Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My Lenovo T410 laptop wont shut down

My Lenovo T410 laptop won't shut down
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Bernie :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you.

Bernie :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer:

Ready

Bernie :

Thanks - are you getting any message on the screen when you click start > Shut down

Bernie :

Like this program cannot be closed, force close? etc

Customer:

No.

Bernie :

I see, please Click the Windows Start button > In the box, type services.msc and press enter > Right click the user profile service and select restart > Then reboot the computer and see if the issue persists

Bernie :

Please add this page to your favorites or bookmark so you can return to this chat after the steps. Additionally you can return to this session by using the link in your email from Justanswer, or going to this web address: http://tinyurl.com/3m9w9d6

Customer:

Ok will do now.

Bernie :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX by here

Bernie :

And to reboot, you'll need to press the power button down until the computer shuts off

Bernie :

ok

Customer:

The computer did not shut down. I got this msg:

Customer:

Windows could not stop the user profile service on local computer.
Error 1051
A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on

Customer:

Options are : Stop the service or Restart the service

Bernie :

I see - can you restart the service

Customer:

Will do.

Bernie :

ok

Customer:

Just got the same msg.

Bernie :

I see - this points to a corrupted user profile.

Bernie :

What we'll need to do is create a new profile

Bernie :

Do you have a flash usb drive

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

What is flash USB drive?

Bernie :

It's a little plugin drive that can hold files

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

I have a flash USB drive

Bernie :

Can you backup any important files on your account to it?

Bernie :

Switching a user profile will keep all programs on the computer, and all files in the my documents folder, but I just want to make sure you have anything important that is stored in other places saved to the flash drive

Customer:

Ok -- all backed up.

Bernie :

Great -

Click the Window start button > In the box, type user accounts > Press enter on the keyboard

On the window that comes up, click the Manage another account link > Finally click the Create a new account link > Create a new admin account called test

Log off your current account, then log into this test account and try your programs there. Please let me know if you are able to shut down the computer from that account.

To return to me after you do that (as you will need to log off this account), please go to this page: http://tinyurl.com/3m9w9d6

Customer:

Ok will do.

Bernie :

Thanks

Customer:

When I click on "Manage another account" nothing happens.

Bernie :

I see - it looks more corrupted than I thought - can you click Start > in the box, type cmd > From the search results right click cmd and press Run As Admin > Does a black box pop up?

Customer:

I did not get a black box. Instead I got this msg: c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe "The service cannot accept control messages at this time."

Bernie :

I see, lets try this:

Power down the computer (press and hold the power button), then turn it back on after 5 seconds, and start tapping F8 on the keyboard immediately, try logging back in with Safe mode with networking and let me know when you're back in.

Customer:

Ok

Bernie :

Alright, I'll see you on the other side of that, thanks

Customer:

Ok - did as instructed. Came right back to this screen without getting option to log back on in safe mode with networking

Bernie :

I think what happened is you didn't press the power button long enough, it suspended the computer, then when you pressed it again it brought you back here

Bernie :

Please try to hold the power button down until you see the computer turn off suddenly

Customer:

Ok will try again.

Bernie :

Sure thing

Customer:

Ok. I have restarted in safe mode.

Bernie :

Great - click Start > in the box, type cmd > From the search results right click cmd and press Run As Admin > Does a black box pop up now?

Customer:

Yes - black box is open

Bernie :

Ok - type net user

Bernie :

press space

Bernie :

/all

Bernie :

*i'm sorry, /add

Bernie :

press space

Bernie :

type what you would like the name of the account to be next

Bernie :

press space

Bernie :

then the password, if you use one

Bernie :

So net user /add username password

Customer:

Ok ...

Bernie :

After you're done, just press enter on the keyboard

Bernie :

And it should say the command was successfully completed or similar

Customer:

I got this message: the option / is unknown

Bernie :

make sure it's /add

Bernie :

no space between / and add

Customer:

No space after the slash?

Customer:

Yep

Bernie :

yes, sorry about that, correct, no space after the slash

Bernie :

It's very picky

Customer:

Ok "The command is successfully completed."

Bernie :

Alright good, now what you'll want to do is turn off the computer again by powering it down, and this time, if it asks you as you startup again - go ahead and select start windows normally

Bernie :

Then log into the new account you made (you'll see it as a choice on the account screen)

Bernie :

And see if that account will let you shut off the computer normally, through Start > Shut down

Customer:

Ok. Will do.

Bernie :

Thanks

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello...I've successfully created a new account and now my system shut downs and restarts ok from that account. The other account is still accessible, but the problems persist there. Lots of things are still stored on the old account - like iTunes and some photo software. Do I have to reinstall everything to be able to use all these programs from the new account?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, you will not need to reinstall any programs (Itunes and some photo software should still be on the new account), but you will need to set them up again.

Please go back into the old account to backup your Itunes to the flash drive:

Use these directions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/hT1751

See

Copy iTunes folder to your external hard drive

Restoring your iTunes Library backup

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Just for my knowledge - what do you think was underlying problem? Anything I can do to avoid it happening again?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome!

Every once in a while, a windows profile can become corrupted - usually this is due to an application malfunctioning, however, as long as you keep your windows updated, and use this free program every once in a while:

CCleaner, click here: http://tinyurl.com/3ajc9e8

After installed, start the program and click the run cleaner button. This will clean your system of any junk files.

You should be just fine.

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified