Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.
20388524

Hi! I have a hp Pavilion dv4. I cant get the mute button off.

Hi! I have a hp Pavilion dv4. I can't get the mute button off. On my laptop all of my key are white, except for my wireless connection. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 3 years ago.

Ryan H :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you today. What is the exact problem you are having?

Customer:

I can't get the mute off. Can't use skipe. No sound on any program.

Ryan H :

Ok, I see. Do you know how this happened or did it just happen all the sudden?

Customer:

Just suddenly.

Ryan H :

Ok. Hold on a minute and I will see what we can do.

Customer:

Thank you. I'm sooooo confused!

Ryan H :

No problem! Go ahead and find the little speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and right click on it. Then select "Open Volume Mixer" and let me know when you have done that.

Customer:

Done.

Ryan H :

Ok each item has a little button underneath the slider. This is where the Mute/Unmute is toggled on and off. Press that button under each one and make sure the mute is not on.

Customer:

I already did that with no success.

Ryan H :

Ok, none of the buttons show a little red cross through it right?

Customer:

Correct.

Ryan H :

Ok, well that is good. Just a moment.

Ryan H :

Lets check further. Click the Start button, then click Control Panel, click Sound (Or Hardware and sound), and then, under Sound, right click the speakers and select Test.

Customer:

Okay. I did that, but test is not highlighted and would not let me click on it. I Hate Computers!!!!

Ryan H :

Ok do the Speakers have a little green checkmark on them and next to it, it says "Working"?

Customer:

I'm sorry, but where do I find the speakers that would show me the little green freakin checkmarks!

Customer:

Is it under the volume mixer?

Ryan H :

When you are in the Control Panel, you would click on "Sound" or "Hardware and Sound", then click on "Sound" and it will show you a list of devices (Speakers) with an Icon of a speaker.

Ryan H :

Also, do you know which model of dv4 you have? Usually it would be like Pavillion dv4-1200 or dv4-1000 etc

Ryan H :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Hi sweetie. I'm sorry. I'm still here. just had to argue with a service that was hired to help with my computer problems. I was on hold with them for 96 minutes. Give me a minute to get myself together and I'll be right back. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ryan H :

Ok thanks.

Customer:

Can you call me and walk me through this. I pay extra if needed. My number is XXXXX I need to get this resolved asap. I need to make dinner for my little girl.

Ryan H :

We are only allowed to use the chat unfortunately, I am confident we can get it fixed pretty quickly. Do you know the model number Pavillion DV4-????

Customer:

Give me a second and I'll try to find it.

Ryan H :

Thanks

Customer:

1225dx? Does that sound right?

Ryan H :

Perfect, just a moment.

Customer:

I hate computers!!!! Did I already tell you that?

Ryan H :

Ok, now I am going to have you download the sound driver (Please click here) and click on the download link. Once that is downloaded to your computer, open it up and install it.

Ryan H :

Yes :) Sometimes they can be more trouble then they are worth!

Customer:

It tells me access is denied. Now what sweetie?

Ryan H :

Ok, try this one: http://bit.ly/8drKQL -- It will first bring you to a warning page, telling you of the risks. It is a safe download and you can proceed.

Customer:

It says file is already on my computer. Access is Denied. Now why does that surprise me!! I hate computers........ :)

Customer:

I don't know what it is but the computer is downloading something.

Ryan H :

Does it show the name of the file being downloaded?

Customer:

sp41500.exe Does that look right?

Ryan H :

Yes, thats the one. Go ahead and open that and install it

Customer:

I did that but it says file is already on my computer.....Access denied. I need a cigarette!

Ryan H :

Ok, lets do this. Press the Windows Key (on your keyboard) and the "R" key, then type in: devmgmt.msc and press enter. Then expand the Sound, Video and Game controllers category and let me know what items are listed there.

Customer:

Under Sound, Video and game controllers is the following:

Customer:

High Definition Audio Devic

Customer:

IDT High Definition Audio

Ryan H :

Perfect, thanks. Are there any yellow or red icons on those items indicating a problem?

Customer:

No.

Ryan H :

Ok, go ahead and right click both items and select "Uninstall", confirm the Uninstall. Then we need to restart the computer. Do you know how to bookmark/favorite a webpage (I need you to come back and let me know if that does or doesn't work)

Customer:

I'll try. wish me luck.

Ryan H :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to come back!

Customer:

Ok I did the uninstall. I put the webpage (justanswer.computer) as a bookmark. Is that cool?

Ryan H :

Yes, if you have trouble getting back, you can just go to justanswer.com and log in.

Ryan H :

Go ahead and restart now and come find me again.

Customer:

If I do, will I get you back? I don't want to talk to anyone else!!!!!!

Ryan H :

If you bookmarked this page, it should bring you right back to me. If you get someone else, you can request me

Customer:

Promise?

Ryan H :

Yes! :)

Customer:

Okay. I did what you told me. What

Customer:

next?\

Ryan H :

Great. Can you test the sound?

Customer:

How? I'm a dumb sh_t!

Ryan H :

Open a music file maybe? or Open skype and call the "test call" contact

Customer:

Okay. Give me a minute.

Ryan H :

Sure

Customer:

I skyped. They can hear us, but we can't hear them. Help me Ryan H!!!!! I'm hungry and need to make dinner. This sucks!\

Ryan H :

Ok, remember that file you tried to open earlier. Try opening it again.

Customer:

What frikin file! I'm old, can't rememeber! I'm pathectic!!!!!!!

Ryan H :

This one: http://bit.ly/8drKQL

Customer:

The download says access is denied. What Not. Oh wait..it now says installing driver software, What do I do now. By the way, did I tell you I hate computers??????? :(

Ryan H :

:) We will get you through it. Once it finishes installing, test your sound again. And if you still have no sound, restart the computer again.

Customer:

This sucks! Do you do this as a living?

Ryan H :

Yes, but I use a Mac as my main computer :)

Ryan H :

(Much less problems)

Customer:

I'm Poor! I would love a mac. My x-husband has one and he thinks he

Customer:

is the sh_t!

Ryan H :

Yeah, they cost more, but I think you are paying extra to not have problems like this :)

Ryan H :

(as much at least)

Customer:

I totally agree! We need to get more big biz to understand the power of the mac. I'm really getting tired and still need to make dinner. Thank you for hanging in there with me. You're a sweetie!

Ryan H :

No problem. Restart the computer whenever it is done installing and come find me again.

Customer:

Okay dumb question....how do I know when it's done installing?

Ryan H :

The driver installation window (The one that popped up when you opened the file) should say "Installed" or finished, or something to that effect.

Customer:

Okie dokie.

Customer:

I'm old, I say crap like that :)

Ryan H :

The installation usually only takes a minute, so look for that window and see if it completed

Customer:

I Clicked on the volume and it says volume 67. nothing about complete, but I can hear something running. Do you hate me yet?

Ryan H :

Ok, go ahead and restart the computer and then when it is started again try to make another skype call.

Customer:

Okay. This is getting really boring. How do you do this all day! Restarting now.

Customer:

I restarted and skyped. They can hear me, but I can't hear them. I'm really getting hungry and have a pork roast to put on the grill. Ryan we have got to fix this crap before I pass out!!

Ryan H :

Ok, can you plug some headphones into the computer and see if you get sound coming out of there?

Customer:

Give me a sec.

Customer:

Did that. we still can't hear them and I'm still hungry. What's next?

Ryan H :

Ok, go ahead and go to this page: http://bit.ly/aPY3xM and click on the "Fix it" button on that page, You may select "Run" instead of "Save" after you click the button. This will load a Sound Troubleshooter that will walk you through diagnosing your problem. Give that a try.

Customer:

Went to link. Fixit center replied ..... did not detect any problems...no fixes were applied. I'm smoking again....be back in a sec. I'm getting pissed!!!!!

Ryan H :

Ok, you said you had a mute button on your keyboard right? Is it still lit?

Customer:

Nope.

Ryan H :

Ok, I have a few more things we can try. Go ahead and do this:

Click on your start menu and type in "recovery manager" and hit enter.

Once recovery manager is opened, select "hardware driver reinstallation"

Hit next, then find the audio driver (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, or Conexant)

Let that reinstall and the computer should restart when it's done.

Customer:

Went to recovery Manager...no "hardware driver reinstalltion" Option. I'm still hungry!!!

Ryan H :

Ok, lets do this: Press the Windows key and the "R" key. Type in (Like earlier): devmgmt.msc and press Enter. Expand the Sound, Video and Games Controller category. Right click on the "IDT High Definition Audio" item and select "Update Driver", click on "Search Automatically" for updated driver software. Follow the prompts.

Customer:

Okay,,,, I'm done. I did everything you said. still Not working, they can hear us, we can't hear them. I need to make dinner (at 10:00 p.m. , not acceptable) for my 11 year old. Can we pick this up tomorrow afternoon (say 4:00 p.m.). I did everything you said .... still not working. I paid $80 for this service. I do believe you can help, but I need to make my daughter dinner, get her in bed, and get up and go to work at 4:00 A.M. Can't continue today. Can we start again tomorrow at 4:00 pm est?

Ryan H :

Sure no problem. I will be on at 4:00 pm EST.

Customer:

Thank you sweetie, but I can't take it anymore, not with a little one to take care of. Talk to you tomorrowl

Ryan H :

Ok, thanks!

Customer:

Go home and relax. I'm going to make dinner. See Ya!

Ryan H :

Ok, Bye!

Customer:

Hi Ryan! You out there?

Customer:

Wanted to let you know that I went into my HP Games and sound was perfect. Tried Skype again and no sound. Tried I Tunes and got a message saying that I need to reinstall software (like I know how to do that).

Ryan H :

Hello! Ok, thats good, it means your speakers actually work, just the software part is messed up. Can you tell me the exact message iTunes gives you?

Customer:

Hi Sweetie, Just got your message. Let me go back into itunes and i'll send you another message.

Ryan H :

Thanks

Customer:

Here what is says "itunes cannot run because some of its files are missing. Please reinstall itunes"

Ryan H :

Ok, that is a separate issue, can you open up Skype please.

Customer:

It's open

Ryan H :

Great, click on the Tools menu at the top. Then Options

Customer:

Done

Ryan H :

Then click on "Audio Settings" on the left.

Customer:

Okay - what now

Ryan H :

In the window, you should have settings for your Microphone, speakers and ringing. Drag the slider bar under "Speakers" all the way to the right and then push the little green "Play" button next to it (To the right).

Customer:

Did that. No sound

Ryan H :

Ok, the green slider, is all the way to the right?

Customer:

Yep

Ryan H :

Ok, to the left of the green play button there should a drop down box. What does it say inside that box?

Customer:

Digital Output Device (HDMI) (High Definition Audio)

Ryan H :

Ok, click that box and let me know if there is another option in the box

Customer:

There are two. Let me check to see what it says.

Customer:

SPDIF (Digital Out via HP Dock) (IDT High Definition)

Ryan H :

Go ahead and choose that one and make sure the green slider is to the right, and push the play button

Customer:

Speakers and Dual Headphones (IDT High Definition)

Customer:

and the box under that is checked...it says Automatically adjust speaker settings

Ryan H :

Ok, try each one in that box, and make sure the slider is to the right, and test each one

Customer:

Got it. I selected the last option "speakers and dual headphones......" I can hear sound now.

Ryan H :

Yay!

Customer:

Will you stay with me while I skype someone?

Ryan H :

Sure :)

Customer:

Be right back

Customer:

I need more time. Now when I log on to skype I can hear them and they can hear me, but now I can't get the video to show. I'm going to logout and restart. I will connect with you first and then access skype. It sounded like something was running in the background. Are you okay with me doing this?

Ryan H :

Yes, that is fine.

Customer:

You're the best!!!!!!

Customer:

Okay I restarted and can now hear and see her. Can you help me with this iTunes stuff?

Ryan H :

Sure, Go ahead and Click the Start Button, then click Control Panel. Click on Programs and Features. Click iTunes and select "Uninstall".

Customer:

Done

Ryan H :

Ok now you will need to go to this address:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and download iTunes again. You can select "Run" after you click on it and it will open when it finishes downloading.

Customer:

Why can't anything be easy???? I Clicked on link. selected run and it downloaded, but after the download I got this message "the installer encountered errors before itunes could be configured. Errors occured during installation. Your system has not been modified. Please run the installer again, or click finish to exit" I ran it again and got the same message.

Ryan H :

Ok, try to download the "Windows installer clean up utility", you can download it here: http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459 In the center of the page it will have "Download Locations", click on one of the "Download@MajorGeeks" links. Run that software as well.

Customer:

On on it...will get back to you.

Ryan H :

Thanks

Customer:

Okay that's done. Next?

Ryan H :

Ok, did that program run?

Customer:

Yep

Ryan H :

Ok, go ahead and try to open the iTunes setup file again and try to install

Customer:

I tried again. This is the message i got. "This itunes installer is intended for 32-bit versions of windows. Please download and install the 64-bit itunes installer instead" I then clicked okay, but I'm not sure what to do next. Are you getting really sick of me yet? I would be!!!!!

Ryan H :

Ok, thats good. Thats a better error message than before. Download the file on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

Customer:

Okay.

Customer:

I've got it back. I had to quit safari before I could download. What else do I need to do?

Ryan H :

Ok, did it download completely?

Customer:

Yep.

Ryan H :

Ok, have you opened it yet? If not, go ahead and open it to install it.

Customer:

Did that and listen to Rob Thomas, my fav, it was great!\

Ryan H :

Ok, so iTunes is working now?

Customer:

Do I need to do anything else?

Ryan H :

No thats it. Once you click the Accept button, we are all done and your free from me until next time!

Customer:

Do I need to pay $80 everytime I use this service?

Ryan H :

No, you can choose smaller amounts, but as the amounts get smaller, your wait time may go up. So depending on your situation/problem, you can adjust how much you want to pay accordingly.

Customer:

Okay. so right now at the top of my screen it says balance $78. Does that mean I can use the service again without additional charge?

Ryan H :

The $78 is your balance on your JustAnswer account, and this question that I have been helping you with is valued at $78, so when you click the Accept button, that money gets transfered from your account to me (To pay me for my work). If you want to use the service again, you would put an additional deposit in your account to open a new question.

Customer:

Cool. How does the bonus thing work.

Ryan H :

Once you click the Accept button, it will bring you to a page that will allow you to leave feedback and a bonus if you choose.

Customer:

Thanks. I will do so. On a personal note, you have been so great dealing with a non-computer person like myself. I can't thank you enough! I love you, you are now my BFF, and I think I want to have your children (kidding). If I do use the service again, I only want to deal with you. Can i do that?

Ryan H :

BFF forever. You can bookmark this page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-ryanh/ and whenever you need help you can reach me. Thanks!

Customer:

You are the bomb! I'm sure I will need your help in the future. When I do, I coming to you and you only. Is there anyone I can call, email....to tell them how wonderful you have been?

Ryan H :

Not really, we are all self employed experts, so a good feedback review (After you click the accept button it will prompt you to enter one) is all we require! :) Thanks very much!

Customer:

Okay, I'm now going to get my adult beverage, click accept, and send a glowing review of the only guy how will assist me in the future. Thanks Again...you have been truly wonderful. Sorry for all the typo

Ryan H :

Your very welcome! Talk to you later!

Customer:

See i did it again! See ya sweetie!

Ryan H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Certified Technician - 10 Years experience working with all types of computer systems.