Daniel, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  10+ years designing microprocessors., Website developer, PC specialist and consultant.
47322625

My email (aol) is sending out bogus emails to contacts form

My email (aol) is sending out bogus emails to contacts form my emails. The content is a one line link to a Canadian drug company. How do I find the send and stop this from happening?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Silicon Savant :

Hi there happy to help.

Silicon Savant :

Are you currently able to sign in to this account?

Silicon Savant :

Let me know and we'll get this taken care of for you.

Customer:

I have signed in to this account.

Silicon Savant :

ok, here's what happened to you.....

Silicon Savant :

Somehow someone gained access to your account.

Silicon Savant :

SO what you need to do is the following.......

Customer:

Ok

Silicon Savant :

You need to change the password XXXXX the security question on the account.

Customer:

Done this morning

Silicon Savant :

Problem with changing only the password, is it is possible if they know the security question, they can re-change your password XXXXX you and lock you out of your own account.

Silicon Savant :

have you changed both?

Customer:

OK checking that now.

Silicon Savant :

here are directions on changing the question/answer.......

Silicon Savant :

ALso make sure your password XXXXX

Silicon Savant :

1) at least 8 characters

Silicon Savant :

2) uses upper and lower case letters

Customer:

Done for both.

Silicon Savant :

3) uses at least one number

Silicon Savant :

OK, finally make sure you are running some antivirus software on a regular basis......

Customer:

I use strong passwords that are not tracable to me.

Silicon Savant :

Here's a good free program....

Customer:

I run Norton.

Silicon Savant :

www.malwarebytes.org

Silicon Savant :

Norton is fine.

Silicon Savant :

You should be good to go from here.

Silicon Savant :

Last thing,

Silicon Savant :

if you ever receive an email asking you to confirm accoutn info for a bank, email, paypal, etc........

Silicon Savant :

NEVER fill it out this is ALWAYS a scam.

Customer:

Could there be a virus already running on my computer that is sending out these emails and can I monitor them.

Silicon Savant :

If you have re-secured the account you should be good to go from here, the emails will stop.

Silicon Savant :

Hope this helps,

Silicon Savant :

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

Silicon Savant :

i'll be back in 5 minutes if you have further questions.

Customer:

I con not know for sure until a few days have passed and no more emails are going out. I can only take your word that this has resolved the issue. I guess that is all thqat I can do at this poiint unless there is something else that I can do to monitor the sent emails.

Silicon Savant :

You might dowmload that program I gave you and run it on your PC.

Silicon Savant :

Just to be sure you don't have some virus.

Silicon Savant :

Delete everything it finds.

Silicon Savant :

Take care,

Customer:

By the way none of these emails were showing up in my outlook sent mail box. I was wondering if some how a virus could be sending emails from my machine without it being recorded in outlook?

Silicon Savant :

Don't forget to ACCEPT if I helped you today.

Silicon Savant :

it was sending from the AOL account not outlook.

Silicon Savant :

as long ass the AOL account is resecured you should be ok.

Silicon Savant :

Plus alot of spammers will delete the message in the sent or outbox folders to erase any trace they were there.

Silicon Savant :

Don't forget to ACCEPT if I helped you today, its the only way we are paid for our time here and doesn't cost you any extra.

Daniel, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 10+ years designing microprocessors., Website developer, PC specialist and consultant.