toughguy
toughguy, The Computer Guy
Experience:  Post Graduate (Gold Medal) with 9 Years of Work Experience, 11 Year of exp in data recovery
21067471

How do I turn back on my Ready Boost feature in windows 7 so

Customer Question

How do I turn back on my Ready Boost feature in windows 7 so I can use a flash drive to help speed up my computer. I have a screenshot ( no way to send it to you) of the error message saying the feature is turned off and I as administrator can turn it back on ......But no details as to where to find it or how to proceed.

Thanks XXXXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  RPI Solutions replied 3 years ago.

Robert Preston :

Robert Preston :

Insert your flash drive

Robert Preston :

Once it's detected, go to the Start Menu, then Computer

Robert Preston :

Find your USB drive in the list of drivers

Robert Preston :

Right click on it and select Properties

Robert Preston :

Once in there, click the ReadyBoost tab

Robert Preston :

Then click "Use this device" and select the amount of memory you would like to use for ReadyBoost

Robert Preston :

Then click Apply then OK and you will be set!

Robert Preston :

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button after reviewing my answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Customer :

I've already done these steps you speak of ......that is when I get the message tis device cannot be used for Ready Boost because the ready boost feature is turned off and it goes on to say,I as adminastrator can turn the ready boost feature back on ........this was my question?

Robert Preston :

Ok, now that you've clarified I can help you, that was not clear in the question.

Robert Preston :

What is the exact message?

Robert Preston :

It may be the speed of the USB drive that is the problem

Robert Preston :

What's the brand and model of the USB drive?

Robert Preston :

99% of the time this message is a result of the flash memory being too slow to be used by ReadyBoost

Customer :

it's a Kingston datatravler150 32gigs......I have used it in the past for the same thing .........Is there a way I can send you a screenshot I don't think you're understanding that the funtion on the PC is turned off It won't except any flash drive for ready boost until it's turned back on ......That's what I don't know how to do?

Robert Preston :

I completely understand what you are saying

Robert Preston :

Type the full message to me

Robert Preston :

word for word

Robert Preston :

That you are receiving.

Customer :

This device cannot be used for Readyboost

Robert Preston :

That's the entire message?

Robert Preston :

I'm more interested in the other part you were referring to

Robert Preston :

claiming its turned off

Robert Preston :

ReadyBoost uses the superfetch service

Robert Preston :

so to check it do this

Robert Preston :

Go to the start menu

Robert Preston :

Type services.msc and press Enter

Robert Preston :

Find Superfetch in the list, make sure its enabled and set to start automatically

Robert Preston :

if it's not, Turn it on and set it to automatic start

Robert Preston :

then apply then OK

Customer :

Readyboost is not enabled because the sevice repsonsible for readyboost (sysmain) has been turned off on this computer.An Administrator can turn the sysmain service back on.

Customer :

You're a bit ahead of me...do I need to do what you last advised?

Robert Preston :

Yes

Customer :

Ok....Says...... cannot start superfetch service on local computer, error2 says windows cannot find the file specified

Robert Preston :

Ok so that's the problem

Robert Preston :

Are you running Win7 through a virtual machien?

Robert Preston :

Parallels or otherwise?

Customer :

No .Windows 7 home priemium 32bit on Hp machine

Customer :

Try and keep it simple Robert I'm an old veteran that's not all that computer savy

Robert Preston :

Ok I'm going to need to do some more research.

Robert Preston :

I will be back with you in a bit.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Robert ,You still there?
Ok try this

Go to the start menu

type regedit and press Enter

Navigate to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters

Once in there set the following 2 variables to these values:

EnablePrefetcher = 3
EnableSuperfetch = 3

Then run the service again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no HKLM available Robert everything is HKEY.and exspanded they don't show me anything remotely close to what you said?
sorry, HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Let me know how that goes

You want to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Geese....i finally got to where you sent me amd they are both already set to (3) values
Very strange. That covers the 2 most common reasons for this problem.

Sounds like your installation of Windows may be corrupt.

Try this

Go to the start menu and type:

sfc /scannow

Let that run and see if it identifies any problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I ran the scan ....but the command screen doesn't stay up long enough to see results.........how can we get the results of the scan?
go to the start menu

type cmd

a command prompt should come up

then do sfc /scannow again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

report: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity Violations

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Robert any further info?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Robert Preston just stopped replying and I still don't have an answer (see correspondence)If the question can't be answered (please advise same) and if not please credit my paypal account back with the 38.00 I spent for nothing ......Note your Guarantee!!

Thank You
Allan Ayo
lazya@valornet.com
Expert:  toughguy replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.. I will be helping you in solving this problem.

Please insert device you want to use for ReadyBoost in USB drive, go to My Computer, right click on it and select Properties, properties for the device opens.. go to ReadyBoost tab and select "Use this device" and you are good to configure the device for ReadyBoost.

Please GO TO the page http://windows.about.com/od/maintainandfix/ss/Speed-Up-Windows-7-With-Readyboost_5.htm for screenshots.

Hope this helps.

Pls let me know how things go.

All the best.

If you feel the information I provided useful information.. please click ACCEPT so that i get paid for my efforts.

Thanks,

Leela Krishna

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I've already ask for a refund ......You obvisously didn't read all the messages exchanged by Robert Preston and myself............you're way behind on you're answer.

thanks anyway

Expert:  toughguy replied 3 years ago.

I wanted to help you with the problem you are facing and based on your post only i answered. I see that you HAVEN'T paid for this question yet so I can't initiate a REFUND.

Can you please contact JustAnswer Accounts Team.

All the best.

Regards,

Leela Krishna

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've already done so .....thanks
Expert:  toughguy replied 3 years ago.

K.. All the very best for your future.

The steps I have provided should help fix your problem.