Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I have an Emachine desktop, my dvd drawer wont open. I need

I have an Emachine desktop, my dvd drawer wont open. I need to know how to fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Bernie K. :

Hi there,

Bernie K. :

Are you using Windows XP, Vista, or 7?

Customer:

windows 7

Bernie K. :

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX windows start button > Computer > Right click your dvdcd drive shown there and select eject

Bernie K. :

Does that open it?

Customer:

no

Bernie K. :

Ok, then something has jammed it. Please take a paperclip, and then use that to hook the manual eject hold on the front of the cd drive

Bernie K. :

One moment I'll post a picture here

Bernie K. :

Full Size Image

Bernie K. :

Full Size Image

Bernie K. :

All you have to do is press the paper clip in that hole and push gently, and you will start to feel the tray sliding out.

Customer:

there is no eject pin hole and the dvd is vertically positioned in the tower

Bernie K. :

Can you get to the front of the dvdcdrom? Some models have a shell or flap covering the front of the unit, you have to open that to see the dvdcdrom unit inside.

Customer:

there is not a pinhole and my dvd is vertically positioned in the tower

Bernie K. :

What's the exact model of your emachine please

Bernie K. :

So I can look at the schematics

Customer:

i can open the door but the dvd housing is jammed the model is EL1352-01e

Bernie K. :

Thanks - one moment please

Bernie K. :

Is the dvd on the left or right vertical panel?

Customer:

right

Customer:

as you face it

Bernie K. :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX carefully lay the whole computer on it's left side.

Bernie K. :

Then, try to press the open button on the drive and see if it will open this time

Customer:

ok done

Bernie K. :

Customer:

no

Bernie K. :

Ok, open the flap of the front panel so that the front of the dvd drive is showing. Then look for any small black hold either on the front of the drive or around it, you must look very carefully, it should be there.

Bernie K. :

*not hold, hole, my apologies

Customer:

found it

Bernie K. :

Excellent, go ahead and insert the paper clip into that hole very gently and push until the drive starts sliding out

Customer:

nothing is happening

Bernie K. :

Keep pushing with a little more force

Bernie K. :

Press, hold, and push essentially until the drive starts coming out a little

Customer:

nothing

Bernie K. :

I see - the last time it opened, was there a cd in there that you know of?

Customer:

bingo

Customer:

it is open and therewas no cd inside

Bernie K. :

Ok, great! Now - try to press the button to close it, does it close by itself?

Customer:

do i dare try to load a cd,,,is it possible that the button on top is malfunctioning

Customer:

no

Customer:

no response from pressing botton

Bernie K. :

Well - normally, if the button is malfunctioning, you can just open the drive from within windows itself (Start > Computer > right click the drive shown there and select eject)...

Bernie K. :

But that didn't work earlier correct?

Customer:

correct and i received an error message when i right clicked and clicked eject

Bernie K. :

Oh I see, what did this error message say exactly?

Customer:

An error occurred while ejecting CD Drive D

Bernie K. :

Ah, I see, lets try this next:

Click the Windows Start button > In the box type devmgmt.msc and press enter > Double click DVD/CD-ROM drives

Do you see anything in that list with marked with a yellow exclamation mark, or gray downward arrow symbol?

Customer:

no the only information is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH62L SCSI CdRom Device

Bernie K. :

Ok, go ahead and right click that, and then select uninstall

Bernie K. :

Then, restart the computer, and windows will reinstall it automatically, lets see if this fixes it

Customer:

ok i did that now restarting, but how do i stay in touch with you

Bernie K. :

Add this page to your favorites so you can return to this session - Or check your JustAnswer emails, there will be a link in there to get back to this page. I'll be here!

Customer:

ok

Customer:

you are a genius, it works now and after several trys, it continues to open and close. Would rebooting have corrected the problem if we had not uninstalled the dvd rom

Bernie K. :

Thank you for the kind words : )

Bernie K. :

In this case, with the error - it would not have worked until reinstalling the drivers

Bernie K. :

But it should not happen again - sometimes that happens and the windows driver needs to be refreshed like we did

Customer:

thank you so much

Bernie K. :

You're very welcome! You may press the Accept Answer button, please leave me feedback if you have a chance.

Bernie K. :

Have a nice week

Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified