Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My computer keeps freezing up and it will not shut down or anything. I have to turn power

Customer Question

My computer keeps freezing up and it will not shut down or anything. I have to turn power off restart in safe mode shut it down then turn it on. It will last for a few minutes sometimes longer then freeze back up. I now am getting a message that configfree task tray is not working. I had Norton do a virus check and they found none. They told me everything was fine, it wasn't. Before it started to freeze I got something pop up in the bottom corner that said high disk usuage, don't know if that had anything to do with it either. Is there anything that can be done online or do I need to take it into a repair shop. I am afraid that I am a computer illeterate so please remember this when you answer as answer has to be in simplet terms for me to comprehend. Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try the following:

Viet - Computer Tech :

I will provide you a few fixes:

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click Start, then click on Run , then type msconfig and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the boxes, except your antivirus/security program. Then click on the Services tab and check the box at Hide all Microsoft services near the bottom. Then uncheck all the services, except your antivirus/security program. Then click OK, and restart the computer.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Next, turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and then click below and click on Download Now, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then back up your important files to a USB drive.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then do a full check disk:

1. Open My Computer, and then right-click on the C: drive.

2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.

3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. Then check both boxes and click on Start, and confirm. Then restart the computer and the disk will be checked automatically. This can take long up to an hour or more.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can bookmark/add to favorite this web page to let me know the result any time. Thank you.

Customer:

Well first thing I would love to favorite this page but that is gone on my computer and don't know how to get it back. SO that being said how do I get back here. Also a few questions. What am I doing that i need to back up all my files am I restoring it back to factory setting? also when you put in the address for malwarebytes do I have to put in that address or were you just telling me where I should be. Also if this doesn't work will it make it worse so that I can not get back online and if it does how do I get in touch with you? I could go to my moms and access on her computer in the morning but how do I get back to you? WIll it be there once I sign in? I am sorry but it seems that everything Ihave tried so far has doen nothing but make it worse. The Norton guy charged me $150 and after he finished my problem wasn't solved but then I didn't have my explorer toolbar, my favorites and everything is different and I don't understand it.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I have emailed you this web page already.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can always get back to me via this web page.

Customer:

I know this is going to be hard on you and I do apologize for being a little on the stupid side but I can not even find where you said to click on start then run. I know start but find no run. I used to have it on my old computer because I could just type in the drive I wanted when I wanted to uinput a disk. Please bear with me but can you tell me where it is

Viet - Computer Tech :

don't worry about it

Viet - Computer Tech :

you can press at the same time the two keys Windows and the letter R

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can plug in a USB drive, then go to My Computer, then C: drive, then Document and settings, then open each account folder and then Desktop, Documents, and Favorites folder to back up your files.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can just go to http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
or go to download.com and search for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to download and install it.

Customer:

I don't have anything that can't be reloaded on my computer so I won't really have to download on a disk just a few pics of my grandson and maybe some tax info that can be redone.

Customer:

Sorry but where is the windows key

Customer:

Wait maybe I found it is it the one that has the windows logo?

Viet - Computer Tech :

The windows key is near the bottom left of your keyboard.

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok, what is the brand and model of your computer?
Do you have the Windows XP / Recovery disk?

Customer:

I have a toshiba and I don't have the recovery disk

Customer:

should I go ahead and try to follow the instructions now

Viet - Computer Tech :

To do a factor settings on the Toshiba:

Viet - Computer Tech :

turn off the computer, then press & keep holding the key 0 (zero) and turn on the laptop until the system recovery menu appears.

Viet - Computer Tech :

that is the steps to do a factory setting.

Customer:

I know that I should do everything now but is there anyway that I can stop and do this in a few hours? I have been up all night trying to find a way to fix this stupid thing and think that I could probably think a little better if I were to get a little sleep. For the last three nights have been up so that I think maybe running on 5 hours sleep since Wednesday morning and I am too old for this crap these days.

Customer:

The last thing you said about the factory setting if I do that is that all I have to do and not go throught the other steps or is that what I do after I do all of the other stuff

Viet - Computer Tech :

Don't worry, take your time.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have the link to this chat web page in your email already.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, that is correct.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If all fails, you can get the windows / recovery disk from Toshiba website:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp?orderType=SFF

Customer:

I am sorry I don't understand again you said yes that is right, do you mean that is right that if I chose to factory reset that is the only steps that I will need to do and I don't have to go through all of the others above?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, if you do a factory reset, you don't have to do all other steps.

Customer:

Thank you so much I will nap for a few hours until my mind is clear and then I will probably just do the factory reset. But just to know, if I do it the other long way will I not loose my files? I just don't know if I am backing them up on a disk just in case or if it is going to wipe them out for sure

Viet - Computer Tech :

Per my previous steps; you should back up all your important files first:

Customer:

One last thing since you seem to be so knowledgeable what would have caused this to happen on my computer? Is there any chance that this willnot work and all that will happen is that I will loose my files and still have a computer that doesn't work?

Viet - Computer Tech :

(If you do a factory reset, all will be lost; but even if you do all other steps, I suggest to back up first anyway, just to be safe.)

Viet - Computer Tech :

If you back up your files first before doing anything else, you will not lose files.

Viet - Computer Tech :

There could be virus; it could be that windows is corrupted; it could be hardware issue, i.e. hard drive.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Doing a factory reset will definitely determine if it's software or hardware issue.

Customer:

I don't have a USB didn't think that I would ever need one so have to run to walmart before I start it anyway. So what happens after I complete the steps if it is fixed? Do I just go to just answer and login in to get you paid? I don't want to leave you hanging and want to make sure that you get your money for being so patience with an old lady

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, or you can click on the link I've emailed you to get this chat window again, then on this chat window, you see the ACCEPT button at the bottom right of the screen you can click on to show that you are satisfied with my help.

Customer:

Thanks I will get back to you in a few hours or so. Don't know if you will still be online as I don't know how it works but am sure that if you are not that if I leave you a message that you will get it along with your pay. Like I had said Norton went in and took over my computer and checked everythng and assured me that there was no virus and he said that he had gone through it strand by strand what ever that means I do know that he started at about 11pm and finsihed around 4am so I would think he could have found it if I had a virus but you never know.

Customer:

Logging off now thanks again and I will talk to you later.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If I'm not online, I will reply you asap when I'm at the computer.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Good luck!

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please let me know any question/issue any time via this web page. Thank you.

Customer:

Just wanted to let you know that I have not tried the restore yet as I still have to go pick up a USB drive. The more I thought about it the more I realized that I have more on here than I was thinking and I don't really want to lose it all. I will get it this afternoon, or at least try, and then will sign back on to accept your assistance. I do thank you. I would go ahead and accept it now as you have been so helpful but am afraid that I will get stuck and have another question and I will not be able to access and ask you. SOrry for the delay and thanks again

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please take your time.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Even if you accept my solutions, you can always let me know any further question/issue you have any time via this web page. Thank you.

Customer:

Hi, I am going to go ahead and accept your solution however I haven't tried it as when I removed the one program it seems to have fixed the problem without me having to restore it. I don't know what happened but apparently something that the casino did when updating their programs did not agree with my computer settings as that is when it started to act up and as soon as I removed it completely it has been fine ever since. I do appreciate all of your help and your patience with me being that I know nothing about computers and I will keep your instructions onfile here in case I do ever have a problem in the future so that I will know how to restore it. If you do have time and it is not a problem or will take a lot of your time if you could just email me instructions on how to mark today as a restore point so that I can always go back to today when it was working good should I have a problem I would appreciate it, but then again you do not have to as it was not one of my original complaints. Thanks again and have a great week

Customer:

Donna

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Thank you very much. You can click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. Then click Create a restore point, and then click Next. Then type a description for the restore point. Then click on Create.

Have a great week also.

Thanks,
-Viet