Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience

How do I set up my new HP Pavilion PC with MICROSOFT Outlook

How do I set up my new HP Pavilion PC with MICROSOFT Outlook with my wireles E-mail , G mail, I will need step by step procedures and a few Question confused about POP 3, IMAP, STMP, I remember some but it was very painful the last time I did this, I think G-mail is IMAP, still confused about outgoing and incomming and there is some number like 6 digits that you fill out at the end to set up E-mail , G-mail do not have information on the G-mail -server IP ect.

I will be very greatful if you could please help me out, because my computer had alot of problems and I have to reset everything back up again almost there.

Thank you a head of time.

James Warner
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on your question!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can you tell me what version of Microsoft Outlook you are using and I would be glad to provide you Gmail specific options to setup your email address

XXXXX XXXXX :

Good evening!

XXXXX XXXXX :

XXXXX XXXXX :

I see that you are typing

Customer:

Yes , it is Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 2011

XXXXX XXXXX :

I understand that you have Windows 7 Professional

XXXXX XXXXX :

But do you have Outlooke?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Outlook?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Or perhaps you are referring to Windows Live Mail Essentials 2011?

XXXXX XXXXX :

(sorry I just got zapped by lightning, thunderstorms here so I had to switch computers momentarily)

XXXXX XXXXX :

I have a hunch that if you are seeing 2011 that you are using Windows Live Mail Essentials 2011

XXXXX XXXXX :

Let's provide you with those instructions on setting up gmail with that and if it doesn't correspond then we can go back to see what else it might be that you are running and trying to configure

XXXXX XXXXX :

To configure Windows Live Mail Essentials 2011 for Gmail, please refer to the following instructions (source: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/8460/windows-live-mail-2011-how-to-setup-and-use-gmail-account/)

Microsoft has just released the newest version of Windows Live Mail. This tutorial will describe how to setup and use your Gmail account using Windows Live Mail 2011.

Most email clients will automatically configure a gmail account for you. Windows Live Mail will happily use gmail. Here is how to do it:

1. Launch Windows live mail.

2. Switch to Accounts tab and choose Email.

Full Size Image

3. Fill in your email account information, set your display name and then hit Next.

Full Size Image

4. Windows live mail will notice you if your account was added successfully. After that, hit Finish.

Full Size Image

5. Wait for the program to download lists of folder available. This depends on your internet connection.

Full Size Image

6. Your Gmail account is ready.

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXX :

If it is in fact Outlook that you are trying to configure, here are the instructions for setting up gmail including the server settings:

XXXXX XXXXX :

To set up your Outlook 2007 client to work with Gmail:

1. Enable IMAP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.

2. Open Outlook.

3. For new setups, select Do not upgrade.

4. Click Yes.

5. Enter your display name, email address (including '@gmail.com'), and password. Google Apps users, enter your full email address, e.g. 'username@your_domain.com.'

6. Select the 'Manually configure server settings or additional server types' checkbox.

7. Full Size Image

8. Select Internet E-mail.

9. Settings: name, full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com')

• In the Account Type dropdown menu, select IMAP. In the 'Incoming server name' section, enter: imap.gmail.com and in the 'Outgoing server name (SMTP)' section, enter: smtp.gmail.com.

• In the 'User Name' field, give your full Gmail address, including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com.'

• After creating these settings, clicking Next takes you to the end of the setup.

Full Size Image

10. In the Tools menu, select Options then Mail Setup. Under 'Email Accounts,' click E-mail Accounts.

11. Select an account, and click Change above the list of accounts. Click More Settings, then the Advanced tab.

• Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL3 encryption.

• Outgoing server can use 587, TLS4 encryption.

• Full Size Image

12. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Make sure that 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' is selected. The radio button 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server' should also be selected.

13. Full Size Image

14. Click OK > Next > Finish > Close > OK.

15. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.

Customer:

Yes but I have to set it up from the begining as if you just loaded the soft ware, I already had a g-mail account set up before just trying to set it up again because I had so many computer problems, no I know I know I have Office and Business 2010 with Windows 7 Professional home Premium.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Ok, so it does sound like you are using Outlook 2010

XXXXX XXXXX :

Here is the full tutorial for setting up Outlook 2010 for gmail

XXXXX XXXXX :

the difference is that instead of adding and account, I want you to go to account settings

XXXXX XXXXX :

Having said that, now lets see How to Setup Gmail IMAP in Outlook 2010?

Before you can start using Gmail IMAP in Outlook, we need to enable IMAP in Gmail settings.

In Gmail, go to Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP –> Make sure Enable IMAP is checked and click on Save Changes if you made any.

If you are starting the Microsoft outlook 2010 for the first time, you will be seeing the following startup screen, just click Next and choose Yes in the next screen where they askwould you like to configure an email account?

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]141.38817480719794[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

account-configuration-2

Note: If you already have another email account or if you have chosen No in the earlier case and has already gone through the initial outlook startup settings before, follow this screenshot else continue to the next one.

Click the Office button on the top left corner and go to the Office Backstage. Under Info –>Account Information –> Click Account Settings and Click on Add Account.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]172.58566978193147[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

On the Add New Account screen, just choose Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]140.30612244897958[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Choose Internet E-mail, connect to POP or IMAP server to send and receive e-mail messages and click Next.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]141.75257731958763[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Here give the User information, enter your Name, your full email address including @gmail.com or your @custom-mail.com.

Under Server information,

Account Type – IMAP

Incoming mail server – imap.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) – smtp.gmail.com

Also enter the logon information, enter your user name in full and enter the password.

NOTE: Now don’t click Next yet, click on More settings above it.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]141.02564102564102[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

In the Internet email settings, go to Advanced Tab to change the server port numbers.

Change Incoming server (IMAP) to 993 and use SSL as the encrypted connection.

Change outgoing server (SMTP) to 587 and use TLS as the encrypted connection.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]87.78467908902691[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Now go to Outgoing server tab and check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authenticationand choose Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]87.5776397515528[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Now you should be taken back to the Add new account screen, click on Test Account Settingsand see if everything works without any errors. If there are any errors go back to all the settings and recheck if you have entered correctly.

Click Ok and Finish.

finish-setup-outlook2010-9

Now you will be taken to the main Outlook window and on the left sidebar a new set of folders will be created to synchronize with the Gmail account. It will also include Drafts, Sent Mail, Spam, Starred, Trash and all other mails synchronized.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]73.23420074349443[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Note: If you have a huge Gmail account already, then it will take sometime to download all your email contents from the web server.

Setting up the Sent Items Folder

When you send a mail for the first time, it will ask you where to store the sent mails. Make sure you DO NOT SET the sent mail from Gmail. When you send a mail through outlook, it goes to the gmail server and it saves the sent mails automatically to the sent mail folder. Now if you try to save it again in the sent mail, it will create duplicate copies of the sent mails. So use the Local Folder. See my other post on Choosing the Sent Items Folder while using Gmail in Outlook

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]279.5774647887324[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Setting up the Deleted Items Folder

In gmail, you can either archive a mail or delete a mail. When you archive a mail, they are removed from the Inbox but they still remain in All Mails folder but when you delete they are moved to the trash mail folder and eventually deleted permanently after 30 days.

Likewise, you can set the action to move the mails to trash folder when you delete them.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]257.14285714285717[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

deleted-items-folder-13

If you want to archive a mail but not delete it, I usually have a folder called arhive and move the mails there so that my inbox remains clean and concise.

Folders and Labels

Outlook Folders are equivalent of labels in gmail. If you add a mail to two labels it will be present in both the folders.

Also read How you can manage Gmail better in Outlook and also reduce Gmail memory space in outlook.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yuck

XXXXX XXXXX :

that didn't paste over well

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can I direct you to this visualized tutorial?

Customer:

That is what it says on the box, just want Know how to get started, with procedure and instructions , information how to fill the apporiate fields with the correct information.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Click on this link:http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/11/guide-to-setup-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/ and that will bring it up in a new browser window

XXXXX XXXXX :

right, it is all in that link I just provided

XXXXX XXXXX :

So to begin, I want you to go to your Office Button in the top left of Outlook

XXXXX XXXXX :

Go under Info

XXXXX XXXXX :

Then Account Information - find your gmail account that is already setup

XXXXX XXXXX :

And then click on Account Settings

XXXXX XXXXX :

Then do not click add account, but click Account Settings

XXXXX XXXXX :

Now you can get to the tutorial part starting with:

"

Under Server information,

Account Type – IMAP

Incoming mail server – imap.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) – smtp.gmail.com"

XXXXX XXXXX :

Then:

"In the Internet email settings, go to Advanced Tab to change the server port numbers.

Change outgoing server (SMTP) to 587 and use TLS as the encrypted connection."

XXXXX XXXXX :

and so on through that tutorial

Customer:

So the Tutorial is all I need just did not remember the other settings I am going to try to put the settings in now and se if it works, do you need to stay online until I finish this or do you have to go and I can call back if I need help.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Either way

XXXXX XXXXX :

I will remain here (unless I lose power in this thunderstorm)

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can always return to this page by either coming back to this link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/54ryz-set-new-hp-pavilion-pc-microsoft-outlook.html

XXXXX XXXXX :

Or you can bookmark this page by pressing Control+D

XXXXX XXXXX :

Let me know if the tutorial helps out and if it resolves your question

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you have further questions please ask them here. You can press Control-D to bookmark this page where you can continue to correspond with me.

Otherwise: If your question becomes or is now satisfactorily resolved please remember to click accept to accept my solution and to have Just Answer pay me for my efforts. Until you do so, you have only made your deposit with Just Answer and my work is not compensated and your deposit is held by Just Answer. Accept only once to resolve your question. Additional bonuses and positive feedback are also greatly appreciated. Please don't leave negative feedback, if my answer is not satisfactory I would be happy to assist you further.

Also, you can click here to request me directly for future questions.

Thank you,

Customer:

Ok, I will try it and you can stay online incase I have a few more questions, thankyou for your help If I have any adittional questions surely will call back, thanks again James and Have a fine Day Dan,

Customer:

Thank For the quick Response and have a nice Night Dan.

Customer:

Thanks again , you had very quick response and have a nice night.

Customer:

Thanks agian and that was a very quick turn around, you have a nice night.

Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience