Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

Our Dell Inspiron 1545 will not birng up windows. I have tried

Customer Question

Our Dell Inspiron 1545 will not birng up windows. I have tried system restore and all options availble; diagnositcs passes everything but one error code is given: 4400:011A MSG: SCSI_0-000_DISK_GENERIC_MULTICARD-TARGET not ready. We are not under warranty to renew is $260, a new hard drive is $60. Is it the hard drive and if I purchase another one can I relaod windows 7 from the disk that came with the computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using I am glad to assist you today.

First, make sure that there are no CD or DVD in the optical drive. ALSO, please make sure that all USB devices attached to the laptop are unplugged especially Flash Drives and external hard drives.

After this, try booting or starting the computer normally and see if it works this time. If not, please do the next steps:

Do System Recovery

There are two ways to load the System Recovery to reset your computer to factory default.

1. Press Ctrl+F11

If you want to restore your system back to the way it was shipped, when the system boots, immediately press the Ctrl key and F11 keys at the same time and you will enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.

This process however wipes your hard drive clean so your data will be lost. You should have a working backup to restore the data from after the recovery.

After you enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility, just follow the instructions and the restore should complete in approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on how much data is to be restored and the speed of the computer.

If Ctrl + F11 (Hold Ctrl key, then press F11) won't bring up the Recovery utility, please try pressing 0 (that is the number ZERO) instead and see if the recovery starts.

I hope that helped.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried system recovery and it can't restore. I'll try again while you read this.

When we try start up normally, we eventually get to "Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically". The problem details are:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.1638

Problem signature 03: unknown

Problem signature 04: 21200682

Problem signature 05: AutoFailure

Problem signature 06: 29

Problem signature 07: No Root Cause

OS Version: 6.1.7600.

Local ID: 1033

I ran "cannot boot OS" dignostic and all tests passed. When I exited the diagnositc tree message "DELLDIAG.BAT Missing" came on the screen.

Expert:  Jess replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that information. Please give my suggested steps a try and see if it can reload your system to factory defaults. There were 2 of them: 1) Ctrl+F11 at starup; or 2) 0 at starup.

Also, try pressing F8 at startup and see if you can boot in Safe Mode.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finally got advanced options for Windows 7. I can start in safe mode, safe mode wiht networking, safe mode wiht comand prompt, enable boot logging, enable low video resolution, last know good confirguration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, disable driver signature enforcement, and start windows normally :-). Safe mode?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried restore to last known good configuration while I was wiating to hear form you and it took me to the same results.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I also tried starting in safe mode while waiting but it resulted in the system repair cannot repair . . .

I tried system Restore and got the message that System Restore couldn't restore the computer due to "unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If someone doesn't respond soon. I will got to PalPal and cancel the deposit.

Where is the tech support????

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Haven't had a response from you for 5 hours!!!!!