Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CCNA, 12+ Years Repairing desktops and laptops

Acer Aspire 5552 laptop keyboard has locked up I leaned

Customer Question

Acer Aspire 5552 laptop keyboard has locked up I leaned on the keyboard and it has stopped working tech Support think its hardware problem and will send details to return it but is there anything you can suggest that I could do as I dont think its a hardware problem touchpad works fine I'm using a usb keyboard to type this my computer is still under guarantee
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shauqat replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your query.

Please can you try the following

Power on the laptop

When you power it on there will be a message that will say press F2 or del or esc to enter setup, at this point press the corresponding key and see if it takes you into the setup screen, if it does your keyboard is fine, if it doesnt then there may be a issue with the keyboard itself

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, but I thought that I had explained that only the touchpad works. I have tried lots of combinations as suggested by other sites and nothing works. It is still under guarantee so can be sent back, but I would have paid £13 if you could have fixed it without my having to send it away But I will only pay if you can tell me how to unlock it. That is what I want you have not told me this but thank you for trying
Expert:  Shauqat replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the late reply

As mentioned above if you can get into the BIOS screen at the very start of bootup by pressing the F2, del key etc then the keyboard is fine if you cannot then the keyboard is faulty

There is no such thing as a keyboard lock

Regards
Ali
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, cannot accept that answer there are many other answers on other sites some say take out the battery etc, and this has worked for lots of people >>>> Fn + Numlock worked for others I wanted something like that but, as I said, Acer have written to me and given me details to have the laptop returned as they said it sounded like a hardware problem as no letters or numbers work I told you this at the beginning so you must have known that F2 didnt work I have already tried Fn + every F1 to F9 combination I tried f8 at start up to get to Safe Mode or Last Good Config it is obviously a hardware problem I have accidently leaned on the keyboard many times and never had this problem Thanks for trying, but I will be asking for my money back
Expert:  Shauqat replied 2 years ago.
I respect your decision

However there was never any mention of WHERE the keyboard did not work, im majority of case this is within windows

Also you mentioned that no numbers and letters worked, but again not where just that they didnt

I was just trying to determine if you should send it back to Acer or if indeed it was a software fault, if you cannot get into BIOS this proves that the fault is hardware you can almost bet you laptop will be returned with a new keyboard

Wishing you all the best

Shauqat

Please do not click accept or you will get charged