James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

iTunes will not install. it cant find the iTunes64.msi file

Customer Question

iTunes will not install. it cant find the iTunes64.msi file and it get the following message:

"The older version of iTunes cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group>" Here I am.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jesse replied 3 years ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Try following the instructions here for removing and reinstalling everything related to iTunes on your computer.

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

Hi my name is david

Jesse :

Hello.

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

back. i have done this before, it wouldnt remove the apple mobile device support file (the old one, it removed thenew one) or itunes old one . both dated january 11

Jesse :

You'll need to try restarting in Safe Mode, then following the same instructions. Do you know how to restart in safe mode?

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

i think so, refresh me

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

is it reboot and f10

Jesse :

Either F10 or F8, depending on who makes your computer.

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

i hae a hp touchscreen with w7 64

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

bbl

Jesse :

F8 it is.

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

can i do it with restart

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

or logoff

Jesse :

you'll need to restart

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

i still have the problem

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

sorry i didnt get back to u, but i still cant clean up the old versions of itunes and related apple software.

JACUSTOMER-eppxk2n6- :

what do u suggest

Jesse :

Okay, I'll opt out so another expert can assist you.

Expert:  vinodvmenon2005 replied 3 years ago.
Hi David,

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What is the error message you get when you try to uninstall the old versions of itunes and the related software? Is it giving you the error that you need to contact technical support? If it is a different error you are getting let me know.

I have uploaded a file here
http://www.mediafire.com/?gp9rgj99jasxkvy

The file name is XXXXX XXXXX original name being "windows install cleanup". Download and install that file. Once you install it, go to start > all programs > windows install cleanup.

Use that software to uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support, apple application support and bonjour. Then restart the computer and install itunes from

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1047

Let me know if this does not work or if you are having any difficulty.

Thank You
Vinod
vinodvmenon2005, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 10 years of using computers, around 3 years of using mac computers. Can help customers with ipod/itunes issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I try to use the removal tool on itunes or bonjour (the ones i have tried) the remove process just continues with the circle going around for minutes and not stopping. How long should i wait. I have loaded the windows program u uploaded several times to see if i didnt do it correctly. Please advise how to get the program to remove the itunes and related files. Thank you.
Each file removal will not take more than 5-10 minutes, may be 15, even if your computer is slow.

Let's restart the computer and try to remove the files using Windows Install cleanup.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The program was not able to remove bonjou, and the rest of the apple programs. When i did get some removed, i tried to reinstall itunes. I got three could not open key responses that started with UNKNOWN/Computer/6EAEE8AOBCFFEDED11D9EF...... What next.
I believe it is more of a windows issue, especially related to registries. I would opt out and transfer you to the windows section. They may be better able to help you remove the files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you transfer this to your windows experts as u recommend
I have already opted out and sent a request to the place your question in the Windows category. It will take some time for the moderators to review. You will be intimated through email once an expert from the windows category responds to your question.
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

so its Windows 7 your using , i can remote on and install this for you if you wish?

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would be pleased James if you would take over the installation. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im ready for you to take over my computer and get it ready and install itunes. Thanks.
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

I work UK hours , So I am online during those Hours Send me a Message when your online

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im up and online James. Ready when u are. David

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello

Yes i am Online , I can See you have already accepted a previous Answer is your problem sloved ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO it wasnt a solution but he did try hard. I have been after this for a cpl months, ie. to get itunes to install. I liked the idea of you taking over my machine, that is what ultimately worked when i had internet, hp, printer problems.
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem i can do that and if sucsesfull i will ask to you confirm that it was my assistance that resolved the problem so i am Credited for my time

If your ok with this

Click the link below and then Click Agree and Run /Ok When asked

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=2cd0547a-ac0a-482d-9d8b-f0db5606347e&SUPPORT=NET
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its hooked up i guess, norton had a few questions which i finally figured out. sorry for the delay

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im on

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
sorry i did wait for an Hour or so . But your were not connected im online all today
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

James,

Sorry about the mixup. I will be here for a couple of hours. Would like to get started.

Thanks.

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Im online now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=a0720d59-ce24-475a-86ed-f33f5b93bf9b&SUPPORT=NET

Click the Link Agree and then Run /Ok when Asked

Cheers James
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im back

only found one apple software progam to delete. no bonjour or quicktime or..............

that cleaner is very thorough, tidying up the bits and pieces. lol

would you do the install honors, im to nervous. omg what if it works

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i tiried itunes again, it gave the same "unknown" message and quicktime didnt install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

same errors in quicktime

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
Thats strange ill remote on and have a come back when you have time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lets try again tomorrow, i know its late there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Afternoon James, if its convenient lets continue. Thanks.

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Hello David

I am online now >?

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

here i am

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks lets set up a time we are both online

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im on now. If that isnt convenient, lets try for 9 am est tomorrow.

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im on its 847 am in wash dc

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Lets Carry on , Can you do this ,

Click Start >control Panel > User Account >Make a new user Account > Log out with old account and in with the new and try and Install Itunes and Let me know

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i created a new account and tried to install. same three unknown wont open key messages.
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks ok we are going to have to edit the Registry to get this fixed

I will do that for you

If you can log into the normal account and use Revo to uninstall all the Apple products

Uninstall all Apple Software components in the order recommended

a. Itunes
b. Quicktime
c. Apple Software update
d. Apple mobile device Support e. BonJour
f. Apple Application Support

Once completed let me know

cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it only found apple software and bonjour both were disinstalled.
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=e9d7de61-c07b-4f1e-b1ee-b49874f5b82d&SUPPORT=NET

Click the Link then Agree and then Run /Ok when Asked

cheers James

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Please click Accept now that I have Fixed your Itunes problem With a Remote session and leave feedback

James K., Consultant
Experience: Technical Director of IT Company