Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

i have an intel pro/wireless 2200bg network connection. intel

i have an intel pro/wireless 2200bg network connection. intel says they don't support for W7. is there anything i can do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 5 years ago.

Omer :

Hello my name isXXXXX am one of the experts here at Just Answer.com

Can you please tell me what type of computer the intel pro/wireless 2200bg is connected to

Omer :

And if you dont mind could you also tell me whether you are using a 64 bit or 32bit version of Windows along with which windows 7 it is. I.E. Home, Professional, Ultimate.

Customer:

it's a Dell Inspiron 9300; currently has vista ultimate (32 bit).have upgrade to w7

Omer :

So you have already upgraded it to Windows 7?

Customer:

no not yet

Omer :

Ah ok so your are planning the upgrade but cannot find your drive since Inetl hasnt made one is that where you are at?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

dell is no help

Omer :

Ok when you preform the windows 7 install will you be using the upgrade or doing a clean wipe

Omer :

?

Customer:

windows upgrade advisor said i have to download latest driver for device

Customer:

upgrade

Omer :

OK have you installed the latest vista driver for the wireless card?

Customer:

yes

Omer :

The reason I ask is windows 7 generally will run a lot of older devices with Vista drives since you are doing an upgrade install Windows 7 will leverage the drivers installed and your wireless card should work

I have used vista drivers for a number of devices on my windows 7 platform installs and they work fine.

As you can see from a few people who posted here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/818408c2-2b2a-4a83-92fe-48281977783b/

They too are using the vista driver for your exact Intel Wireless device.

The other thing I strongly recommend once you upgrade is to get ALL windows updates including Service Pack 1 for windows 7 as microsoft has released a lot of their own version for drivers that will let windows 7 run a lot of devices

Customer:

okay. will the above link stay when i exit?

Omer :

Yes you can always book mark this page and come back to it the coversation will remain

Customer:

okay, i'll give it a try. thnks.