Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

I just sent a request to you about Picasa 3. My program worker

I just sent a request to you about Picasa 3. My program worker fine this morning. But now I can't sign on to Picasa at all. I get this error response " CBlockfile:: Restore err=2,albums_index.db . Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.

Ryan B. :

Please download the latest version of Picasa from the link below:
http://picasa.google.com/

Customer:

I downloaded the latest version and it did not change anything.

Customer:

So what is my next step?

Ryan B. :

rebuild the database

- Close Picasa
- Open Windows Explorer, ensure it is set to view hidden folders: tools > folder options > view, check "show hidden..."
- Navigate to the following folder:
Vista: C:\Users\<myaccount>\AppData\Local\Google
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<myaccount>Local Settings\application data\google
- Create a holding folder, call it "temp"
- Drag the folder named Picasa2 to temp to save it and hid it form Picasa
- Drag a copy of Picasa2Albums to temp for a backup, leave the original in google
- Start Picasa. Select one of the scan options when asked, click continue.
- Go immediately to tools > folder manager and change the configuration if need be.

Picasa will proceed to rebuild your database. If you wish to restore your old data base, simply close Picasa, delete the newly created Picasa2 and Picasa2Albums folders and replace them with the folders you moved to "temp".

Customer:

I followed all the steps, but when I got to the part where it says "Start Picasa" it went right back to the error message.

Customer:

If I uninstall Picasa will I loose my pictures? I am not quite sure how to copy my library of pictures.

Ryan B. :

It scans and looks for photo and video files that are already on your computer's hard drive (i.e. My Pictures, or your desktop or anywhere else you place photos and tells Picasa to look using Tools > Folder Manager ) and displays them in Picasa.

So uninstalling Picasa has no effect on the photos on your computer.

Ryan B. :

Try to do the uninstall and when asked if you want to remove the database click yes so that when you reinstall it it will recreate the database