Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair
16569391

how do I unarchive my outlook emails

how do I unarchive my outlook emails?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

Travis B. :

What version of Outlook are you using?

Customer:

Hi Travis :)

Customer:

one sec

Travis B. :

Hello :)

Customer:

its so new there is no help tab to check verson ;)

Customer:

i am not sure how to check verson

Customer:

i assume it is 2010 latest version

Customer:

i am using the microsoft beta 360 version

Travis B. :

Alright one moment and you want to unarchive your emails?

Customer:

yes please .. all of them

Travis B. :

Did you transfer them from somewhere, or upgrade your email program?

Customer:

I copied my old archive.pst file to new computer and set path in autoarchive to this file

Customer:

now outlook knows where the file is

Customer:

just need to unarchive it i think

Travis B. :

Oh, so you already have went to import and selected the file to import with all of your messages...you did that correct?

Customer:

nope but I could copy pst file to file with ost extention and import it

Customer:

but i thought there was an option somewhere to unarchive

Customer:

there must be or?

Travis B. :

One moment..looking at my program. Basically you just want all your emails and data..correct?

Customer:

yea that would be great travis

Travis B. :

the pst file was formally known as the archive.

Customer:

it is original archive pst file

Customer:

will all folders defined in it

Travis B. :

gotya..and you have this saved say on your computer some place..example being your desktop.

Customer:

yep

Customer:

already set the autoarchive to the path and outlook accepts it

Travis B. :

Alright, to properly import your pst file into outlook you need to do the following:

1. In Outlook 2010, click the File tab.

2. Click Open and then click Open Outlook Data File.

3. Navigate to the .pst file to import and then click Ok.

This will then allow you to see all your information, If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Please accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, also feedback is highly appreciated!

Travis B.

Customer:

mmm ... I right clicked on File and do not see Open button ... just Show quick access toolbar below the ribbon

Customer:

and 3 other options

Travis B. :

Don't right click...just click as normal.

Customer:

i also right clicked on Inbox and only see open folder

Customer:

ah ok ... one sec

Customer:

ok i see it :)

Customer:

one sec

Travis B. :

Is it working for you?

Customer:

opps sorry I was wrong ...I was originally an ost file

Customer:

now it complains it is not a pst file

Travis B. :

An ost file?

Customer:

yea ... sorry

Travis B. :

Alright, I am sorry to inform you, this isn't a back up of any nature. You would of had to export out, your pst file. The file you have is an OST,

An OST file (.ost) is an offline folder file in Microsoft Outlook. Offline folders make it possible for the user to work offline and then to synchronize changes with the Exchange server the next time they connect. The ability to work offline is useful in environments with limited or unreliable connectivity.

I am sorry to come bearing bad news, but you would also need the pst file from the same time you got the OST file in order for this to work properly.

Travis B.

Customer:

i have it :)

Customer:

i am copying it now

Travis B. :

Alright good!

Customer:

to correct locatoin

Travis B. :

Then we can get you working.

Customer:

great

Customer:

look forward to it :)

Travis B. :

Alright you got that saved, your pst file on your computer..

Customer:

yep ready to go .. I already set autoarchive to the small pst archive file and have the ost file ready to import or what ever you ask me to do to it

Travis B. :

Yep, go ahead..

1. In Outlook 2010, click the File tab.

Travis B.

Travis B. :

Did that work for you?

Customer:

ok now i have the autoarchive set to an archive pst file with large size

Customer:

now i just need to unarive it

Customer:

we can forget about the little ost file now :)

Customer:

unarchive it i mean

Travis B. :

Alright! so you imported your pst file...and your data and files are their?

Customer:

actually the ost file is very small

Customer:

the archive pst file is large

Customer:

now i want to unarchive it

Travis B. :

I understand, did you import it to outlook ?

Customer:

i the the ost and pst files mixed now they are back in the right place

Customer:

yes the small ost file

Customer:

now i just need to unarchive the archive file

Travis B. :

The ost file..isn't what you need, need to import your pst file..that is the archive file..the ost file was an offline file from before which you don't necessary need.

Customer:

ok i try it

Travis B. :

follow the steps I have listed for importing and select your PST file.

Travis B. :

Did that work for you?

Customer:

mmm .... it says my pst file I am importing is already in use but I removed it from autoarchive settings

Customer:

i guess something else is using it in outlook

Travis B. :

Alright, thats fine. Then your data and emails would be in a folder on the side.

Customer:

it keeps saying already in use in the current profile

Customer:

some how by putting it in auto archinve makes it busy

Travis B. :

right you can uncheck that your data and files will be there.

Travis B. :

Alright, then you would have to make sure your on your only profile on outlook and your files will be in a folder on the side.

Customer:

i am just copying it

Customer:

then it wont be busy :)

Customer:

one sec

Travis B. :

Alright good.

Customer:

ok almost done

Customer:

i just need to import the ost file

Travis B. :

The ost file isn't needed really, just the pst file.

Customer:

yea but I have some data in the ost file

Customer:

would love to import it too

Customer:

then i press accept :)

Customer:

i would press accept anyway as your support is excellent

Travis B. :

Yes, glad I could be of assistance to you!! If you ever need anything else in the furture, come back and ask for Travis B. If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Please accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, also feedback is highly appreciated! Smile

Travis B.

Customer:

one sec

Customer:

stil wish to import the ost file

Customer:

i tried to rename it to pst file but it of couse wont import

Customer:

i don't see an import option for an ost file

Customer:

maybe i have to convert it?

Travis B. :

Converting it may cause an error to the file..you can certianly try. Basically the old ost file is an offline file..basically with your imported pst file that will automatically create a new ost file as well..if that makes sense...as its an offline folder.

Customer:

do you know any cool converson tools for an ost file?

Customer:

i don't care about errors

Travis B. :

Here are a ton of ways to convert a ost to a pst file:

Travis B. :

Travis B.

Travis B. :

Glad I could be of assistance to you!! If you ever need anything else in the future, come back and ask for Travis B. If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Please accept so I can be compensated for my time/work, also feedback is highly appreciated! Smile

Travis B.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Travis B. replied 3 years ago.

Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for you help :) have a good one ....