boxfrederick
boxfrederick, Software/Computer Expert
Experience:  Expert in computer technical support/10 yrs exp, Software Engineer 4 yrs exp, Networking 6 yrs exp
43327059

can u connect roku directly to a modem using ethernet cable.

can u connect roku directly to a modem using ethernet cable. my welcome screen comes up and then i go to set the time zone and time and click ok, but then it takes me back to the welcome screen. i was trying to avoid purchasin a router.

thanks for your help
Category: Computer
Expert:  boxfrederick replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you.

Yes there is an ethernet connection on back of roku, and as long as your modem gives out dhcp addressing it should connect without a hitch.

If having further troubles after trying with ethernet let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it doesn't work. everything is plugged in but I can't get further than the screen that sets the time... what else should I do???
It seems your roku is stuck in the welcome screen, keep everything connected and powered and then conduct a hard reset of the machine by holding in the reset button on back with a pen or pencil for 30 seconds.

Roku will reboot after releasing, once it comes on you should get set up screens in this sequence, make sure your ethernet is still connected.

• Roku – starting, please wait.
  • Roku – launching home screen.
  • Welcome to the Roku player.
    • Press “OK” to begin.
  • Settings - you will be given 2 options to connect the player to your router:
    • Wired – Use an Ethernet cable (not included) to connect your player to your router.
      • Click the “wired” option to continue.
    • Wireless – on the subsequent screens, you will select your wireless network name and enter security password XXXXX your wireless network.
      • Click the “wireless” option to continue.
  • Upon successful network connection, the Roku player will then automatically download and install the latest software. After the software update, the player will reboot.

Step 6: Complete the guided setup

Just follow the on-screen instructions.

• After the restart, you will be asked to select your time zone.
  • Change to your correct time zone then select “done.”
  • The next screen will display a unique code to link your Roku player.
  • Open a browser session on a PC or Mac.
  • Go to www.roku.com/link.
  • Enter the code displayed by your Roku player on your TV.
  • Log into your Roku account or create a new Roku account.
  • Follow all steps, including setting a payment method and selecting your initial channel lineup, to complete the linking process.

Once linked, your Roku player will refresh to a congratulations screen and be ready for use.