Qin Xia
Qin Xia, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer hard ware, software, 6+ years

My Toshiba laptop says connected to my wifi but it wont let

Customer Question

My Toshiba laptop says connected to my wifi but it won't let me connect to the internet? I have the netgear hooked up to my gateway pc... can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 3 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

Let me start by having you list me back some info.

Click your Start Orb (aka Start button), and in the small search box above the Orb, type in:

cmd

Now in the results box above the search box, you should see either "cmd" or "command prompt".

RIGHT click on either one, and in the small menu that pops-up, choose "Run as administrator".

Now a black command prompt box, lets type in:

ipconfig

Now tap the Enter key.

Now let me know what those results show please? (Leave this box open - we will be using again)

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tunnel adapter Local area media disconnected

I tried to copy and past and it wont let me ... sorry I'm not good at this stuff

Thanks

Joy

Your doing fine and thanks for that.

Let me ask, you should have some lines that have numbers in them, such as: 192.168.10.1

I need you to write those to me please.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IPv4 Address 192.168.1.4

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Is this what you needed?

Yes and thank you! Good job!

Now in that box, lets type:

ping www.google.com

Now tap the Enter key.

Now list me out what those lines displayed out below that line typed in.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

74.125.93.103 with 32 bytes of data

is that what you need ... there was more but basically said the same number

Ok, so let me make sure, on that last read-out you had 0% loss, is that right?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sent = 4 , Received = 4 , Lost = 0 , 0% loss

Is this what you mean ?

Yes. Ok. so now, this tells us that the computer is communicating just fine and can get to the "outside world". So now we are left with the fact that your browser, Google Chrome, is not displaying your pages.

Ok, so now we need to reset Chrome to it's default settings and this should clear the issue:

Click on your Start Orb (aka: The Start button), now find and open Control Panel.

In Control Panel, lets find the link that says "Classic View" (usually in the upper left corner of that screen) and click that link.

Now in your icons in that window, find "Folder Options" and open.

Next lets click on the tab that states, "View".

Next, in that list of checkboxes we need to find the small round buttons, "Show hidden files, folders, or drives" and make sure a check is IN that round button.

Now make sure the check is OUT of the one right below that, named, "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder". Also, make sure the check is OUT of the one right below that, "Hide extensions for known file types". Now, finally, make sure the check is OUT of the next one, "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

Now click the "Apply" button on that window and then the "Ok" button.

Next, lets now click on the Start Orb, then click and open "Computer".

In the new window, find drive "C:" and double click to open.

Next you will have a list of files and folders. Lets find the one named "Users" and double click to open.

Now find your user name and double click to open.

Next, find "AppData" and double click to open.

Next find "Local" and open like the others.

Now find "Google" and open.

Now find "Chrome" and open.

Now, finally, find and open, "Applications".

Now what I want, is for you to find a file named "First Run". Click just ONCE on this file to highlight the file. Now tap once on your "Delete" key and lets delete that file.

Now find the folder, "User Data" and double click to open.

Now ALL the files and folders you see in this area, lets click and delete each until ALL are DELETED.

Next close all your windows and reboot the computer.

Now after reboot, lets try your Chrome and see if you can get web pages again.

I hope this solves the issue, but know, if not, I am here to help more.

Thank you and God bless

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still can't go wi fi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good day.

Ok, so the reset of Chrome did not resolve the issue. Although we know the issue is getting Chrome itself to connect, due to how the first test went, is the root cause, I believe what we maybe looking at is another program interfering with Chrome completing the task of connecting.

Lets do some temporary changes to the OS and then see how Chrome does for us, then we will work on determining what that other program is:

Click on Start (If Vista or Windows 7, then it is the Start Orb), then click on Run.

(In Win7 and Vista - If you do NOT have the RUN, then click the Start Orb, then in the Search Box, type MSCONFIG, and it should show it in the Search Results area above the Search Box. RIGHT click it and chose, "Ran As Administrator" Then follow the rest of the instructions.)

A run box will open and in it, I need you to type, "msconfig" (WITHOUT THE "")

Now tap the Enter key.

A new window will open. I need you to click on the tab that says, Startup. It will change to that page of the window.

In that page of that tab, look for the button (lower left hand corner usually) that says, "Disable All"

Click on that button.

Now click the button below it that says, "Apply"

Now click the button that says, "Ok"

Now it should ask (if not, do so anyway) you to reboot your system. Let it do a normal reboot.

Now, once back to the desktop, we will want to test Chrome and see how all is. Be sure to let me know the results and we will proceed from here.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is waht I get when trying to connect to google via wifi

This webpage is not available
The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
Check your Internet connection. Reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Check your DNS settings. Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.
Try disabling network prediction by following these steps: Go to Wrench menu > Options > Under the Hood and deselect "Predict network actions to improve page load performance." If this does not resolve the issue, we recommend selecting this option again for improved performance.
Try adding Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or check with your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, try the following steps: Go to Wrench menu > Options > Under the Hood > Change proxy settings > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.

Ok and thanks for the feedback - good job.

So lets check part of the Google Chrome system and see how they have pointed out that maybe the Chrome is set to try and use a proxy:

Do the last part that they point out:

In Chrome - Go to Wrench menu, then Options, then 'Under the Hood', then 'Change proxy settings', then 'LAN Settings', and then DESELECT "Use a proxy server for your LAN."

Now if you DO NOT have to deselect this, then let me know so, because that tells us this is not the issue.

Also, I do want you to open Internet Explorer and make sure you can get to web sites - you should be able to do so.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did not have to uncheck proxy server... also i dont know what was changed but now on my mouse pad I used to be able to slide my finger up and down on the left to scroll the page up and down ... it wont do it now

Good day.

In regards to the mouse issue, this is an actual "side effect" due to the temporary changes we have made to the system. The mouse will be back to normal after we change those settings back later.

What I do need you to check for me - this will be a major factor in resolving this issue, is to open Internet Explorer (IE) and see if you can get to web pages.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I can open IE and it automatically opens google as my homepage but I am also hard line. now if I disconnect the hard line and try to go wifi and open IE I get the error of can not display web browser. I am so frustrated with this I went and bought a cheap lap top and that goes wifi in my house no problem. I am getting to the point of taking it to a computer geek and leaving my computer and seeing if it can be fixed. It worked fine less than 4 months ago had no problem connecting to any wifi and now this ughhh
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
My name is Qin. It is my pleasure to work with you to solve your problems.

I will continue to help

Please go to command prompt, and then type

ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter, see if it will help

If not. then right click wireless icon in the taskbar in the roght corner
Select Network and sharing center
Then click Mangage Network connections on the left
Then right click your Wireless Network Connections, and select Properties

Then high light "Internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" , click Property, make sure that "obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected

Then high light "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" , click Property, make sure that "obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected

If both are already checked this way, give a try to uncheck them, check "using the following DNS server address", in the box, using 8.8.8.8. as preferred and 8.8.4.4. as alternative

click here to see the screen shot

Click OK

Then see if internet works

Keep me upddated. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry but I am not computer literate... your directions are not easy to follow as the prior gentleman. I DO NOT understand computer lingo nor do I now where certain things are. So I apologize but you directions I can not follow
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 3 years ago.
can you try the first option

Click Start(vista logo left corner), go to Start menu

Click All Programs

Then click Accessories

Then right click Command Prompt

Select "Run as Administrator"

Then type

ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter, see if it will help