Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

Every now and again my CPU usage jumps to 100% and the computer

Every now and again my CPU usage jumps to 100% and the computer takes forever to do even simply tasks. I have Norton 360 and I have run scans to see if there is a virus but none have shown up. What might be causing this and how can I fix it if it happens again?
Mary
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

The problem you are facing is generally caused by virus infections. There are many files which runs in the background, so that windows can function properly. When any of the system files, which are running in the background got infected by virus, it uses the CPU to its maximum level and the PC get slow due to that. As you have run the Norton and it fixed the issue, that means, Norton have removed the infected files from the PC.

Now, to save your PC from this type of infection in the future, take some precautions. Do not use any flash drive or external hard drive with your PC, if you have to use them, then after connecting them to your PC, scan them with the Norton. So that, if there is any virus infection, it will be removed. Do not download any type of unknown file from the Internet.Do not click on any link in your email, which may tell you to download something.

As you are faced this same problem twice, that means the PC is getting infected by the same file, which can be in some flash drive or external drive. So, scan them before using.

Please let me know, if you need further information regarding this issue, otherwise remember to click Accept, if you are satisfied with my response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Sudipto,

The problem with the cpu has happened again and I only had my email open to read a new message from you. could there be a virus embedded in my email? I'm not very computer literate so please answer me like you would a four year old, I will not be offended :D)

Cheers

Mary
Do you have scanned your PC with Norton?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Ok, please download a free tool called Malwarebytes from the link below and install it, then follow the instructions in this LINK, to use it. Then let me know, how it goes for you.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

(Open the link below and click the "Download Now (9.03MB)", then wait for the download)