Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician with a degree in System Administration.

The Internet Explorer starting page has become linked to http // o shp

The Internet Explorer starting page has become linked to from Oberon Media Inc. This is not a certified or secure link. I have tried to remove this link and have not managed to do so. I have deleted Oberon programs from my computer. I have done a full Norton check and also run the Norton Eraser program, which reported no threats. I have also tried resetting the Internet Explorer but this has not succeeded in removing this link. How can I remove this link?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hi. I am Rick and I will be your Computer Expert. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Have you looked to see if it got set as your home page in internet explorer options

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. It is not clear to me where the Internet Explorer options are.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
OK lets see if we can get you fixed. Can you tell me what version of IE you are using.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure. Probably the latest. My computer is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion p6205uk purchased in December 2009 from Currys.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

OK it is probably either 8 or 9. Look for tools and then go to internet options. Under the general tab you will see home page. If the site you want to be the home page is not there highlight what is and type in the site you want. Then click OK.

Leet me know if that corrects it. We have some other options but I wanted to start with this one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I do this while online to you?

I have been talking about the opening page of IE. I want it to be without the aforementioned link. I already have Broadband Sky and have kept my AOL address.

So when you say type in the site you want, what should I type in?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

You can do this while on line.

The home page is the one that IE will have when you open IE or click the home button. What would you like to have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will follow your instructions to see what happens. If I lose connection I will return to your website.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good. I will wait to hear from you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I opened IE and in General options deleted http:/

But when I opened IE the link was still there.

I again deleted this link and set Default, which is Now when I click on it went to the AOL home page.

I am still worried that the unsafe link is still there.

I want the default to be the IE home page. Please help.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If you close down IE and when you open it again it goes to the AOL page then the site you are ocncerned with is gone. Is the aol home page where you want to go?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want the default page to be IE.

I should hve mentioned that the default setting is:

This perhaps explains why this default takes one to the AOL home page. I was on AOl only when I bought the computer.

Can you tell me what to type in the General options for the default to go to IE?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I think the misunderstanding is that IE does not have an actual home page. The home page will be what ever you choose. IE is the program and it is that when you open the program. Does that make sense or am I confussing the issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for clarifying that IE does not have a home page. I thought it did because when I clicked on Internet Explorer on the box listing for various sites that appears when you drag the arrow upwards from the IE icon on the bottom bar, it went to a page for only searching for websites but not to AOL or Sky.

I have checked that I can get OK to the AOL and Sky home pages.

Can you confirm that the dodgy link is no longer operative? I understand that you said this.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
THat pest should be gone but if it should show up again do not hesitate to come back to me and we will take care of it. It should be out of yuor hair now.