IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Google Earth has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Customer Question

Google Earth has encountered a problem and needs to close. Message appears right at start up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  neelimark replied 3 years ago.

neelimark :

hi

neelimark :

this issue is coming because of a compatibility problem

neelimark :

try this steps

neelimark :

Right click on the Google Earth program

neelimark :

select properties

neelimark :

now select the compatibility tab

neelimark :

check the checkbox for running the program in compatibility mode

neelimark :

click OK

neelimark :

now try opening Google Earth

Customer:

same error

neelimark :

when this issue started ?

Customer:

probably month ago

neelimark :

okay..

Customer:

last year i upgraded from vista to win 7 and it worked fine for long time

neelimark :

Please goto this link and follow the steps to fix this issue

neelimark :

first try downloading the latest version from that link and check if that will resolve the issue

Customer:

lately my screen will go black and i have to reboot. usually when running a video or something heavy as google earth

neelimark :

please follow those steps and let me know

Customer:

i have tried both directx and opengl modes as well as downloaded newest version of ge. neither worked so i restored to earlier point. afraid of loosing my places on ge

Customer:

downloaded latest version and still same thing

neelimark :

It seems like you need a clean installation of Google earth

neelimark :

uninstall the existing google earth using REVO uninstaller

neelimark :

see the following link to know how to do that

Customer:

that mean loosing my places

Customer:

?

neelimark :

I'm not sure whether you will loose the places also

Customer:

five years of work on there

neelimark :

okay .. then don't uninstall

neelimark :

let me check any alternate solution

Customer:

thanks. not looking good

Customer:

think my graphics card is going downhill

neelimark :

That could be the reason

neelimark :

because GE requires lot of graphics processing

neelimark :

you may have to try upgrading your graphics card

Customer:

already did and it said i had latest version

neelimark :

sorry .. I'm out of ideas now ..

neelimark :

I'll opt out this question to other experts

neelimark :

they will help you

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you solve your problem.

My suggestion is to re-install Google Earth. It should solve your problem. You don't need to worry about losing Google Earth places because they are saved in a single file on your computer. You can copy that file to another location, re-install Google Earth and if you don't have any saved places, you can paste that file back to its location.

Just follow these steps:

1. Exit Google Earth if it's running
  2. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Google\GoogleEarth\myplaces.kml
  3. Note that <username> is name of your Windows account. Also, if you don't see AppData folder, you can either show hidden files, or just write full path location (for an example, if your Windows account is John, just copy and paste this location in windows explorer address bar: C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Google\GoogleEarth\myplaces.kml
  4. Copy and paste myplaces.kml file to another location
  5. Go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a program. Find Google Earth and proceed with uninstallation
  6. After the process has completed, restart your computer
  7. Then, download newest release of Google Earth
  8. Run setup and wait until installation has completed
  9. Open Google Earth and see if you have your saved places there
  10. If not, exit Google Earth and paste back your myplaces.kml file to the location mentioned above
  11. Start Google Earth again and it should all work

Also, you can use that myplaces.kml file on another computer. On Windows XP, myplaces.kml is located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\myplaces.kml
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Went through the steps but as soon as the newly downloaded GE began to initialize same problem.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
OK. Since when did it start to happen?

I would suggest restoring your Windows 7 using System Restore to the date it was working with no problems. To do this, click Start, type System Restore and press Enter. Once the window opens, click Next and choose a restore point based on time and date. There's also an option to show more restore points (tick a box in the bottom left corner). Select desired restore point and click Next, then Finish to proceed. Don't worry, your personal files won't be affected.

So, try it and tell me if this suggestion helped.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Issue began late June so I restored to late May to make sure. GE worked after restore. I updated windows, java ect. after restore. Thought Google Chrome (which was downloaded by accident (didnt uncheck box sometime or nother) was conflicting with GE so I uninstalled (normal use IE). GE 5+ still worked after these updates. Then I updated GE 5+ to the newer 6+ and right back to same issue. Restored again and GE works. My laptop is 5 years or older Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747. GE 6+ is the issue it seems! My question now is can I continue using GE 5 without it automatically updating until laptop replaced. I did save myplaces onto thumb drive. Its been great talking to you but my next ? is did the guy before you run off with my $ with really no service and now I owe you? Wife, two young kids expensive and you deserve the $ + bonus not the no help guy, no pun intended! Also is there way to contact or request you for future service and cut out middle man? SGT Dean US Army Airborne! Tango Mike!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

I did some research about Google Earth 6 crashes and found out a possible solution for your problem.

If you now have Google Earth 6 installed (the one that is bugged), you can try this:

1. Disconnect your Internet connection
  2. Start Google Earth and ignore errors regarding no Internet connection
  3. Google Earth should start normally, so go to Tools > Options... > General tab. Uncheck Show tooltips and Show start up tips
  4. Click OK and exit Google Earth
  5. Connect back your Internet connection and start Google Earth
  6. Google Earth 6 should work now

If that doesn't help you, then you should use Google Earth 5. To revert to version 5, you can either restore your computer again to an earlier time using System Restore or you can download Google Earth 5.0 setup file HERE.

Once you have Google Earth 5 installed on your computer, before starting it, you will need to disable Google update service, so it can't automatically update to version 6. Follow this steps:

1. Click Start and type in Search: services.msc and press Enter
  2. A window will open containing all kinds of services (programs that runs on your computer) - some of them are disabled, but some are enabled
  3. Find Google Software Updater, double click on it and a window should open
  4. Under Startup type, which is set to Automatic, click on it and select Disabled
  5. Under Service status, if it says Running, click on Stop
  6. Press OK

Sometimes there are no Google services there, so you should follow this steps to find other ways that Google use to silently update all its products, including Google Earth:

1. Click Start and type in Search: task scheduler and press Enter
  2. Task Scheduler window should open
  3. Using left panel, click on Task Scheduler Library
  4. You should see task names. There should be 2 Google tasks: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore and GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
  5. Right click on 1st Google task (GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore) and select Disable
  6. Do the same for 2nd Google task (GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA) to disable them from starting
  7. Exit Task Scheduler

Now you don't need to worry about Google Earth automatic updates. Note that if you download any other Google software (Google Picasa, Google Chrome, etc), those products won't update as well.

You can now use Google Earth happily! Smile

Regarding payment on JustAnswer:
We have a rule here: if you are not satisfied with an answer, you don't need to pay. So, if you only deposit money to ask a question and aren't satisfied with an answer, don't click ACCEPT button, but ask for a refund or wait for another expert like me to jump in. Earlier Expert didn't receive anything because he only tried to help, and eventually opted out.

You can always reach me using a link below where you can ask me any computer-related question and I will try to give you the best answer as soon as possible.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-miro/
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional