Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  Software Engineer and Support Professional
8287049

I took pictures with my iPhone 3 and emailed them to myself.

I took pictures with my iPhone 3 and emailed them to myself. Then I saved them to a folder in my laptop. Today, I'm continuing the process but now when I try to open the photo in my email, I receive the following and cannot open or save the photo: "Cannot create file: Photo.JPG. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties in the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder."

Also, when I go to the folder where the rest of the photos are stored (TO SELL), there's a padlock to the left of TO SELL. Help and thanks .. Kuu
Category: Computer
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 3 years ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. It sounds like permissions have been modified on the folder you are trying to save to. I would recommend right-clicking the folder and going to "Properties", and make sure "Full Control" is enabled on the folder for the group your user is a member of. For example, if you are logged in as "Administrator", make sure "Administrators" has full control on the folder you are saving to.

Techie_Ben :

If you click each group and see any "Deny" permissions enabled, I suspect your user is a member of that group and permissions need to be modified.

Customer:

Ben, that's what I did over 10 times. There is no DENY on anything. But before that the problem is that I can't even open it as an attachment in my email ...

Techie_Ben :

So you can't open the picture as an attachment? Can you save it somewhere like your desktop?

Customer:

No, same error appears.

Techie_Ben :

What about any other picture?

Customer:

Same problem. I tried over 15 photos on my iPhone.

Techie_Ben :

Interesting...so no pictures can be saved at all

Techie_Ben :

And you're just sending them through the email application on the iPhone?

Techie_Ben :

not through some other application?

Customer:

Correct. No photo attachments can be opened; none can be saved. Yes, taking pictures with iPhone and emailing to myself with photo attachment, which again can neither be opened or saved.

Techie_Ben :

What is your email provider?

Techie_Ben :

ie - Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc...

Customer:

gmail

Customer:

I simply don't understand why it worked then stopped all of a sudden.

Techie_Ben :

Could there be a low disk space problem on your machine?

Techie_Ben :

If you can't open from Gmail either, it means that you don't have rights to the temp folder either.

Customer:

No disk space problem. Now you're speaking Greek to me. Please treat me like an idiot and spell things out, okay? I'm the farthest thing from a Geek! LOL. What's the next step?

Techie_Ben :

If your hard drive is full, you will not be able to open any files until you free up some space by deleting something else.

Techie_Ben :

I'll show you how to check

Techie_Ben :

Click the Start button (bottom left corner of the screen), and type explorer then press enter. Once Explorer opens, right click your C: drive, and select "Properties". There is a chart that shows how much disk space is being used currently.

Techie_Ben :

Please let me know how much "Free Space" is shown.

Customer:

When I type explorer, it takes me to Google, which is my home page on the Internet

Customer:

Did it another. 180 GB "free."

Techie_Ben :

ok, so disk space is not a problem.

Customer:

Yes.

Techie_Ben :

Are you able to save another type of file?

Techie_Ben :

For example, if you email yourself an MS Word doc

Techie_Ben :

or text file

Techie_Ben :

are you able to save that?

Customer:

let me try

Customer:

Yes. FROM MY LAPTOP, I emailed an MS Word doc from one email to my gmail (I have 3 different emails).

Customer:

I didn't email from my iPhone.

Techie_Ben :

So you can save the MS Word file ok?

Customer:

Yes

Techie_Ben :

Have you recently updated your iPhone?

Customer:

no

Customer:

As mentioned, one day it worked; the next day it didn't. No known changes made.

Techie_Ben :

Interesting. I haven't had this problem on my iPhone, but doing a little research I am finding it's not entirely uncommon.

Techie_Ben :

Can you try uploading pictures to Picasa rather than sending to your email?

Techie_Ben :

This will allow you to log in to your Picasa account to save the pictures

Customer:

How do I do that?

Techie_Ben :

Go to www.picasa.com and create an account

Customer:

Thunderstorming here. What happens if my electricity goes out?

Customer:

ok, hold on

Techie_Ben :

You can just come back by bookmarking this page or saving this url:

Techie_Ben :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5euho-took-pictures-iphone-emailed-myself.html

Customer:

still working on picasa. plz hold

Techie_Ben :

ok

Customer:

still working; sorry so slow; i'm not familiar w/picasa

Techie_Ben :

no problem

Customer:

WOW, all my photos downloaded to picasa. How do i now test if I can download iPhone photos to picasa (without reading all the directions)? I want to test just one.

Techie_Ben :

So you mean you want to upload just one picture to Picasa?

Customer:

No, i want to "test" to see if i can send a photo from my iPhone to picasa before you leave me.

Customer:

In other words, how do i sent a photo to picasa from my iPhone?

Customer:

send

Customer:

I ask because it saved all the photos on my laptop but I need to be sure that I can send a photo from my iPhone.

Techie_Ben :

Yes, one second I will show you

Techie_Ben :

There is an app called "PicasaFoto" that will let you upload, I'm trying to see if there is a free one.

Customer:

ok

Techie_Ben :

The app called "PhotoPod" will do this

Techie_Ben :

it is free

Techie_Ben :

Download Photopod, go to the Settings button (bottom right) and enter your Picasa login information.

Techie_Ben :

Go back to the main tab (bottom left), click on "Device Photos", select your photo, and select upload (top middle button) to send to Picasa.

Customer:

On my iPhone?

Techie_Ben :

yes, all on your iPhone

Customer:

ok; hold on

Customer:

don't know what happened. all my photos disappeared in picasa. i don't remember it asking me to set up a sign-on or password. but miraculously all my photos downloaded to picasa. what shall i do?

Customer:

hold on; photos now back. no idea what's going on. but i still don't know my username or password XXXXX picasa. i don't remember establishing one.

Techie_Ben :

It will be the same as your Gmail ID and password

Techie_Ben :

that's probably why it knew you already if you don't normally have to sign in to Gmail

Customer:

hmmm; that's an automatic sign on for me ... in other words, i don't have to enter it; it does it automatically and i don't know what they are. let me trhy

Customer:

try

Techie_Ben :

ok

Customer:

okay; username and password XXXXX

Techie_Ben :

ok

Customer:

waiting for upload

Techie_Ben :

ok, good

Customer:

i clicked on upload but am not sure how to see if it went through.

Techie_Ben :

The bottom middle button is the "Queue"

Techie_Ben :

that shows your uploads and status

Customer:

when i click it, it shows the photo and an X and check mark at the top. i can't find photo in picasa yet or at least there's no notification. is there any alert that this has been done??

Techie_Ben :

It should not appear in the queue anymore once it has finished uploading.

Customer:

can't find anything. will try again.

Customer:

still in the queue

Techie_Ben :

Ok. Make sure you are checking the photo album you selected in Picasa

Techie_Ben :

Ok. Is there a white bar next to the picture?

Techie_Ben :

If you are on 3G, it might take longer, but the white bar shows the upload status

Customer:

no white bar; it has a black band on the top and a black band on the bottom

Customer:

nothing shows the upload status. there's just a white X and a white check mark at the top

Customer:

take longer? over 5 minutes?????

Techie_Ben :

not that long

Techie_Ben :

are you on wi-fi?

Customer:

no

Customer:

now queue has a black screen; maybe it uploaded? let me check picasa

Techie_Ben :

yes, black screen indicates nothing in the queue

Customer:

can't find photo anywhere

Techie_Ben :

and did you select "Upload Photo"?

Customer:

am i supposed to do something in picasa in order to "receive" photo? how does it know where to upload?

Techie_Ben :

No...so that might be what was done wrong

Techie_Ben :

you need to select "Upload Photo", and then it has you choose a destination

Techie_Ben :

so if you try again from scratch...

Techie_Ben :

From the main screen (bottom left button), select "Device Photos", then select "Camera Roll"

Customer:

Yes, and it's uploading what's already there. Okay, I'll try again.

Techie_Ben :

select your picture, then select the upload button (top middle button). At that point, it asks you which folder in Picasa you want to upload to

Techie_Ben :

Once you click "Upload", it will copy to the folder you selected in Picasa

Customer:

trying again

Techie_Ben :

Once the next iPhone update comes out this Fall, you wont have to do any of this.

Techie_Ben :

They are launching the "iCloud", which makes all your pictures accessible from any device.

Customer:

now that i'm repeating steps, it's totally different. it's doing exactly what you said ... asks for destination, shows status, etc. hang on

Techie_Ben :

yes, ok

Customer:

once it's sent from my iPhone, am i supposed to now click UPLOAD in picasa?

Techie_Ben :

No, once it's sent from your iPhone, you can see it in Picasa

Techie_Ben :

So if you wanted to save it on to your computer, you could click it in Picasa, right click, and do "Save Image", and save it to your computer.

Customer:

that's the problem; i can't see it

Techie_Ben :

And you're looking in the folder you selected when you just uploaded?

Techie_Ben :

the "Destination" folder?

Customer:

yes ... TO SELL. I was careful to note that. All the photos on my laptop were downloaded automatically, but i can't find the two that i sent from my iPhone. let me check again.

Techie_Ben :

Ok. You might want to try logging out of Picasa (on your computer) and back in if you don't see them.

Customer:

it should be at the end correct?

Techie_Ben :

It would be in "My Recent Albums"

Techie_Ben :

On the right side, you can see "Sort By"

Techie_Ben :

try selecting "Upload Date"

Techie_Ben :

Click "My Photos" on the top of Picasa, then sort by Upload Date

Customer:

i did; only shows 1 album, which is the one that was automatically updated. does not show the two that i just recently uploaded from iPhone.

Techie_Ben :

And you're sorting by upload date and still do not see them?

Customer:

unbelievable. now when i click the original download, the two pics appear. however, the entire album has changed (portrait versus landscape), which i already corrected. oh, well, this seems to be an easier correction than getting my photos uploaded. i don't know why it works sometimes and doesn't. i'm going to try uploading one more from my iPhone. can you hang with me?

Techie_Ben :

Sure, no problem.

Customer:

hmmm, doesn't appear in the album. let me try the other way (sorting).

Customer:

ben, i have to go to Web Albums to view the newly-added pics, but at least i know how to do it. i also just saved a photo from picasa to my laptop and VOILA ... it worked. Thanks so much for your help. Sorry it took so long.

Techie_Ben :

Nice, not a problem at all. I'm glad you got it working!

Techie_Ben :

Thank you. If you are satisfied with my response please accept my answer by pressing the green "Accept" button and leave positive feedback. It is the only way I am compensated for my time. I will also leave positive feedback for you. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated.

Customer:

can i ask you a question before you go?

Techie_Ben :

sure

Customer:

the purpose of this entire project is to post pictures of all the things i need to sell befor i move in 2 weeks. i wanted to post ads on craigslist and local newspapers. because i have so many pictures, i simply wanted to say something like MOVING SALE and give them a link to view all the photos. will this work and not give out any of my personal information?

Techie_Ben :

Yes, actually...once all the pictures you want are in Picasa, you can actually make a public album and just link people to that.

Customer:

GREAT! You've been most patience and absolutely fantastic!

Customer:

Almost midnight; will ACCEPT now and post postive feedback.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for your patience as well. I'm glad we were able to come to a solution!

Techie_Ben :

Same here. Have a good night!

Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: Software Engineer and Support Professional