James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

Gateway desk top problem. Keyboard is not working (will not

Customer Question

Gateway desk top problem. Keyboard is not working (will not type any characters) have tried 2 other keyboards with no changes. States CRTL key is being held down when I try typing in Word or Excel. Problem does not appear to be the keyboard hardware.

Internet and other applications such as word / excel load but cannot enter data. Have wireless router connected to this desktop and my laptop which also runs off the router works fine.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi, is the keyboard you are using a PS2 keyboard (round connector) or USB (rectangular) ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse with a USB port. I tried out old keyboard and it has a round connector
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Okay. So the problem is with the PS2 port on the computer. Disconnect the old keyboard, and inspect the port for damage - a pin is probably bent or broken. Try to move it away so no pin touches any other pin, then use the wireless keyboard.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The old keyboard is not plugged in at all and hasn't been in years. I only tried it when the wireless on quit working. The mouse works fine. When we go into Word it says the CTRL key is pushed down and when we try to type, the shortcuts will be activated but no letters or numbers are showing up on the screen.

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Push each of the Control keys on the keyboard once time, and release.

Is the issue resolved?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That does not do anything
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried a different USB keyboard?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, but I tried the PS2 Keyboard the problem was not resolved. The mouse and the keyboard are ran on the same USB line
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Disconnect the wireless USB keyboard.
Plug in the PS2 keyboard. Then reboot the comptuer (PS2 requires reboot).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The PS2 keyboard doesn't work either. I even took the batteries out of the wireless keyboard so that there would not be any interference.

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
You need to disconnect the receiver from the USB port on the computer.
If this still doesn't work - you need to try a new USB keyboard.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not sure the keyboard is the real issue. Guess I'll have to take it the shop.

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Try a new $10 keyboard before paying hundreds in the shop - I'm trying to save you money.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
James thanks for all your efforts, but I do not feel the keyboard itself is the solution. Therefore cannot accept the answer as a final solution. At this point I am throwing in the towel on trying to resolve the problem for tonight.
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Feel free to test my theory with a new keyboard, and only then accept my answer.