BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience:  A+, 10 Years Experience

the blue light on the front of my compaq laptop turned orange

the blue light on the front of my compaq laptop turned orange and i can't receive wireless intenet service. i tried sliding the button back and forth but it still stays orange. HELP!!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  BrianPKelly replied 3 years ago.

BrianPKelly :

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you today. Remember to click Accept only once you're satisfied with the answer.

BrianPKelly :

Please let me know once you're in the chat. ..

Customer:

ok

BrianPKelly :

What is the model of your laptop?

Customer:

go

Customer:

presario F500

BrianPKelly :

Give me just a minute, I want to double check something for you. . .

Customer:

thank you

BrianPKelly :

Do you know how to access the device manager?

Customer:

no

BrianPKelly :

Okay, I assume you're talking to me on a different computer, is that correct?

Customer:

no

BrianPKelly :

Hmm, okay. . . Well here's what I want you to do. Click on your Start button and you should see Computer on the right-hand side. Right-click on Computer and select Manage in the menu that comes up. This should bring up a new window. Give that a shot and let me know when you're there.

Customer:

can't find manage

Customer:

scratch that.....didn't right click...i'

BrianPKelly :

Okay, when you right-click on Computer do you get a pop-up menu?

Customer:

ill try again

BrianPKelly :

Sounds god.

BrianPKelly :

good

Customer:

system tools, storage, service and apps

BrianPKelly :

Okay, if you look on the left-hand side under System Tools do you see Device Manager?

Customer:

yes got it

BrianPKelly :

Okay, click on Device Manager and then in the pane to the right you should see a category called Network Adapters. Click the little symbol next to it and it should expand the category. Do that and tell me what is listed.

Customer:

NVIDIA n force 10/100 mbps Ethernet

BrianPKelly :

Is that it?

Customer:

yes, that's all

BrianPKelly :

Have you restarted your computer since you began having the issue?

Customer:

yes

BrianPKelly :

How old is your laptop?

Customer:

4 yrs

Customer:

just under -- 3 yrs and 11 months

BrianPKelly :

Give me one minute . . . I'm going to double-check something. . .

Customer:

ok

BrianPKelly :

Hmm, okay. Well here's what appears to be the situation: Windows is not detecting your wireless adapter, like it's not even there, so what it sounds like has happened is that your wireless adapter has failed on a hardware level. Basically, it died, which is why Windows no longer sees it. This is not uncommon when it comes to computers that have been around for a few years, like yours.

BrianPKelly :

Basically, you have two options. . .

Customer:

shoot

BrianPKelly :

The first would be to go to Compaq and have them replace it, but this would probably not be cost effective on a machine as old as yours. The second would be to buy a small USB wireless adapter that you can plug into a USB port and it will restore your wireless connectivity.

BrianPKelly :

The second option would be the quickest and cheapest for sure.

Customer:

i think i have one of those and i tried it and still nothing

BrianPKelly :

Well unless you installed the drivers then it's not going to work.

Customer:

i don't know what to do.

BrianPKelly :

Well if you know the make/model of your USB adapter then you should be able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Also, you would need to make sure that the adapter works. Otherwise, what you'd have to do would just be to buy a new one and it should have a driver disc. Just install the driver from the disc, plug in the adapter and you should be good to go.

Customer:

i think i just found it. is it a disc?

BrianPKelly :

Probably. It should say on the top of the CD if it's the right disc.

Customer:

trendnet utility & driver

BrianPKelly :

That's probably it if the adapter is a Trendnet adapter.

Customer:

yes it is

BrianPKelly :

Okay, that sounds like that's probably it.

Customer:

should i install while i have you on the line

BrianPKelly :

BTW, when you plug the adapter in does Windows detect that a new device has been connected?

BrianPKelly :

Either way. It might have you reboot in which case you'll lose me.

Customer:

it says found new hardware

BrianPKelly :

Okay, that's a good sign. My suggestion would be to unplug the adapter, install the driver from the disc. At one point during the installation it might say to plug the adapter in. If not, just connect it after you install the software and it should detect it properly.

Customer:

ok does this mean that i will have to always use the adapter to get wireless? think i had this adapter from my old pc, that's why it wasn't installed on this pc.

BrianPKelly :

That's correct. It will be a replacement for the internal adapter, so in order for it to channel the signal it will have to be connected.

Customer:

ok, thanks. guess you've solved my problem. thanks.

BrianPKelly :

No problem. Happy to help. Have a good day and please remember to click Accept before you run.

Customer:

ok will do.

BrianPKelly :

Thanks. Take care.

BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience: A+, 10 Years Experience