Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

Windows Update KB2518864 and KB2478658 have been continually

Customer Question

Windows Update KB2518864 and KB2478658 have been continually reinstalled on my computer over and over successfully for the past 3 days now. Searching on line seems to indicate that some who have had this problem have ended up losing internet connection. I need to know how to solve this perpetual update without losing my internet. I need this for business and can't afford down time for the internet connection being down.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can use the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to scan the computer and identify the status of updates.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

Just go to the page below and follow the instructions.

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
"Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy to use tool that helps small and medium businesses determine their security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common administrative vulnerabilities and missing security updates on your computer systems."

I don't suppose that I need to know any missing updates or anything like that... supposedly they installed.

I'm not a computer person so this is all greek to me.

If they have already installed, then you can hide them. To do this, right click on each of them and select "hide update".

Those that have had problems with their Internet connection following these updates have tried uninstalling the update. So don't do that, just hide them so they don't keep showing up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. It tells me it installed them. I'm just going by the update history and nothing else. I'm copying pasting one day's history on the bottom of this.
2. I go to the windows update by going to my "help and support center" on my computer and clicking on windows update. I don't see any option in there that says "hide". Where does that come in? After the scan?

Windows XP Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864) Succeeded Thursday, June 30, 2011 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478658) Succeeded Thursday, June 30, 2011 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2518864) Succeeded Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478658) Succeeded Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478658) Succeeded Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Windows Update

I thought you were saying that they are re-installing every day. If they are reinstalling, you would check for new updates, and then where you said you have tried un-checking them... instead of doing that, right click and select hide.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you. But I thought you were saying that the same updates come up every day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are. It keeps telling me that I have new updates that are downloaded and ready to install... and then they tell me they are installed. When I do a update check it tells me those same two need to be installed. And yet in the history they tell me they've been installed dozens of times now. So ... if I can believe the history they are installed and many times over. What else can I go by?

I don't get a "hide" option when I right click. Just "back, select all, print, refresh, add to favorites, and properties".

In that case, you will have to uninstall the Net framework and reinstall.

To do this, go to control panel>add remove programs. Locate each version of .net framework that is installed, right click and select uninstall.

Then they should reinstall through autoupdates and the problem of the updates re-appearing should be solved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before I try doing that... when I did a search on-line about this problem with the reinstalling stuff I saw that when they uninstalled and reinstalled something they lost internet connection; they called microsoft and paid them, and couldn't get it fixed without calling in somebody to fix them. Does this program have anything to do with internet that it could disconnect me?

... after uninstalling they will automatically install in windows update?

Again those are people that uninstalled the update. I can't necessarily explain to you what other people mean or whether the information is even true. I do know that in order to fix this you need to uninstall and reinstall the net framweworks - not these updates... the net frameworks.

Did I answer your question? If so, please remember to click accept. Otherwise, just let me know what other information you need.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I willl... but.... first I want to make sure it's fixed and then I PROMISE I'll get you paid.

I unstalled all those. One remained, but when I clicked on "change/remove" it pulled up the setup program, which I existed out of.

Rebooted and tried windows update. The good news is that those 2 broken records are gone. But... I also don't get anything in there to put in what I took out. It says there are no updates needed. ?????
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

Well, you can install them manually or wait until you get the updates based on other software that relies on them. So the best thing to do, IMO, is spend the time to install them manually so you don't have to do it later when you need an app and you have to wait for the framework to install. One does not necessarily replace the other, but if you go to this page and install version 4, that covers just about everything.

http://bitli.es/k7oDoe

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Am installing right now. As soon as it's installed, and I reboot and try one more windows update... if it's clear, I'll let you know and make sure you get paid...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HALLELUJAH! It appears to be fixed. Thank you. Money coming now.
Excellent! Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Told you you'd get paid. I keep my word. You got me out of this mess and you earned it. Thank you.
Thank you! I didn't doubt you for a second. I was only concerned that your computer would become unusable before you were able to click the button.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here