James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My wifes Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 laptop has a black

My wife's Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 laptop has a black screen. It lasted less than a month after removing it from the box. I received it as a gift last August but already had a laptop , so left in the box till May of this year. In hindsight this was a bad idea, since Toshiba's web site says the warranty expired in May.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Please try this:

1. Disconnect the computer from the wall charger.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press the power button several times.
4. Wait 5 minutes, and re-install the battery.
5. Charge for 10 minutes, then try to power on.
If it still doesn't work, take out the battery (leave the wall charger connected) and try to power it up again.

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried all of that. Some of it quite a while ago.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Take the computer to a very dark room - can you see anything on the screen, even very faint?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No nothing-- I should tell you that when my wife was using it she got some sort of blue screen message which she paid no attenetion to except for clicking on a button or something . When she did it went black.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Oh!

You don't happen to remember the error message that was displayed? It started with STOP0000 and then a number...can you ask her if she knows the number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I asked her at the time and she said it told her to click on a button or a word , she wasn't paying atention she just clicked.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
I understand.

Your description points a system motherboard failure, which means the only way to fix it would be to replace the system board.
You can use a cheap and reliable mail-in service - their website is www.laptoprepair.com
They will give you an estimate and then repair the laptop and ship it back to you.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
any idea ballpark how much it might cost ?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Around $100-$200 for the part, and probably 2 hours of work at around $60 an hour.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have you ever done this on a Toshiba ? I have been inside a few laptops and replaced parts and would be willing to try if it isn't too hairy. Maybe find a board on ebay . Otherwise I can get a new maachine for about the same price.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I've replaced quite a few. It isn't easy...lots of screws and you are very likely to cause damage if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
I would still suggest you get an estimate, a new laptop will not cost you less than $300.

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks James
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome!

Please don't forget to hit the Accept button for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

Thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.