John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

When I turn my latop on it says press f2 to enter setup.

When I turn my latop on it says "press to enter setup. I hit f2 and nothing happens. Please help. I have photos I need to get to. Thanks so much.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

cyball83 :

Please specify the make and model of the PC.If there is a service tag number please provide that too

Customer: Emachines E527-2537
cyball83 :

OK thank you for that information,one moment please let me check the PC configuration

cyball83 :

i believe this is a laptop.how old is this ?

Customer: Yes it's a laptop. 6 months old. Has windows 7
cyball83 :

Now turn on the pc and press F2 repeatedly when you see Emachine start-up Logo and see if you can enter bios setup screen

Customer: Just says please wait
cyball83 :

that's all

cyball83 :

do you get the Emachine start-up logo

Customer: Yes
Customer: Should I try again
cyball83 :

yes please

Customer: The big e in the middle yes
cyball83 :

ok please try again

Customer: Do I hold down f2 or hit it multiple times
cyball83 :

usually it works when you hit it multiple times but try both

Customer: Same thing
cyball83 :

OK please try the following

Shut down the laptop and disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Release the button Do not insert the battery back.Now plug the adaptor back and turn on the computer. check it and let me know

Customer: Still says to press f2
cyball83 :

restart and press F2 repeatedly when you see the Emachine logo

Customer: Same
cyball83 :

ok you need to take out the hard drive from the bottom of the laptop can you do that

Customer: W
Customer: And thEn what
cyball83 :

once you have taken it out now try to turn in the system and press F2 repeatedly when you see the Emachine logo

cyball83 :

Turn off the laptop completely

cyball83 :

i mean turn off and unplug the power cable and do it

cyball83 :

i believe its a sata drive do you want the image of a sata drive

cyball83 :

it looks like this

Full Size Image

Customer: Got it out
Customer: What do I do again now that it's out
cyball83 :

Turn on the PC then press F2 repeatedly when you see Emachine start-up Logo and see if you can enter bios setup screen

Customer: Do I plug in to do that since battery is out
cyball83 :

yes please

cyball83 :

my mistake i didn't mention about plugging the power cable i apologize for that

Customer: Have a different screen now
cyball83 :

does it say BIOS setup ?

Customer: Says setup utility has menus
cyball83 :

ok that is bios

Customer: Information, main, security, boot, exit
Customer: Now what
cyball83 :

NOW turn it off unplug the power cable.see if the hard drive contact part got dust particles (just clean it to make sure.do not use wet cloth to clean it.then insert the hard drive properly.press and hold the power button for 60sec then insert the battery back in and check it

cyball83 :

make sure the hard drive is inserted properly

Customer: Says starting windows
cyball83 :

ok lets wait

Customer: Ok it's going thru it's process, it's a good sign
cyball83 :

ok let me know when you reach desktop

Customer: Got it I'm good now
cyball83 :

ok do you have external hard drive ?

Customer: No
cyball83 :

it is best to copy down the data you need.because there is a slight chance of hard drive failure that's why i mentioned it

Customer: Ok
cyball83 :

Is there anything else you like to know

cyball83 :

If not please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

Customer: Ok
Customer: Thanks
cyball83 :

You are Welcome sir,Have a Great God Blessed Day

cyball83 :

please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE