and then you can see all email addresses associated with the account.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know I dont have that email. It would really help me if you could just let me know what it is. I've been trying for days to figure this out. And I already paid you which was my fault for clicking it but I feel like I'm at square one. I will tip you I promise.
I'm not understanding why you need the email address that your account was changed to; that's irrelevant for what we are trying to do.

How long ago did you delete the email? Who is your original account's email provider?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont need the email address I wouldn't be able to access it anyways. I just need my password, that's all. Yahoo.
So now you're saying you cannot access the email account associated with your Facebook account?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they changed it so I couldn't change it back. I believe I said that previously otherwise I would be able to fix it.
I misspoke. Sorry - it's 2AM here and this is hour 16 of the day for me (once we're done I'm done for today). I meant that you aren't able to access the original email address that was associated with the account, before it was changed?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they did it all in one swift sweep. I know it's late here too and I'm sorry to keep you up. I just don't know what else to do. Paying for help was my last resort but it's worth it to me.
Hi - no need to be concerned. I like staying up late so you're not keeping me.

Ouch - so they compromised your original email account as well, AND changed the email account associated with the account all at once?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yep. I've tried to get all my computer savy friends help but they are all stumped. This was my last resort I thought you would just be able to get my password for me easily, but i understand you have to take precautions it's just like damn I wanna delete it now ASAP
No, I totally understand. That really sucks.

Facebook USED to have an option... and I don't know if it still works, but the option is if your email address has been changed, but I am not sure if it's functional anymore. Here's the link if you want to try it:

http://www.facebook.com/help/identify.php?show_form=hack_nologin_access

If you get taken to just a generic help page, then they cut off that feature, but it would've helped in this situation where the email address has been changed maliciously.

Have you tried this facebook "hacked" page yet?:
http://www.facebook.com/hacked/

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yep i've even tried hacking into it myself by paying for some scam program
What recovery processes did you go through with Yahoo? Were you not able to answer the security questions?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They went in and changed everything. Is there an actual website that can provide me with the password?
No; the password actually isn't stored anywhere. It's stored as a hash (a long string of letters and numbers) and only the correct key (password) can confirm the hash against another key. Otherwise, there's no way to find out the password, unfortunately.

Regarding Yahoo accounts... They may have a "This is not my question" link if you pick My account has been compromised... Keyword may.

If you do not see that, you can try the Yahoo! account recovery form, which is accessible from here -

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/general-01.html

Otherwise, there isn't really anything else that can be done at this point... I'm sorry...

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to get the encrypted code does that help?
What encrypted code?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I was using those websites it gave me some encrypted code of what my password was but then tried to make me do some survey that would give me some code to get it decrypted but of coarse that was a scam too. . . . Come on you're an expert
I was just trying to figure out where you had seen "encrypted code" since Facebook doesn't mention that anywhere. There is no such thing as an encrypted code on Facebook... hence my question.

The most that can be done is you can sign up for Facebook again with a new email address, then go to that profile and pick Report --> This is my profile, but I no longer have access to it.

You can have other people go to the profile (you may wish to email all of them your link to your profile) and have them go to Report/Block and then pick--> This profile is pretending to be someone or is fake --> Pretending to be someone I know, and have them type your name to your new Facebook account. (It's best to do this after you've added your friends to your new Facebook account).

That's really, unfortunately, all that can be done.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks :(
I'm sorry... I really wish there was more I could do but my hands are tied. That's brutal that it was done to you... I just hope that it never happens to you again. In the future, keep your email account super-secure and set up your new Facebook with more than one email account that way if they hack one, you'll still have another way to get back in.

FS