Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

How do I remove write-protection from my simpletech external

Customer Question

How do I remove write-protection from my simpletech external hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sibu replied 5 years ago.

Sibu :

Hello, Welcome To JustAnswer Remember Only Click ACCEPT after the problem gets SOLVED Thanks & Regards Sibu

Sibu :

which operating system you are using ?

Customer:

Windows 7

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press Enter. (If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.)

2. To remove the Read-only attribute, at the command prompt type the following command:

3. attrib -r drive:\<path>\<foldername>

4. You may also need to remove the System attribute. In that case, use the command:

5. attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

Sibu :

in the above line use the external drive letter name as drive:

Customer:

Do I type something in <path>? My simpletech drive is "G" on my computer. And then what do I type in <foldername>? Am I trying to remove the write protection on my simple drive or are you trying to get me to remove it from my picture files. I just put these pictures on another external hard drive and didn't have a problem. When I try to put them on the simpletech hard drive, it won't let me.

Sibu :

yes try drive: as G: in my instructions above

Customer:

I typed in attrib-r-s drive:\<G>\<foldername> Is that correct?

Customer:

What foldernamer do I use?

Sibu :

attrib -r drive:

attrib -r -s drive:

Sibu :

type above

Customer:

I did that - a box quickly flashes up and then goes away.

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

now try to copy and paste data into the external hard disk

Customer:

I just tried and it told me "This disk is write-protected."

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

i am out of ideas

Sibu :

I will open this to other experts

Expert:  Frederick S. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need.

Are you unable to write files to any folder or modify them? Do you have other folders on the drive already?

FS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This simpletech external hard drive is several years old and has a lot of files on it. I've not had problems copying files to it before. Now the computer tells me that this disk is write-protected.

Please go to Start menu > Computer > RIGHT-click on the drive and select Properties. Do you still have sufficient free space left?

FS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I have 183 GB of space left

Are you able to delete a file off of the drive? Are you able to copy files off of the drive?

FS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I shut my computer down and started it back up again and I was able to copy the pictures to my simple tech drive. It's workiing now.

I was going to suggest that, but be careful - the drive has already thrown up a very concerning error once before. Messages regarding write-protection should not happen. If it happens again, please take it seriously and consider copying all files to your hard drive for safekeeping and order a replacement hard drive. Simpletech's drives are, unfortunately, quite well-known to fail sooner than other drives like Seagate or Western Digital. I would suggest either of those brands as a replacement should that error (or any other concerning error like "Delayed Write Failure") come up. Thank you.

FS
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.