Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

AOL sends email to all contacts

Customer Question

My AOL account is sending spam emails out to all my contacts over and over. How can I get this to stop?

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com
If you can still log into email account, you need to immediately change the password.

This will not only stop the spam emails. It will also prevent the hacker who has accessed your account, from deleting all your contacts and shutting down your account.

Please change the password *****

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How will I know this has worked?

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.

The mails will immediately stop within 3 minutes of changing the password.

And you will stop getting mail failure messages also.

The reason it worked is because, a hacker either figured out or broke your password.

Then, they could log into your mail, use your contacts to send spam messages. Why? Because one of your friends is far more likely to open spam then if it just came from a random person besides you. And every time they open the spam mail, the hackers get advertising money for the sites they tricked you into opening.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there any way to test that this has worked? Or do I have to wait until some says they got another message?

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.

There is no test.

The messages simply stop.