CompuGeek
CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  MCA (Masters of Computer Application)
47701907

I have a maxtor external hard drive 1000 gb which powers up

Customer Question

I have a maxtor external hard drive 1000 gb which powers up but does not show up on the computer. It is several years old but has not worked since one of our moves, and as technology is increasing by the hour, I was wondering if it is possible to open the case and check if it is dislodged inside? The case has one screw which I have removed under the label but I cannot pull the case apart. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  CompuGeek replied 3 years ago.

CompuGeek :

I am one of the Expert with justanswer.com who will be assisting you and will fix the problem in no time for you. Welcome to the justanswer chat

CompuGeek :

what is the model number of the hdd

Customer :

It doesn't have one. Below Maxtor on the label it says "Maxtor Basics Desktop Storage"

Customer :

It is 1000GB and the PN is 9NZ2D8-500 if that is any help?

Customer :

I thought it was a sealed unit as it looks like a clock radio in that there is tinted clear plastic down the length of one side and the other side is the same plastic as all the other sides except there are slits along the top of and botton of this edge. There is a seam around the Unit and when I lifted the label at the back of the Unit I found a screw which I have removed however I cannot lever the two halves apart.

CompuGeek :

At the back of the external HDD, you will find a sticker that covers the only screw that is outside of the casing.

Unscrew this first.

CompuGeek :

are you there?

CompuGeek :

The next step is to pry open the side panel. To do this is kinda tricky. You need a flathead screwdriver, but be careful not to damage the latches.

CompuGeek :

Once the side panel is off, you are pretty much halfway there.

CompuGeek :

The other side of the HDD has 3 latches.

Pry them open with a screwdriver as well.

Customer :

Do I pry open the side panel by pushing the screwdriver down the side between each lug and prying that way and do this on both sides?

CompuGeek :

open this link

CompuGeek :

you will have a picture steps

CompuGeek :

dont mattter if model number is different

CompuGeek :

just refer to it

CompuGeek :

the will be an orange next button to move to other steos

CompuGeek :

steps

CompuGeek :

If your question was answered to your satisfaction you may hit the accept button to reward the time

CompuGeek :

Please ask in case you need further support or have any question.

Customer :

I now have the cover off but it seems to be solid and I can't see anywhere where it needs to be tightened or moved into place as it is a very compact unit. When I plug it in the power light still comes on and the drive makes whirring noises like it is trying to work like a CD when you put it in a drive but it won't read it. Still nothing registers on the computer to indicate this drive is connected to it.

CompuGeek :

The driver can be unplugged and replug it

CompuGeek :

unplug the drive and replug it back and the try

CompuGeek :

if it still doesnt recognize the harddrive

CompuGeek :

then you can get a hardrive casing from any computer store and attach this harddrive into the new casing

CompuGeek :

most problably the casing electronic goes bad

CompuGeek :

do you have any question for me

Customer :

When I had the casing off I noticed one of the wires showed a bit of metal so I put tape over that in case it was shorting out but this has not changed anything. Now I have put it back together the green light is still showing and the drive is still whirring as though it is working but is still not registering on the computer. So it would appear you cannot help me any further. Will take to a computer shop and see if I can get a housing to fit and try that? So thank you anyway as you led me to a site that showed me how to take the cover off even though I broke all but one of the lugs!

CompuGeek :

can you take a picture and post in here so that i can have alook