Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
16299369

I just did a rescue and recovery and restarted my computer.

Customer Question

I just did a rescue and recovery and restarted my computer. Now a pop-up error of missing NTLDR. HELP!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 3 years ago.

Hello, sometimes this does tend to happen You can either do the Recovery Process again and make sure you boot from the recovery disc, or you can get a copy from anyone that has a Windows XP Disc or a Dell WIndows XP Disc and follow these instructions to fix this...

Please do this to fix it...

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 to get Boot Menu Options

3) Insert Windows Disc

4) Select DVD/CD-ROM drives and press enter

5) Press any key to start the installation

Windows XP users

1) Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2) When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3) Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4) Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5) You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password, if none was set, then just press enter to bypass it.
6) Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not working
That does not tell me anything, what is not working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just what you said i should do but nothing is happening. so frustrating!
F12? Then you need use F2 to get inside your BIOS and look around for your Boot Order/Sequence and change it to boot from your dvd/cd-rom device first, and your hard drive as 2nd boot. Then save/exit and that will work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still not doing anything
If you changed the boot order and saved it, what DISC are you using right now? Is this a IBM Notebook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MicroSoft , Window 2000, Lenovo computer
2000? I thought you had Windows XP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, windows xp

Thanks! Try the F12 key again for me. Make sure you time it just right...

1) Laptop should be OFF
2) After 1 minute, turn ON the laptop and.....

press F12, F12, F12, F12, (wait 5 seconds) and repeat F12, F12, F12, F12, ...........

?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anthony, i am working with a desk top

Same rules applies. F12 should get you on the Boot Menu to select what you would like to use, of F2 to get inside your BIOS and change it to make it boot from your CD first. Here are the instructions for that to make the changes in your BIOS.

IBM Recovery Disc Instructions

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/netvista_pdf/01r8023.pdf

Lenovo: 1-877-453-6686

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, just come up with prebooting instruction after F12,
Anthony, I did this twice and that is when the second recovery and restart led me to the error msg of missing NTLDR. but i am going through the process for the third time. is there another way out of this ?
Unless there is something wrong with your Disc, then no. Whatever Disc you are using, it has to be a bootable disc, and not all recovery disc are. Some have to be done from the Desktop while on Windows. Thats why its best to use a Retail Copy or a Dell XP disc in a case like this. If you dont have one but know someone who has it, borrow it to fix this error and you should be ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i use my laptop disc ? sorry, im not so knowlegebable with computer. so i guess i need to let the whole entire process run its course and then if it gets me to the same error process again, just insert the bootable disc for my laptop as you suggested?

Yes, if it is XP then I dont see why not. Try it out and see...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have to wait to go through this rescue and recovery process before i could do anything else.
Thats fine, just keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will, do , thanks. will contact you soon
See you then...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh, one more thing. when do i insert the reboot disc after the recovery is done?
After the recovery is done (again) you shouldnt have to unless it does not work again. In that case turn off the laptop for a minute, then turn it back on and insert that disc and use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the laptop when you get that error message so it can run off the disc next time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, just completed the process. inserted the disk and it took me right to rescue and recovery mode again.
Does it still come up with the NTDLR missing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, it is taking me to the rescue and recovery mode. the disc i inserted is Operating System CD for Microsoft Windows XP . is this correct?

Yes that is correct. I'm not sure why its doing this so I will opt out for now, and open this question back up to all experts to review this matter maybe were missing something here. If I think of anything else, I will post back.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey, anthony. so i reinserted the window's disc and it started to setup and format. does this mean it is doing what it needs to be able to reboot with Windows?

Yes, it should be, format means its erasing the hard drive before it re-install windows and it drivers etc... So that does sound correct.

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, it rebooted and now on Window's installing devices that . will get back to you when completed and running, hopefully!

Sound great, hopefully this will take.

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so once this is all finalized do i press Accept Answer to have you get paid. and since there where problems and back and forth questions and answers what exactly will the charges be?

That is correct. You are to click Accept but only 1 time and thats it. You can ask me as many questions as you like and only get charged 1 time.

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anthony, now the screen is frozen with a display settings. " to improve the apperance of visual elements, Windows will automatically adjust your screen resolution. What do I do next? to i , cntrl = alt= delete ?
Leave it there, or try to press the enter key to see what happens. Lets give it up to 10 minutes at max. If it does nothing after that, press and hold down the power button to turn it off, then turn it back on and test it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so anthony, my system is up and running but why is it that there is a created local disk (J) which show me the amount of space left versus where it used to be on (C) drive? did i do something to have cause this and will it affect my use of this computer differently than the original setup?

You should be able to change the drive letter of the drives....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

You should be ok even though it is setup like that, I dont see any reason why it would go anywhere else.

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks so much for your help, anthony. will contact you if i come to anymore problems with this issue. hey, do i need to contact my internet service provider to reset the service on my computer?

Your Welcome! Dont forget to click accept and you can still post here afterwards.

No, your internet should be working, if not check to make sure your drivers are installed.

1) Click Start
2) Right-Click My Computer
3) Click Properties
4) Click Hardware Tab
5) Click Device Manager

Do you see anything here with a yellow ! or ? symbol by it? Anything that looks to be not installed or does everything have a + by it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no yellow anything, anthony? did i loose my drive for connecting to LAN (my internet service) ?
No, if everything has a + by it then you should be good to go. In that case you should call your ISP to see if you need to setup something or also you can try to unplug your modem etc if needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, thx, anthony! do i need to click on accept answer now so you can get paid?

Yes, and your done.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, anthony. just talked to ISP and they said that I lost all my drivers. how do i recover these? I thought that having to rescue and recover process that this would not happen

What is the model of your pc?

Example: IBM Thinkpad T61p

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
desk top. : model# 26U sn: LX08KGK Machine type 7387 prod id 738726U
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i use the recovery disc of my laptop on the desk top like i did with window's restore?

No, as the drivers are not the same..

Drivers

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

Ethernet (Internet Driver)

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001122

1) Click Broadcom BCM57xx NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet drivers and software

2) Save/Download

3) Run/Install

4) Restart Computer/Test It

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can i download this without being able to go on the internet with my desktop. can i copy this on a disc?

Exactly, unless you have a flash drive... :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will it affect my laptop in any way? will it give me a command to download to a flash drive which i have?

No it will not, Simply download the file just like you would anything else, then right-click and copy it and right-click and paste it on your flash drive unless you plan to burn it on a cd.

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, i copied to the flash drive. inserted it to a drive on desktop and now displaying
" the contents of this file cannot be unpacked. Please obtain another copy of the file , verify its integrity and try again.

That means something went wrong during the download process so you will need to redo it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, downloaded successfully on desktop. now what do i do to locate and have the computer read or recognize the software?

All you do is double click on that file to open/extract and then run the setup file that you are given.

Use the instructions from the Lenovo Site.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_drivers/q3etn14us13.txt

Downloading the package
=======================
1. Click the file link to download the file from the Web page.
2. When prompted, select a drive and directory in which to save
the downloaded file.

Extracting the package
======================
1. Click Start, select Find or Search, then click Files and folders.
2. Type q3etn14us13.exe in the search field, then click Find Now.
This will locate the file you just downloaded.
3. Double-click the q3etn14us13.exe icon.
4. Click Next. Read the license agreement.
5. Click I accept the terms in the license agreement.
6. Click Next.
7. Ensure that "Save files in folder" is set to
C:\SWTOOLS\drivers\ethernet\Q3ETN14US13.
8. Click Next. If you see a prompt saying "Unable to create the
specified output folder!", click OK, then click Next.
9. Click Finish.

Installing the package
======================
Detailed installation notes are available by opening the index.htm
file in the following directory:
C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\ethernet\Q3ETN14US13\Manuals\English

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
anthony, i need to get away from this and start again tomorrow. can i hit you up again? will this cost me additional $$$ ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did all that you and the instruction said for me to do but it can not find the file/folder yet i can see it in my document files

There should be a setup file in there to run.

Sure thing, I'll be here. No, but you need to click on accept now as you got the pc back up and running. You can still use this post after you do that to get in touch with me.

There are 4 ways to get back to me...

1) Save this page to your Favorites using CTRL+D on the keyboard.

2) All answers are emailed to you. You can use the link to reply back.

3) Log into www.justanswer.com and click on View My Questions to get back to me.

4) By Request - http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-anthony-brewster

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will there be additional cost?

Again, no as long as you come back HERE to me, then you will not be charged anymore.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks, anthony! really appreciate all that you're doing here but i am totally exhausted. will get back to you tomorrow.
See you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello again, anthony. back and hopefully this problem with my computer will be resolved. I downloaded the and copied the software to my problem computer. I did follow your instruction and the guideline with the site that you sent to me. however, the yellow symbols still exits and still no internet connection. why isn't it recognizing the software?
After you extracted the files, did you actually see it installing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes

I will give you the link to all the divers from the Lenovo Website. Make sure you download and install the ones you need...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page

1) Audio - ADI SoundMAX audio driver for Windows XP
2) Communication
3) Core Chipset - IMPORTANT
4) Modem - 56k data/fax modem driver for Windows XP and 2000 - ThinkCentre, ThinkStation
5) Networking - 56k data/fax modem driver for Windows XP and 2000 - ThinkCentre, ThinkStation
6) Video - NVIDIA video driver for Windows 2000 and XP - 3000 J100, J115 / ThinkCentre A53, A55, A60, M55e (UNLESS YOU HAD ATI) but most likely it was NVIDIA

Please download and extract/install those 1 by 1. Then restart the computer each time, then check your Device Manager and there should be "NO" Yellow Marks there anymore. If there is, tell me exactly where you see it (like under unknown devices, etc) and what it says it is called...

NOTE: I have to go out for a bit, I'll check back once I get back home on this issue and reply back...

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i clicked on the site you gave me. asked me to choose a product. ie... accessories and updates....server.... software ... etc what or where do i go from here?

Download Software and Drivers (Left-Hand Side) and your model should be 3000 J115 (7387-26U)....

If you have trouble with doing that, your best to call IBM/Lenovo to get the proper place for your drivers to make sure you get the right thing you need or it will not work right.

Lenovo: 1-877-453-6686

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
with a lenovo tech support now. thx for all you help. so now i should accept answer so you can get paid, right? whats the number to customer service to unsubscripe? cheers!

Yes, simply click accept. If you did not sign up for a subscription, then you have nothing to do.

JA Help

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thanks!