Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have tried to reset my packard bell to the original settings

Customer Question

I have tried to reset my packard bell to the original settings using F11 as have the two Packard Bell vista back up disks (pre 2009). My pc will not boot now. The message I get is File: \boot|BCD Staus: 0xc0000098 Info: The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

It boots when disc 1 is in and then gives me an option to selct component to restore (I do not know what to select) and asks for validation codes (the vista product code does not work).

How can I use the discs to reboot and fully restore so I can use the pc again. The PB website says F12 and then put in disc 1 and follow instructions - this does nothing and gets me back to the above.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

1. Did you create these 2 discs? Or are these shipped with your computer in a box? If so, what is the exact title printed in the face of the CD?
  2. What is the exact make and model of your computer?
  3. Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess

1. I got the discs from Packard Bell a couple of years back. 2 discs, Back up dvd master 1 and 2. Windows Vista Home premium.

2. Packard Bell Media 2579 UK (UTOW CUB)

3. Desktop

Dave

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please do the following:

1. Remove ALL CD or DVD from your CD/DVD drive
  2. Turn on the computer then press the F11 key. Keep tapping the F11 key until you see the cursor at the upper left hand corner of the screen and the System Restore screen come up.

Please let me know your results then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Message was:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:

1. Insert windows installation disc and restart computer

2 Choose your language sttings and then click next

3 click repair your computer

If you do not have disc contact....................

File: \boot\BCD

Staus: 0xc0000098

info: The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
But were you able to see the System Restore screen at F11?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no it takes me staright to windows boot manager message I stated
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please try again. When you boot your computer, please notice the message displayed on screen. It is something like Press F11 to ..... Do you see such message?

While the computer is starting up right before Windows attempts to load, press and keep tapping the F11 key and see if you get the System Recovery screen.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried many times and it just gives me windows boot manager message as before. it only tys to boot if i put in disc
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Since that discs came from the manufacturer, that could be the backup/recovery discs.

When you do a system recovery or factory reset, all data will be wiped out and your system will be setup back to when you first used it.

Please load disc one then boot your computer. Please tell me the options on-screen and the available commands for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows is loading files,

then i get select compnents to restore

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
What are the components listed there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

big choice - lots of tabs and options within

- special deals x4

- modem card x4

- country code x 7

- usb card reader x1

- keyboard x5

- software operating system x1

etc etc

It asks to select compnents to restore, export and then enter validation code

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please do not continue with that step. I believe you do not have a valid validation code as you mentioned in your question. When nothing else works, let us check then this method again and see if we can get the validation code for you.

Please remove the disc in your computer then restart. This time, instead of pressing F11, press and hold the ALT key then keep pressing F10.

That this, ALT+F10 during boot up of your computer, right before Windows attempts to load.
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry clicked wrong button. This has not fixed it.

The same windows boot manager appears

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Please try again. Make sure that you press ALT+F10 right before Windows loads.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tried many times - no joy
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
  1. Power on your computer. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.
  2. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
windows files do not load. I get the windows boot manager message - we have not made any progress - Help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is not helpful as I looked at this before I contacted you. There is in fact another page relating to the two discs I have as is pre 2009
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem remains getting past the windows boot manager so i can get to restore options
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Now, the built in recovery partition is really not working. Let us now get back to your DVD 1. In that components screen, choose Operating System.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SWKRN00000 Packard Bell Vista Kernel Module with recovery backup

it asks for validation code. I have long code on pc and numbers on disc - neither worked

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please look for the code in the DVD sleeves. There could be a validation code there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No codes on sleaves!

Sorry i am going out in 15 mins for a few hours so may not be able to respond. I appreciate your ongoing help - hopefully we will crack it soon.

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Please take your time as I will do more research about this validation code problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a number on the disc - that also did not work
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please try the first or the last 6 characters (numbers or letters) of that number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no joy
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi, for the validation code, please try PB1337
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Code has worked, operating system restored. It then asked me to restart pc. It will not restart as says bootmgr is missing

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

Please do the following:

1. Turn on the computer
  2. While the computer is starting, press the F8 key
  3. Then in the Boot Menu options, choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  4. There type this commands:

bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press ENTER