Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Why cant I watch videos that use Adobe flash player

Customer Question

Why can't I watch videos that use Adobe flash player?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need.

Does Internet Explorer prompt you to install flash player repeatedly?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does periodically. Then I press install. It starts for awhile. Then stops and its message says something like: error, installation halted, check your internet connection. Each time my internet connection was on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see any answer anywhere. I just keep seeing this same box. I don't want to pay for nothing!
Hi - "I don't want to pay for nothing" - so you are not willing to pay for an Answer? I am working on your Answer right now but if you aren't willing to pay for the Answer, I will unfortunately need to have this question closed. Please clarify; thanks.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will pay if I get an answer and if I'm satisfied with it. Those were the terms I agreed to, but I've gotten confusing responses, like an email receipt for the $38.
Hi - it's a good-faith deposit and yes, if you are not satisfied, you can get it refunded to you. I'm not allowed to discuss terms with customers, though, so if you're clear on the terms now, let me know and I can contiue to assist you.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I'm ready. Thanks.
No problem :-)

Now, here's what I want you to do.

Please RIGHT-click on the following link and pick Save Target As or Save Link As... --> http://ow.ly/5lljU

Save it to your desktop or download folder, somewhere you can easily access it.

Once you have done that, please close ALL Internet Explorer windows....

then right-click on that flashplayer install file and select "Run as administrator"...

Please go through the options to install flash player... then restart the computer and attempt to pull up a page with Flash (like Youtube, for example) and let me know how it goes; thanks.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No change. Same as before. The video comes on, does about 10 to 20 seconds then stops. I tried it a second time and it went. The third time it went back to stopping. When it stops the little circling icon goes on and on and on. I tried the Daily Show, which I used to get, and which uses Adobe flash player and got nothing. The Rachel Madow show uses MSNBC video and I never have trouble with it. I'm afraid what we just did has accomplished nothing.
Do you have dial-up Internet, by any chance? Or another slow Internet speed?

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I supposedly have 4GB through TDS metrocom. TDS tried a number of things and then referred me to this link (and two others which have been no help). My computer is 2 years old HP. My wife and I are on the same connection and I get my signal through a router. The TDS expert thought that the 9IE installation was the problem and maybe I should go back to 8IE. I am not a frequent computer user, so I don't know what to do with that advice.

Please note. I have no more time to deal with this. I have a 5:30 rehearsal and won't be home until late. Please cancel.

Hello - you can resume your connection with me at any time, whether later today or tomorrow. I work on this site every day, all day long. There's no need to give up, especially since I know this will work for you.

Instead of uninstalling IE9 and going back to IE8 (yes, IE9 has been causing problems lately since it is so new), you can try using an alternate web browser like Firefox. You can download/run/install it from here --> www.firefox.com

Once you do that, please go to the same web sites you wanted to load Flash on previously (you may be prompted to install the latest version of Flash, so go ahead and Install it if asked) and see if they work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please respond and cancel my deposit. I'm sorry, Fredrick, but I can't wait any longer.
Hey - how about you try my advice instead of replying, wasting your own time, and just install the program I've asked you to, which will take less than a few minutes, and try it out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did that. I told you I did that. And there was no change. I did everything you said. See my 5:49 answer above. I want cancellation of the deposit.
Hi - you installed Firefox already? At no point did you say you had installed Firefox. Please try installing Firefox. Otherwise, you can uninstall IE9 by going to Start menu > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program. Pick View installed updates, then select Windows Internet Explorer 9 and click Remove/Uninstall.

Click Accept at this time as you have found this information helpful. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I never received an instruction to install Firefox. See your answer at 5:15. Incidentally, I am on central time and I only have 15 minutes before I have to leave.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fredrick, I see that there has been some confusion. I have been receiving answers in my email and in this link. This is the first I've seen of the firefox suggestion. How can we pick this up tomorrow?
Hi - I work on here every day. You can simply reply to me tomorrow, anytime.

FS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fredrick, I have been trying to install Firefox. I got it installed, I think. I admit I can't figure it out -- where are my favorities etc. It asked about installing Adobe Flash after installing Firefox. I did that and then got to my email to try the youtube video, I tried yesterday. I said it needed a plug-in and then starting installing adobe flash player. And that is still going on and on and on. So I'm stuck there. What next? The plugin of Adobe just keeps going on downloading Adobe Flash Player.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still waiting. And your indicator keeps going back to fifteen minutes. Firefox just keeps saying its adding Adobe flash player. I don't think this service is for me. I can't sit at my computer for hours working on things like this. Let me know what to do with firefox which doesn't seem to take me anywhere. Maybe I should just pay you and give up.It's been about 10 minutes.Firefox keeps downloading Adobe which has been installed already. I have to leave for an hour. I leave this on in case you have an answer.UPDATEIt is now 2:00 central time. Firefox won't show me any videos until it downloads Adobe Flash Player, which is already on my computer, and which they have been attempting since about 11:00. It is not a satisfactory solution. My problem is with Adobe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just getting to the waiting room.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Follow these steps to reset your internet explorer to defaults

first go to tools / windows update

do all the updates they suggest

then go to tools / manage add ons

disable every add on that you are not sure what it is and absolutely need

then tools / internet options

under general tab

browsing history

delete button

delete all temp files and cookies

under advanced tab

restore advanced settings

reset to defaults

Then

Disable your firewall and your anti virus programs temporarily

Then

Install the flash from this page

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.