LeGin
LeGin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSc (Computer Science)

may cat walked on my keyboard and toggled something and now

Customer Question

may cat walked on my keyboard and toggled something and now it does not function properly
Category: Computer
Expert:  LeGin replied 2 years ago.

LeGin :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is LeGin and I look forward to assist you today.

LeGin :

let me know in detail what is the problem you are facing.

Customer :

my cat walked or lay on my laptop last night and now the keyboard does not work properly, when i type "n' i get "ny" when i type "a" i get 'aq" and the windows help and support opens, etc

Customer :

something was toggled on and i dont know how to toggle it off

Customer :

i just spent 2 hours with another tech from this site and he couldnt figure it out

LeGin :

what is the make and model no# of the laptop

Customer :

toshiba satellite a665

Customer :

hello?

LeGin :

whaen you press n it comes up ny. is that correct?

Customer :

yes, also when the other tech logged into my computer remotely he could type fine, so the issue is localized to my keyboard

LeGin :

yes that is what i also feel this is hard problem with the keyboard

LeGin :

nothing related to any accessibility shortcuts activated issue

LeGin :

there is only one thing that can confirm it. you have to connect a external keyboard and try type

Customer :

some letters type fine, others not in microsoft word 'b" will type bg5 and bring up help...i dont have an external keyboard, this is my wife computer and its a laptop

LeGin :

if the external keyboard works fine the problem is with internal keyboard on the laptop

Customer :

assuming its an internal problem is there anyway to reset it?

LeGin :

do you have external keyboard with you

Customer :

no

LeGin :

no that is a hardware fault

LeGin :

ok

Customer :

hardware fault what does that mean?

LeGin :

key is bad

LeGin :

keyboard is faulty

Customer :

what can i do?

LeGin :

the keyboard is some $20 but as you dont have an external keyboard

LeGin :

i want to try a final test to confirm the solution

LeGin :

try this

Customer :

but if i dont want to use an external keyboard, does the keyboard need to be replaced on the laptop?

LeGin :

you can use On-Screen Keyboard

Customer :

that works

LeGin :

Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.

LeGin :

that is your choice the computer will still work normally with the faulty keyboard

Customer :

so even if i bring the computer in you don't think it can be fixed

Customer :

?

LeGin :

it can be fixed

LeGin :

you have to change the keyboard

LeGin :

that is the only solution as you cannot repair a fault laptop keyboard

Customer :

ok thanks

Customer :

wish you could have helped

LeGin :

what sort of help you want let me know taht

Customer :

for problem to be fixed

LeGin :

the fix is you have to change the keyboard which is going to cost you somewhat $20

LeGin :

you can go to any local repair computer shop and get a keyboard

Customer :

for a laptop?

LeGin :

yes

LeGin :

or call toshiba and get one from there

Customer :

are you asking that i should pay?

LeGin :

if that is in warranty you dont to have to else you have to

Customer :

ok thank you have a nice day

LeGin :

o if you are asking about my payment, you have already made the payment to justanswer.com

LeGin :

by clicking Accept i will only get a portion it.

LeGin :

if you found me helpful you can click Accept.

LeGin :

Thanks

Customer :

how much do you get?

LeGin :

50%

Customer :

i have to say, i didn't want to pay anything unless problem was solved, i would have gone to staples or something had they been open, while i appreciate your input it didn't really do anything for me. id like to give you something put $19 for that seems high

LeGin :

I cannot do any change in the amount paid as that is completely controlled by the site.

LeGin :

no problem you can leave that un-accepted.