Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

My adobe reader is not working. It says that my imageviewer

My adobe reader is not working. It says that my imageviewer plugin has been disabled because the Escript plugin is missing. What is it? and how do I plug it in. I have unplugged and plugged all my cords in the computer to no avail. I am 69 years old and not to sharp with the computer, and no children to teach me. Thanks for any help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

1. What is your Operating System? Windows XP/Vista/7?
  2. How did you get the error message? When opening a PDF file saved in your computer? Or when opening a PDF file in Internet Explorer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I honestly don't know which it is . The computer is a compaq that I bought new in Aug of 05. I think it is XP, but not sure. It seems to be not working when opening a PDF file in internet explorer although it also did't work when I ran a disc which had operating instructions for my golf buddy.
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

First, if the problem is loading a PDF file inside Internet Explorer, the fault could be with Internet Explorer and not Adobe Reader itself. Please try to RESET your Internet Explorer settings:

HOW TO RESET YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS
1. Exit all open programs
2. Launch Internet explorer
3. Click on Tools menu
4. Click on Internet Options
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.
7. Then in the message that pops up, click Reset button again to confirm the action.
8. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
9. Start Internet Explorer again.

Another way to RESET the IE Settings is through Control Panel.

1. Click Start => Control Panel
2. Locate and click to open Internet Options
3. When the Internet Options dialog box is shown, click on the ADVANCED tab
4. Look for the RESET button at the bottom part and then click on it.
5. Another window will pop out, click on RESET in that window.
6. Click on Apply
7. Click OK to close
8. Test Internet Explorer again

After resetting Internet Explorer settings, please test if the problem is gone.

If the problem persists, please try to uninstall Adobe Reader then do the cleanup procedures. After the cleanup, re-install the latest version of Adobe Reader:

A. Uninstall Adobe Reader

1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. If you have XP, click Add/Remove programs. If you have Windows Vista or 7, click Programs and Features
  3. In the list of installed programs, locate Adobe Reader. Click on it, then click UNINSTALL
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions

B. Do the CCleaner Cleanup

After the removal, please do the CCleaner cleanup to ensure that your system is clean and optimized.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

C. Re-install the latest version of Adobe Reader

After the removal and cleanup, please download the latest version of Adobe Reader. Download, save the downloaded file to your computer, then locate the downloaded file then double click on it to run the installation.

Here is the download link:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

I hope that helped.
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer