Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily
12024030

If you buy a new computer, can you transfer Office 2010 from

If you buy a new computer, can you transfer Office 2010 from your old computer to the new one/
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

You should have received a key with your copy of Office - do you have that handy? Also, did you get a disc or was it pre-loaded on your computer (old computer).

BeBoo :

?

Customer:

yes I have the disc and the key number but when i typed it in it said it wasnt valid.

Customer:

I bought it about a year ago and had installed it on my other computer which I broke.

BeBoo :

Did the key come with the disc?

Customer:

Yes

BeBoo :

Are you sure you are typing the key in correctly? It should not reject it (as it does not know if it is active on another computer yet).

Customer:

yes did it twice and double checked. Does it only work on 1 computer. Does that disable it for another one?

BeBoo :

Yes, it will only work on one computer. Once it is activated on the new computer, the old computer will stop working (Office).

Customer:

thats fine since i broke the screen on the old one.So I should be able to put this on the new one?

BeBoo :

Do you know which version of Office you have? Home & Business or Professional?

Customer:

home and business

BeBoo :

Look on the label of the disc. Does it say 32-bit or 64-bit ?

Customer:

doesnt say

BeBoo :

Please visit this page and enter your product key: http://www20.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?ref=pkc&culture=en-US

BeBoo :

It will verify your key and also provide a download link for Office.

BeBoo :

We can try the download instead of the disc.

Customer:

It says that key number is XXXXX eligable for a free download

BeBoo :

Interesting..

BeBoo :

Where is the Office key located?

Customer:

its ok I have to go. I just wonder if its disabled because I installed it a year ago

BeBoo :

No, there are a few reasons for it, was just trying to narrow it down.

BeBoo :

Either you aren't using an Office key (you are trying to use a Windows key instead) or you are using a key from an older version (2003, 2007).

BeBoo :

Or, you are trying to activate a pre-installed copy of Office with a retail (boxed) key

Customer:

It wa son the inside of the folder containing the disc. I

Customer:

It wasnt preinstalled. i bought it after i bought the computer. Have to run thanks

Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience: Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily