James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

can someone use my cell number to send text messages to someone

can someone use my cell number to send text messages to someone else
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.

It is a known fact that SIM numbers can be stolen and forged, and so it is certainly possible that SMSs can be sent from your number.

Here is the info:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4770451_clone-sim-card.html

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My career depends on this. would my carrier say the same thing? If this is my denial will cell phone records contradict this
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
It really depends on what level your carrier is contacted.
If someone calls their tech support, they will probably say they don't know. If they are called as witnesses, they can produce records of SMS messages sent from your SIM, but can't prove that it hasn't been forged.

The cell phone records, depending on which cell phone you have, can be deleted. Then it remains with records that your carrier keeps, but if your SIM was forged, it may be records of the other party that sent the message.

Hope this makes sense,

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok final follow up. before this comes up should i go to my carried and say i think my sms has been cloned I need it changed?. Then if the text issue arises I can prove that i thought there was a problem. If so what should i say to the clerk at verison?
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
If your carrier is verizon, the phone doesn't use a SIM - so just say you think your phone number was cloned because you see usage (calls and/or SMSs that you didn't make).