Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

Bought a new tower fully loaded with windows 7. Dont know

Bought a new tower fully loaded with windows 7. Don't know why but I can't get my "microsoft 2010 to accept the code I was given, all 25 letters and numbers. Please be gentle, I just burried my husband Friday.
Janet Rizza
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hunter Owens replied 3 years ago.

Hunter Owens :

Hello, it will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today.

Hunter Owens :

Where is the code located that you are trying to type in to Microsoft Office 2010?

Hunter Owens :

Is the product key located on the back or side of your computer?

Customer:

I got it off the tower

Hunter Owens :

Okay, so the code on your computer tower is the Microsoft Windows Product Key.

Customer:

yes

Hunter Owens :

Most new computers come with a trial of Microsoft Office, that will run for a certain amount of time. But a product key for Microsoft Office does not come with your computer.

Customer:

This sounds bad

Hunter Owens :

Well it can be confusing, but you have a few options.

Customer:

It showed me the picture of where it was

Hunter Owens :

So on the sticker itself, can you read the text?

Customer:

Yes

Hunter Owens :

Beside the code itself, there should be some accompanying text.

Hunter Owens :

What text do you see?

Customer:

like what

Hunter Owens :

If you look at the image below for example, it will say Windows XP Professional.

Full Size Image

Hunter Owens :

If you click on the Full Size Image it will load it larger in a new window.

Customer:

the code was gfgqw-xjm3f-67w64-7ffbv-x9w6x tab was like the first one but all blue

Hunter Owens :

Were you able to see a large version of the image above?

Customer:

no used magnify glass

Hunter Owens :

Okay, how many product key stickers do you see on the back of your computer?

Customer:

only one on the side of tower that looks like that. typing slow/broXXXXX XXXXXd

Hunter Owens :

No worries.

Hunter Owens :

So if there were two, one could be for Microsoft Office and the other would be for Microsoft Windows.

Hunter Owens :

But if there is only one, then it is the product key for Microsoft Windows that will not be compatible with Microsoft Office.

Hunter Owens :

So you have a few options

Customer:

I manage using all tech stuff/I really don't understand it.

Hunter Owens :

If you're familiar with Microsoft Office from your old computer, and you want to continue using it, you can purchase a licensed copy of Microsoft Office 2010 for around $125. But if you want just a basic word processor and spreadsheet program, there is a program called OpenOffice that is very similar, but it's free of charge.

Customer:

I would be so happy to be able to use what already bought. I don't think that is so mush to ask

Hunter Owens :

How long ago did you buy your computer?

Customer:

7-3-11 While doing hospics care for my husband who died on the 19th

Hunter Owens :

Sorry to hear about that.

Hunter Owens :

So you paid for your computer which came with all of its hardware components and Microsoft Windows.

Hunter Owens :

However, many new computers come with trial programs.

Hunter Owens :

Which run for 30-days or so, but after that they will not continue to function without paying for an upgrade to a product key.

Customer:

I paid for windows 7 installed , why can't i have a working code l paid for? It was not a 30 dayer!

Hunter Owens :

Are you currently on your new computer now, or a different computer?

Customer:

I paid for microsoft 2010! Please make it work.

Customer:

microsoft office 2010!!!!!!!!

Hunter Owens :

Okay, if you paid for Microsoft Office 2010 when ordering your computer there would have been an additional fee of around $100 and the product key would probably be with your product packaging.

Hunter Owens :

The one key on the back of your computer is for Microsoft Windows, which is separate from Office.

Hunter Owens :

It would look like the image below,

Full Size Image

Customer:

I says Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium/Edition familale Premium wait wait

Customer:

I think I got riped off I'm reading the box

Customer:

Office 2010 preloaded (purchase of a product key required to activate a full office 2010 suite

Hunter Owens :

Correct.

Hunter Owens :

So it is very confusing and somewhat misleading.

Hunter Owens :

It means the software is installed, but it requires the purchase of a product key to actually use the software.

Customer:

do i need to buy what I will think another key? Why would they tell me where the key is that won't work? Its been a very bad week

Customer:

How much????

Hunter Owens :

If you buy a key from Dell, it's $180. But you can get it cheaper from Amazon for $125. Or, like I said before, OpenOffice is a free program that you can download and install which is very similiar.

Customer:

How similiar, im not tech person

Hunter Owens :

Well, it's not quite as pretty. But the general structure is the same, File, Save, Print. You could always try OpenOffice first, and then if you don't like it you could purchase a Product Key later.

Customer:

Makes sense, how do I download something or can you send it to it?

Hunter Owens :
If you go to OpenOffice's website at www.OpenOffice.org and then click on the I want to download OpenOffice.org link. The download will include a variety of OpenOffice subprograms for spreadsheets, presentations, and more. You can choose to install all of these or only Writer for document creation purposes.
Customer:

both are free? i am surportting myself now!

Hunter Owens :

Writer (free) is part of OpenOffice (free).

Hunter Owens :

If that makes sense.

Customer:

Nothing make sense anymore

Hunter Owens :

So Microsoft Office includes various programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Customer:

not publisher?

Hunter Owens :

No, Publisher is not included in Office Home & Student.

Hunter Owens :

You can purchase it individually for $118, or as part of Microsoft Office Professional.

Customer:

Thank you

Hunter Owens :

So, sorry for the confusion and recent tragedy. Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No thank you for keeping it simple. Wait why did they give me a fake key number? Does it happen a lot?

Hunter Owens :

The product key number isn't fake, it's just for "Windows" which is separate from "Office".

Hunter Owens :

If you don't have any further questions, you can click on the Accept button to end our chat. Have an excellent day.

Experience: Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.