namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  M.S. Signals and Information Processing
31303650

Im having a problem with my homepage, which is rogers.my.yahoo.com When

Customer Question

I'm having a problem with my homepage, which is rogers.my.yahoo.com
When I sign in, I get an error message in a rectangular box with an orange triangle at the left side that states:
"We noticed you may have signed in or signed out in another window. Click OK to reload your page".
The page is not accessible, seems to be "greyed out" and my cursor turns to a red circle with a diagonal red slash on a white background, like a "no smoking" symbol but without the cigarette.
I have clicked on the OK, the page reloads and does exactly the same thing. I have tried this several times, and the same thing happens each time. I have tried using a different browser (IE 9, version 9.0.8112.16421, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox), all have the same issue with this page.
I would LIKE to keep using my.yahoo.com... but there is obviously a scripting problem of some sort, since the page will NOT reload as expected. I have checked all computers I use, and am NOT logged into my.yahoo.com on any of them. I have cleared my cache, my cookies, and reset my browser settings in each of the above browsers but nothing is fixing this problem.
Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 3 years ago.

Najeeb :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Najeeb :

Have you tried restarting your computer?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Yes I have restarted, cleared the cache, cleared my cookies, reset my browser, tried three different browsers...same problem with all three.

Najeeb :

Have you tried www.yahoomail.com instead?

Najeeb :

Can you sign in from there?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

This seems to be a problem for many people judging from a google search on the error message text. I have posted it in Yahoo Answers and there are several people complaining of the same thing. I can access my webmail just fine. It is only my rogers.my.yahoo.com homepage that displays this message.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Yes, I can sign in from there... but that is not the homepage that I am getting this error on... the customized my.yahoo.com page is the issue, not my mail.

Najeeb :

I see.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

I've tried both http://ca.my.yahoo.com and http://rogers.my.yahoo.com and the problem occurs at each URL. I am definitely logged out... and the error message says "Click OK to reload page"... it reloads, but with the same message.

Najeeb :

Do you have any antivirus software?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Yes, and I've tried turning it off. I use Norton Internet Security...but as stated, even with this disabled, I get the same problem.

Najeeb :

Have you tried in Safe mode with networking?

Najeeb :

i.e. by starting your computer in the above mode?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

No, I have not tried that yet.

Najeeb :

Can you please try that?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Sure, but how do I contact you again once I re-boot?

Najeeb :

Before that, how about starting internet explorer without add-ons and trying to sign in?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... hang on a minute...

Najeeb :

You can do that by typing iexplore -extoff in start->search box and pressing enter.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Nope... same problem.

Najeeb :

OK. You can add this chat to favorites and try safe mode with networking.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... I'll reboot in safe mode with networking and be right back.

Najeeb :

Ok.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Hi... I'm in safe mode with networking... tried the homepage. Same issue, as soon as I log into my.yahoo.com, I get that error message and can't access any content on the page. I am going to reboot normally, since in this mode, my screen is huge and it's difficult to see this window in it's entirety.

Najeeb :

Ok. See in your normal mode.

Najeeb :

:)

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

This is not a problem with my computer, I think. It seems to be a script problem with yahoo, don't you think?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... rebooting.

Najeeb :

Yes. Is your yahoo mail configured for auto-login?

Najeeb :

i.e. remember password?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Nope... I have to log in there, UNLESS I'm already logged in through my rogers.my.yahoo.com homepage... right now I have the homepage pulled up, but I'm NOT logged into it, so all my customized features are not showing. If I click on the Mail link from the page, it prompts me to log in. When I do, I can access my mail without a problem, but then if I click on the "homepage" (house) icon, it gives me this message again. And, this happens even if I log OUT of the mail account first.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

It

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

It is bloody frustrating, I can tell ya.

Najeeb :

Which browser are you currently using?

Najeeb :

I can understand

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

IE 9, version 9.0.8112.16421

Najeeb :

Try overriding automatic cookie handling in Internet Options->Privacy->Advanced.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

I've got mozilla firefox and google chrome loaded on my computer as well, same issue in both of them.. but only on THAT page (for all three)... it seems that everything else (including all other sites I browse) are fine... it's like my login is STUCK for that page and it won't allow me to access the custom content page. I know I haven

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

haven't logged in to it anywhere else... no other "window" or tab on any other computer...the message is full of shit. LOL!@

Najeeb :

haha

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... I'll try that...

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Accept, Block or Prompt?

Najeeb :

Accept.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... done... going to try the homepage again.

Najeeb :

Ok.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

No joy, Najeeb... same thing.

Najeeb :

Is there any chance of you being signed in on another computer or a mobile device?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

I'll double check my blackberry... not possible that I have another computer on... my desktop's hard drive pooched on me, and I'm using my laptop. Hang on a sec while I try the blackberry and insure that I'm not logged in there. (I already tried that once, but ya never know).

Najeeb :

Ok :)

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Nope... logged out... (the generic page prompting me for login and password details)

Najeeb :

Is "Remember password" checked there?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Where? On my Blackberry?

Najeeb :

Yes.

Najeeb :

Ok, try one thing. When you get the message, right click in the browser and select "Reload"

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

No, that's not an option on the login. You can select "Keep me signed in", but that's not checked on either my computer or my Blackberry...

Perhaps I'll just use a different homepage and the "heck" with Rogers/Yahoo, this is totally maddening.

Najeeb :

Have you tried the "Reload" option?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK, I will go try the right click menu "reload" option. BRV

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

BRB

Najeeb :

Ok.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

I don't have a "reload"... I have "refresh", but... with the window "greyed" out, I can't do any right clicking on the page, it won't allow me to do anything with the mouse at all... left OR right click. It's just the same damned message, overlaying my customized page, which is "greyed" out (sort of green, actually) in the background. I can't do anything other than left click the OK buttton, which does bugger all...reloads to the same fricken problem, or the right corner "x" on the message, which does the same thing as the "OK" button, reloads the page...which then pops up the same message. Arrrrgh.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Methinks Yahoo has an "issue".

Najeeb :

So you right clicked on the page where you get that message and you didn't get 'Reload' option, right?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

When I right-clicked on the page I got nothing. When I go to the page, (with the error message up after I've tried to log in) the cursor turns into a red circle with a diagonal slash on a white background -- like a "no smoking" symbol without the smoke in the middle of it, and when I try to left or right click ANYWHERE BUT ON THE MESSAGE itself (as I said, I can left click on "OK" in the message, or the "x" in the top right of the message box to close the message), the cursor won't respond to either left or right click anywhere else on the page, so I don't get anything. I right clicked on THIS (our chat) page, to see where "reload" would be, and my options for right clicking include "refresh", but not "reload".

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

OK... so I just went back to the page, right clicked over the messagebox itself, (which it allowed me to do) and clicked on the "refresh" option (since there was no "reload" option available) and... same crapola. It refreshed to the same problem.

Najeeb :

Oh I am really sorry. Actually I am on a different browser so I mentioned 'Reload'. For IE, it is indeed 'Refresh'. I apologize for the mistake.

Najeeb :

Well. Frankly, I am out of ideas with the problem. I can opt out for other experts if you like.

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

I appreciate your time...but judging from what I've seen by googling this error message, this problem is a Yahoo-based issue. It's a scripting problem that they need to be alerted about and fix. I mean, really... if I have cleared cache, cookies, reset browser info and all of that, the likelihood of me still being signed in, well... perhaps a registry issue is behind it, but that's not for ME to have to deal with... this problem is being reported by a LOT of people. They need to know about it and address it at the source code for the page(s). All my other sites work fine, no other issues... so why this one? I dunno, but I think I'll just say "screw it" to the Rogers/Yahoo "my Yahoo" page and use something else as a homepage and source of information until they get this fixed at their end. I / we have tried just about everything and anything we can think of, and it's still f**ked. I don't want Yahoo to waste any more of my (your) time with this... thanks for all you tried. If you do hear of a fix, please contact me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Najeeb :

I 100% agree with you. To me, it seems to be a problem with yahoo and that is why changing browsers and doing all what you have mentioned couldn't fix the problem. Anyways, I will bookmark this question in case I find a fix. I will definitely reply here on the same thread for you.

Najeeb :

Having said that, would you like to try another expert?

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

Nope... can't see how anyone else is going to fix something that isn't broken at my end. Thanks again, Najeeb. Sorry to have you spend so much time on it without a resolution. I appreciate your help trying, though.

Najeeb :

You are welcome but it has been my pleasure trying to help you out. I am sorry that we couldn't make it through. :(

JACUSTOMER-28j7ysml- :

By the way... if I use the browser to "refresh" the page, then quickly click on the "Sign Out" link at the top of the page BEFORE the message pops up again, it takes me to the generic http://rogers.my.yahoo.com page... where I can see news and other links, but without my customization (local news, local weather, my choices of "modules" to include, you know, all that stuff). Just thought you should know that, in case it helps you with this problem in the future.

Najeeb :

Thanks for such thorough details :). I will definitely try to look into this issue.

Najeeb :

Thanks for all your time and detailed replies. I really appreciate this.