Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST

IBM ThinkPad T41 monitor shuts down after a few seconds (suddenly,

IBM ThinkPad T41 monitor "shuts down" after a few seconds (suddenly, worked fine until a few hours ago).
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 2 years ago.

Hello, the first thing I would suggest for you to try is upgrade your BIOS when you get your screen back.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014916

1) Click the link above

2) Click ThinkPad BIOS Settings Windows (SRSETUP for Windows)

3) Save/Download File

4) Run/Flash

5) Reboot PC

6) Test It

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no way to upgrade BIOS because I am not able to see the screen. I am using an alternate computer to ask the question. How do I get my screen back? Is it broken?! :-(((

If you cant use the external anymore then you either have a bad Video Card which is most likely, or the inverter w/cable is messed up.

If you used the external monitor before and it works for so long and now nothing does, sounds like a bad motherboard.

Motherboard Replacement

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Motherboard-IBM-ThinkPad-T40-T41-T42-Laptop-Base-/250864716814?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a68b3cc0e

ALL THE BEST!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to decide if new motherboard ($85 at e-bay according to your link) is worth it. Want to get my pictures off the T41 if possible, then will probably buy a new computer. *sigh*

I don't want to accept the answer until I try the new motherboard, so will have to order and wait for the arrival. *double sigh*

Thanks so far...

Your Welcome! Yes you can remove your hard drive from the laptop and hook it up to another pc via USB Cable and transfer your data off. I also bought one of these and it works great!

http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-2-5-3-5-hard-drive-hdd-converter-cable/q/listingid/37287146/loc/101/210679778.html

:)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh, thank you for telling me about being able to get my data off the drive. That is a huge relief.

I am still puzzled, though...would a faulty motherboard allow me to boot up all the way to desktop and then shut the monitor down?

Yes, emachines does that all the time especially when its 1yr old.

Here are the important parts of a laptop....

1) Motherboard

2) CPU Processor

3) Heatsink w/fans

4) Memory

5) LCD Screen

You do not have to have a hard drive or dvd/cd-rom to get it to turn on. Now if it was the memory it would not turn on, but make BEEP sounds and this is not the case. The LCD Screen did work w/external screen so thats not bad we know, the CPU Processor works for it to come on at all, so that leaves us with the motherboard and the heatsink w/fans.

If the computer gets too hot, or overheats, it will shut down! However, it will not affect your external screen part as you said it did work but not anymore. This tells me the motherboard is pretty much dead and its time to replace it. It appears there are some known issues with this motherboard and IMB put out a BIOS upgrade to fix many of the issues last on March 2011. So its always important that you keep your BIOS up-2-date on any pc so things like this do not happen.

:)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thanks for all the details. I only (re)attached the external monitor today when I started having problems with the monitor shutting down. Normall I use the ThinkPad without an external monitor. The problem seems to have gotten worse through the day (maybe it's overheating more now?) and I'm getting 3 beeps (a long and 2 shorts) when I try to power on now.

If I can get the hard drive data moved to another computer, I will accept your answer as soon as possible.

Thank you again, I am giving up on computers for today! Hope you have a good evening.

Your Welcome!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I tried bringing up the T41 today again after it had been shut down overnight. I am using a flash drive to copy data right now. Just FYI, I am running a small fan directly at the computer and the monitor has stayed active for over one hour so far. I've ordered the cable to move the hard drive information just in case (cheaper at amazon.com, $8.71 includes shipping). I'm shopping for a new computer today! Thanks for the assistance and information. Hope you have a great day.

Thats great news! Hope it says on long enough to get your data off at least...

:)

Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience: MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST