Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
20388524

In Microsoft Works v. 9, how can I designate a default folder

In Microsoft Works v. 9, how can I designate a default folder to automatically open whenever I want to open or close a document?

Ryan H :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today.

Ryan H :

As far as I know, there is no way to change the default location where files are opened/saved in Works (Unlike other programs). Is she having trouble finding the My Documents location?

Customer:

No, she has all her documents in a folder called "Documents", and we can get to it, but it takes going through several steps in the "tree" to get to that folder. It used to open that folder every time automatically - - - until I wanted to put that folder in a different location in the "tree". Somehow, the program lost its connection with that folder and will not go to it automatically when opening or saving documents - - - even though I put it back in the SAME location in the "tree" - I hope that's what you call the big "outline" of all the folders.

Ryan H :

You said "until I wanted to put that folder in a different location in the "tree" -- Can you explain this a bit more, exactly what steps you did?

Customer:

I just dragged and dropped that "Documents" folder to the location in the tree that I thought made more sense. It HAD been a sub-folder for an empty folder called "Downloads".

Ryan H :

Can you please close Works, then Open "Computer" or Explorer and navigate so you can see the My Documents folder. Then right click on it and select "Properties". Then click on the "Location" tab. You can try to "Restore Default". Then open Works again and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't you might have to re-install Works.

Customer:

I can't do it now because I am at MY computer, not hers. I certainly will try it - - - and I'm thinking I WILL have to re-install Works if your suggestion doesn't work. I hope she has the disk for it and the program didn't come "with" the cheap computer. I will check. Can I leave you for a while, go next door, start her computer, do what you suggest and get back to you? How do I get back to you? (I am NOT a "chiseler".)

Ryan H :

Yes, Works usually is bundled with the computers almost never downloaded. You can leave the chat open, I will l be online most of the day, you can pop back in and give me an update whoever you have one. You might also recommend her using Open Office (www.openoffice.org) That is a free suite of tools very similar to Microsoft Office, she might have better luck using those programs.

Customer:

Old people don't like to learn new things. :-) I've had some success. With your default location suggestion, I was able to get the program to automatically open the "Microsoft Works" folder, but not the "My Documents" sub-folder I created within that folder. I created a couple of test documents and opened "Save AS . . ." and it opened the "Microsoft Works" folder right off, but NOT the "My Documents" folder. When I got to Properties for "My Documents", there is NO "Location" tab like there IS for the folder 'above' it, the Microsoft Works main folder.

Customer:

Continued - Is there any reason I should NOT use the Microsoft Works folder itself as a place to store and open documents? It seems to work. Is there any problem in doing that?

Ryan H :

Not at all, its just a matter of preference.

Customer:

Oh, Ok. I guess we're done. You get paid! Thank you.