Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

cant get my google chrome downloads to open

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Bernie :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Bernie and I'll be helping you.

Bernie :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer :

im ready

Bernie :

Thanks, inside Chrome, if you press CTRL on your keyboard and J together, does it show the downloads window?

Customer :

yest

Bernie :

Try to click the show in folder link, does it open anything

Customer :

no

Bernie :

This means that downloaded file is no longer on the computer, and Google cannot find it locally - can you redownload it again?

Bernie :

Then, go to the downloads page this way and then try to open the download directly

Customer :

ok hold on let me try that

Bernie :

Sure thing

Customer :

ok so i went to a website, clicked on a pdf download, and it shows up in a square in the lower left hand corner of the chrome page

Bernie :

That's fine, go ahead and click that square once it is done downloading (you'll see a green circle progress ring)

Customer :

i dont see a ring

Bernie :

Ok - when the download box popped up in the lower left, did you click the save button?

Bernie :

That will start the download - until you start the download you won't see this green ring loading up

Customer :

the pdf one said interupted, so i am downloading another file type - it now just says a file name, .exe, 0 seconds left, but nothing else happend or opens

Bernie :

Once it's done downloading, then click on the square where the file name is listed to try and open it

Bernie :

ok

Customer :

let me start over

Bernie :

Sure

Customer :

ok when i click download now on the website, i get a popup box from my computer file, and click save there....

Customer :

then is shows an arrow pointing to the bottom left corner of screen, it puts a little cox down there with the file name, but then that is it

Bernie :

Ok good - that's what you want

Bernie :

Now keep an eye on the bottom left corner, that little box, it will tell you when it's done downloading

Customer :

it says 0 seconds left - its not doing anyting

Bernie :

Just leave it there, it seems to be initializing

Bernie :

Give it about 15 seconds

Bernie :

When it's done, it will just show the file name and nothing else

Customer :

ive done this a bunch of times, nothing ever happens

Bernie :

Is it with just this particular pdf download, or anything you try?

Customer :

anything i try - ive tried exe files and pdfs

Bernie :

Press CTRL + J

Bernie :

Get back to the download screen

Bernie :

The files, do they show there?

Customer :

ok

Bernie :

Try opening them from there

Customer :

how

Bernie :

You just press on the files listed

Bernie :

The title of them

Customer :

there isnt anything active to press

Customer :

just a pause and cancel button

Bernie :

For example, I downloaded this adobe reader setup, then, I would want to click on the blue link that shows the name of the download

Bernie :

Oh I see

Bernie :

Just the pause and cancel still, this means it's just not downloading at all

Customer :

the file name is not underlined as a clickable link - on any of them

Bernie :

Does the same thing happen with downloads in your Internet Explorer? Can you open that as a separate window and try to download some stuff in that?

Bernie :

I'd like to rule out whether this is just Chrome, or something else on the computer

Customer :

no my internet expolorer was working, but ive had other problems wth my computer and recently did a xp pro repair, but the google chrome was doing this before that too

Customer :

i had to use my internet expolorer when i did a download and it worked fine, but after my repair, now my internet explorer is not working - i need to download the new version, and the only way i can do that is with chrome, but cant get chrome to download

Bernie :

I see

Bernie :

Which antivirus program are you using?

Customer :

my chrome was originally downloading correctly after i first installed it about two months ago, maybe i should try reinstalling it? but, then again i dont have a way to download it

Customer :

hp protect tools

Customer :

trend micro

Bernie :

I see, thanks for all this info, it helps very much - some antivirus programs can block your downloads because they try to scan them in real time, and when there are 2 trying to do this (hp and trend) at the same time, it can cause issues.

Before I have you disable those as a test (it will not hurt the computer), lets try one thing with IE:

Try resetting the browser, open Internet Explorer, then click the tools menu (press ALT if you don't see it) > Internet Options

Click the Advanced tab > Click the reset button > Press the reset button again > Click close, ok > Restart Internet Explorer and see if it works now for downloads

Customer :

i cant open internet explorer - i get an error

Customer :

i think when i did the xp repair - it reinstalled an old version of IE that won't open

Bernie :

I see, lets try this - Press Start > Run > In the run box, type inetcpl.cpl > Press ok

Bernie :

Does it bring up an Internet Options window?

Customer :

yes

Bernie :

Great - Click the Advanced tab > Click the reset button > Press the reset button again > Click close, ok > Restart Internet Explorer and see if it works now for downloads

Customer :

i dont see a reset - do you mean restore defaults?

Bernie :

I see - it should give a reset button but if it's a really older version it may just say restore defaults, yes please try that

Customer :

ok did that - hit apply. closed it, and tried to download something again in chrome but no cahnge

Bernie :

You'll want to try Internet Explorer

Bernie :

Since we reset it - try IE and see if that works

Customer :

still cant open IE

Bernie :

I see, what is the error it gives you?

Customer :

i just get that standard box that says IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. It asks if it wants me to send a report or not

Bernie :

Thanks for your patience - can you explain the XP repair, did the computer crash or did you get a virus?

Bernie :

Or was it an attempt to fix the download issue

Customer :

microsoft support found corrupt files on it as a result of trying for days to install a network wireless printer. after i did the repair, i was finally able to install my new printer, but i am now having internet link problems.

Customer :

this chrome problem I had before - I am just trying to resolve the chrome download problem first and then was going to go from there to fix my internet link problems

Bernie :

I see, ok thanks, this doesn't appear to be Windows corruption, either it is a corrupted profile, or a program conflict - please add this page to your Chrome favorites so that you can return to me after trying these steps, I'll standby in the chat:

Restart the computer and start tapping F8 on the keyboard immediately, try logging back in with Safe mode with networking and log back in. See if Internet Explorer will open then.

If not - Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > On the left, IF you see switch to classic view, click it > Choose User Accounts on the right > Select create a new account > Make a Computer Administrator account

Log off your current account and try to log in with this account and see if Internet Explorer still acts up. I'd like to rule out that it is your Windows User profile that has become corrupted.

Customer :

how do i add this page to my chrome favs to get back to you?

Bernie :

Press CTRL + D on the keyboard. Then to see the bookmark when you are back > Press the little wrench icon in the upper right > bookmark manager

Customer :

actually i figured out a way to get IE installed. I stored the download on a flash drive from another computer and i am installing it on this computer right now

Bernie :

Oh great, very good - hopefully that will run correctly, go ahead and do that and I'll stand by

Customer :

ok - it is downloading now

Bernie :

Great, try to redownload Chrome - and then uninstall/reinstall it.

Also - can you download Firefox as well, just to test it

Customer :

which web browser do you like the best?

Customer :

it is still installing....

Bernie :

Actually - Chrome is the fastest, but Firefox 4 has caught up in speed and stability, and I use Firefox as my main browser

Bernie :

Internet Explorer in my opinion is the worst of the bunch

Bernie :

Chrome can be a bit unstable sometimes

Customer :

good to know - i started using chrome after IE a while back and it is so much faster - it was great until this download issue. was thinking about firefox

Bernie :

Yeah - I think, uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome should do the trick, but I switched from Chrome to Firefox just because Firefox is almost just as fast (almost can't tell), and it has much less issues than Chrome - I think Chrome is just a little too minimalist, it's hard to find stuff sometimes. Firefox strikes a good balance.

Bernie :

Give Firefox a try and hopefully we can see if Chrome works as well

Customer :

sounds good.

Customer :

it is done downloading, but says i need to restart. if i do that how do i get back to chat?>

Bernie :

Please add this page to your IE favorites by pressing the star in the upper right corner, then add to favorites. Additionally you can return to this session by using the link in your email from Justanswer, or going to this web address: http://tinyurl.com/3qfdm3c

Customer :

ok i am restarting now

Bernie :

Alright thanks, talk to you soon

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.