CompuGeek
CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  MCA (Masters of Computer Application)
47701907

My hard drive is locked out on a gateway netbook. How can I

Customer Question

My hard drive is locked out on a gateway netbook. How can I reset the password? It will not accept my original password.
Category: Computer
Expert:  CompuGeek replied 3 years ago.

CompuGeek :

I am one of the Expert with justanswer.com who will be assisting you and will fix the problem in no time for you. Welcome to the justanswer chat.

CompuGeek :

What password XXXXX do you get is it the power on bios password XXXXX the windows login?

Customer:

its the user hdd password XXXXX bios

CompuGeek :

ok so its bios power on then

Customer:

well yes for the hard drive though. i can get into the bios

CompuGeek :

if you can get into the bios then try to change the hdd password XXXXX will have the option

Customer:

i have tried that but it will not accept the original password

CompuGeek :

set the bios as default press F9 save changes and exit.

Customer:

didthat rebooting... still comes up with [enter user hdd password]

CompuGeek :

ok let me work on it

Customer:

thank you

CompuGeek :

Hard Drive Passwords are pretty much impossible to bypass, even the manufacturer usually can't (and don't ever try to remove the CMOS battery on a laptop, it won't do a thing to help with any password XXXXX you may be having).

The manufacturer can remove the BIOS power-on and supervisor passwords for a fee (and proof that you own the laptop) but not a Hard Drive password.

CompuGeek :

You can contact the gateway service center who can remove the password XXXXX its patented to there model numbers

Customer:

hmm. i was afraid of that. is there a way to do a hard system wipe and reinstall windows? or will i still have the hard drive issue?

CompuGeek :

no if you reset the bios and then reinstall the windows or bring the computer back to factory default then the problem will be resolved

CompuGeek :

but

CompuGeek :

you will loose all personal info on the computer

Customer:

yes. i was tryong to avoid that. but if it meens having the computer back and running i might have to. is there an easy way to reset the bios?

CompuGeek :

i can give you steps to follow and get the computer back to factory default like out of box

CompuGeek :

if that is fine i can give you the steps

Customer:

yes that would be great. but i will still try to contact gateway first. if you could maybe type them out like a list tutorial i could copy them to try if all else fails. thank you

CompuGeek :

i will step by step

CompuGeek :

here we go

CompuGeek :

Full Factory Recovery

This option completely erases the C: partition and reinstalls factory-shipped files from the recovery partition.
Note: All of your personal data files and applications will be lost. Be sure that you have your data files backed up before performing this option.

1.Remove all CDs or DVDs from the optical drives.

2.Turn off the computer, using the normal Windows shut down process.

3.After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.

4.Turn on the computer. After the Gateway BIOS logo appears, repeatedly press the F8 key. The Advanced Boot Options menu opens.

5.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select Repair your Computer, and then press the ENTER key.

6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the appropriate keyboard layout, and then click Next.

7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the down arrow to select a user account that has Administrator rights, then click OK.

Note: The Administrator account is disabled by default.

8.In the System Recovery Options window, select Recovery Manager.

9.In the Gateway Recovery Center window, click Next.

10.In the Gateway system recovery window, select Full factory recovery.

11.In the All data will be lost window, select Yes, and then click Next.

12.The Windows partition is formatted and Windows is installed.

13.In the Recovery is complete window, click Finish.

14.In the System Recovery Options window, select Restart.

15.The computer restarts.

16.Windows prepares to start for the first time. This may take a few minutes.

17.Drivers and applications are installed. This process will take several minutes. The more drivers and applications that need to be installed, the longer the process will take.

Note: The following Out of Box Experience (OOBE) screens may vary slightly between computer models.

18.In the Set Up Windows screen, select the appropriate options and then click Next.

19.In the Please read the license terms screen, check I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

20.In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

21.In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information, and then click Next.

22.In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, select Use recommended settings.

23.In the Review your time and date settings screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

24.In the Thank You screen, click Start.

25.Windows checks the computer's performance. Depending on hardware, this process could take from 3 to 15 minutes to complete.

26.Windows prepares the desktop.

27.Installation is complete. Any application that shipped on a separate CD can now be installed. It is recommended to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.

CompuGeek :

Please ask in case you need further support or have any question.

CompuGeek :

If all your question was answered to your satisfaction you may hit the accept button to reward the time we spent.

Customer:

that is great. it appears that my tablet wont copy from this messege block so i am writing it down. thank you very much. you have been most helpful

CompuGeek :

highlight copy it then you can past it in a notepad

CompuGeek :

use the keyboard control A then control C and them open notepad and control V

CompuGeek :

Customer:

its ok i just wrote it out on a notepad.thankyou very much for your help and time

CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: MCA (Masters of Computer Application)