Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration

My computer wont recognize my simpletech External Hard Dr

My computer won't recognize my simpletech External Hard Drive.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
Was it recognized before, when?

If you go start, in the searchbox type Windows Disk Management and hit enter.

On the bottom right of the window that appears, do you see it listed there? (you'll see a few drives, C: and your cdroms, and it should be below that if listed).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No It is not Listed.

I reloaded windows 7 and I haven't been able to get computer to recognize the external since.

Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
Just to be sure, when you plug the hard drive in, do you hear the drive spin up and such?

If go to start, in the searchbox type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Do you see a yellow exclamation mark next to anything in the list? You may need to scroll down. Please read me off what has a yellow mark next to it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I don't hear it spin up.

There are no yellow marks.

Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.
That's not good.

I'd check the power on the drive. Different wall socket, etc if it has an external power source. The Drive WILL spin up without being hooked to your machine. The moment it gets power it will spin up.

If it doesn't spin up, (regardless of the computer) the drive is likely dead/defective. Either the external shell is, or the drive itself. Usually its the shell. If that's the case and the data is crucial, the only recourse you have is to remove the drive from the shell and buy either a different external case, or this tool:

Once the drive is removed from the shell, and you hook it up to this, if the drive is functional it should be fine to hook right up.

Just to recap, if the drive does NOT spin up (regardless of it being plugged into the machine) when power is given to it, its not the computer, its the drive or the drive case/shell.

There's no drivers to install because power is not getting to the drive, so there's nothing for Windows to recognize.