Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I cannot find the spell check on new Yahoo mail please help

Customer Question

I cannot find the spell check on new Yahoo mail please help me. I also don't like the new Yahoo Mail and how can I get back to Mail Classic? Please help me as I am 66 and frustrated please help me?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 3 years ago.

Ryan H :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today. Your having difficulty finding the Spellcheck option in the "new" Yahoo?

Ryan H :

You don't have to press the Accept button until we solve your problem.

Customer:

I need help as there is no spellcheck for the new Yahoo Mail and I don't like the new one at all and want to get back to Mail Classic please

Ryan H :

Ok, I will show you where the spell check is. Can you please start a new message (unless you already have one open)

Customer:

I saw yours but I don't have the check mark on my email when I go to type an email cna I email you and show you what shows on mine when I compose an email??? This is so frustrating and want MAIL CLASSIC back please as I am so frustrated and don't at all like the new format. Please help me please Ryan. Ryan is the name of my 22 year old grandson so please be a good boy and help me out of this please.

Ryan H :

I will do my best to help you! Does your email look the same as mine exactly (color and format) just without the checkmark, or does it look completely different? The more details you give me the quicker we will figure it out.

Customer:

if you give me your email I can send you what mine looks like as I am not computer saavy as my grandson taught me how to email and that all I know please help me as if I am stuck with this new format need to know where spellcheck is on my format.

Ryan H :

Unfortunately, we can only chat on here. Just answer my questions and we will get it solved. Does your Yahoo, look like the picture that I sent over?

Customer:

yes I think so

Ryan H :

Ok, can you read to me from LEFT to RIGHT each button name (Black buttons).

Ryan H :

Sorry, never mind. Can you tell me which buttons are missing, verses my picture.

Customer:

After the picture that looks like headphones I have a check mark and an arrow pointing down. I guess that is the speel check but when I composed email and I did mispelled and underlined in red I clicked the checkmark and no words came up and no change in misspelled word.

Ryan H :

Don't click on the checkmark, click to the right of it where the arrow is, it will open a menu and it will have a Spellcheck option, click that and you should be good.

Customer:

I did that and it is just English and you scroll down and its in differrant languages

Ryan H :

Ok, I got it figured out (Took me a while, sorry.) Type a few sentences in the email with some misspellings, then press the check mark, and you will get a pop up box, click OK, then your misspelled words will be underlined in red. RIGHT click on the misspelled word, and you will get suggestions on how to fix it.

Customer:

It is still not working as when you click spell check it want you to click language and then I clicked english USA and nothing.

Customer:

I wish so much I can get back to mail Classic as this STINKS the new format.

Ryan H :

I know it, they made it much more difficult to use. Did you try my suggestion: ( Type a few sentences in the email with some misspellings, then press the check mark, and you will get a pop up box, click OK, then your misspelled words will be underlined in red. RIGHT click on the misspelled word, and you will get suggestions on how to fix it. )

Customer:

Now when I go to compose email there is nothing for me to click anyplace and I am on Rich Text but nothing to check, this is so frustrating Ryan and don't know what to do as like I said nothing like above sample scissors, paperclip and so on nothing. Why can't I get my old Mail Classic back as this is so ridiculous to make something so difficult when Mail Classic was easier. it said 2x faster and all these false claims and nothing like it said. What do I do now????

Ryan H :

Ok, right above where those buttons are supposed to be, you will see three little "tabs", they will say, ATTACHMENTS, EMOTICONS and FORMAT -- Do you see that?

Customer:

Yes I see that Ryan

Ryan H :

Can you click on Format please.

Customer:

I clicked format and now I see them again Ryan, and tried and mispelled words and nothing

Ryan H :

Ok, do you see red lines underneath the misspelled words?

Customer:

I clicked format and now I see them again. I also misspelled words and did what you said but nothing

Customer:

Yes I see the red line

Ryan H :

Ok, Put your mouse cursor directly over that word with the red line. Then RIGHT click on it.

Customer:

I mispelled and red line was under word but when I tried to click the word no finger was pointing on word so I couldn't click and what do you mean Right Click it???? so couldn't do it Ryan

Ryan H :

Ok, are you using a mouse?

Customer:

Yes I am

Ryan H :

Ok, are there buttons on the mouse

Customer:

No its a wireless mouse

Ryan H :

Is your mouse an Apple mouse with White on the top, silver on the bottom?

Customer:

It is all white top and bottom

Customer:

It is Apple sorry I forgot to say apple

Ryan H :

Ok, try putting your mouse cursor over top of the underlined word, and then using the mouse, press on the right side of the mouse (instead of the center or the left).

Customer:

I will try right now and get back to you asap.

Ryan H :

Thanks.

Customer:

Didn't work as again I mispelled and red line appeared as there is a red line now as I spelled misspelled wrong above and there is a red line under that but nothing Ryan. This is so frustrating for an old grandma

Ryan H :

Is this the mouse you have?

Full Size Image

Customer:

I am ready to give up and get a PC as I guess that would give me a different email format as this is ridiculous Ryan. or just give up all together here Ryan. yes it is the mouse I have Ryan

Ryan H :

Full Size Image
Look carefully here and see where you need to press on the mouse when your cursor is on top of a word.

Ryan H :

When you properly right click a word, it will pop up a small box with other word suggestions.

Customer:

I will try Ryan as I only have the gray button in middle I am looking and there is something on the mouse in mage gray button on your image of mouse you sent me.

Ryan H :

The button is hidden. You need to press just to the RIGHT of the center gray ball(button) on your mouse.

Customer:

I did what you said and not working as you knoe how the hand and the finger points to where you want to clck, this hand and finger doesn't appear to click

Ryan H :

Ok, click the checkmark.

Customer:

The one on the right side???? I have done that and clicked spell check but then it wants you do click language and I did then went back to underlined mispelled word and nothing Ryan.

Ryan H :

Ok, where you see the Checkmark and the arrow, are actually two different buttons with a line separating them. You need to click directly on the checkmark. NOT on the arrow.

Customer:

I did what you said and it says view listing and right click but I can't right click I tried and no listing of words NONE, I am so lost ryan and not working

Ryan H :

Ok, don't get ahead of me.

Ryan H :

Click the checkmark button and tell me what happens

Customer:

says when I click the arrow Misspelled words are now underlined in red to view corrections on any misspelled words just right click that is what it says and I click OK so it leaves the pages as it pops up when you click arrow and that is what its says above

Ryan H :

Good, ok. Do you use the mouse with your left hand or right hand?

Ryan H :

This is what it looks like when you click on the word with the right mouse button.

Full Size Image

Ryan H :

We seem to have been disconnected. If you no longer need assistance with this problem please click the Accept button, otherwise please let me know. Thanks.

Customer:

l still need your help Ryan and going to try againwhat you have just emailed me. I will get back as soo as I try it right now

Customer:

my mouse with right hand forgot to answer that question Ryan.

Ryan H :

1. Write your email

2. Click the CHECKMARK BUTTON (NOT THE ARROW!)

3. A Popup box will appear.

4. Click OK to close the popup box.

5. Put your mouse cursor (arrow or insert cursor) over the misspelled word, carefully press the right side of the mouse down, you should hear a click.

6. If you did this correctly, you will see a small popup box with the alternative words.

Customer:

I tried again misspelled word red underline clicked on and nothing. As I keep saying I can't click to right as when you want to click something there is the arrow that you can click or hand and finger pointing but nothing to click.

Ryan H :

Are you clicking to the right of the word or directly on top of the word.

Customer:

Yes Ryan

Ryan H :

You have to put the mouse cursor DIRECTLY OVER the word. Not to the right, not to the left. Right over top of it. Then you use the RIGHT mouse button.

Customer:

by CURSOR

Customer:

What do you mean by mouse CURSOR

Ryan H :

The thing you move around the screen (Arrow, Insert, hand icon)

Customer:

ne of these shows up like I have been saying over word.

Customer:

None of these shows up

Ryan H :

I would suggest getting another email account through another provider that pops up a box and allows you to easily spellcheck like you could before. Alternately, perhaps someone in person could show you exactly how to use the spellcheck in Yahoo, sometimes it takes a in-person experience to get it to work

Customer:

Okay Ryan Bye and if you have any pull this format with yahoo email STINKS

Ryan H :

I know it. Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

No thanks and so disgusted with this and no way I can get Mail Classic back Ryan. Any other complaints about new email or just me.

Ryan H :

Let me know if you need assistance in the future, you can press the Accept button if you are satisfied with the help you received today and the chat will end. I know the Spellcheck works, it just has to be done exactly right, and one small little mistake will make it not work, that is why I would suggest an alternate email provider (Hotmail, Gmail etc).

Ryan H :

No, plenty of complaints. Yahoo stopped allowing them to be changed back to classic a few months back....

Customer:

Thanks Ryan

Ryan H :

Your very welcome

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

I found a way to change back to Yahoo classic mail. Please click on the link below
http://us.mc330.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?ymv=0
(login your Yahoo email account if prompted)

Then bookmark the website link above. Any time you want to use Yahoo email, don't go directly to the Yahoo or Yahoo mail website, but use the link above. That link will allow to use Yahoo Classic Mail.

Please let me know if my answer works or not. Thank you.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.