namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  M.S. Signals and Information Processing

My e-mail is FULL of mail delivery subsystem all are spam

Customer Question

My e-mail is FULL of mail delivery subsystem????? all are spam but I continue to get MANY every day. How do I get rid of this spam mail
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 3 years ago.

Najeeb :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Najeeb :

Do you mean you get mail delivery failure notifications?

Customer :

yes many every day. some are in another language. it increases every day and now more than half of my e-mail is made up of these failure notifications

Najeeb :

And you get these notifications for the email you never sent, right?

Customer :

right

Najeeb :

Do you use an email client software e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird etc?

Customer :

no

Najeeb :

Ok and what is your email service provider (e.g hotmail, yahoo etc.)?

Customer :

inbox

Najeeb :

What do you have in your email address after the @ sign?

Najeeb :

Is it @inbox.com?

Customer :

i always hit the aol tab and it just comes up ???

Najeeb :

I see. So it is AOL.

Najeeb :

Ok.

Customer :

inbox is just my opening page

Customer :

sorry I'm not very computer savy

Najeeb :

Ok. Can you confirm if you get the same message as failure notification or different messages

Najeeb :

e.g. Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently and below will be the email address to which it failed.

Najeeb :

Is the email address always the same?

Customer :

i have only opened a few because i'm afraid of problems. but they are almost always different failures

Najeeb :

If you have any email in Outbox, try deleting it.

Customer :

??? I don't use any e-mail except AOL

Najeeb :

Open your AOL inbox.

Customer :

will I loose you

Najeeb :

Ok. Let me first give you a possible reason of why this happens. This can happen if your email address is being spoofed by spammers to send their spam emails (to send their adds to different email addresses etc.) to different email address, some genuine and some guessed. By email spoofing what I mean is that they send their emails from their own email addresses but they forge them such that they appear to be coming from your email address. If their email is directed to an email address that doesn't exist, you get a failure notification.

Najeeb :

In such a case, best that can be done is to flag the emails as spam, delete them from your inbox and hope that gradually the spammers will abandon using your email address.

Najeeb :

Another possibility is that a malware on your computer sends such emails from your computer. To counter that, you can scan your computer with the following antimalware and get your computer cleaned from any such malwares.

Najeeb :

Free version of the software should suffice for your problem.

Najeeb :

Having scanned your computer with it and removed any threats, I would recommend you to change your email password immediately.

Customer :

i have sent them as spam already and deleted them from the inbox. didn't work

Customer :

they actually increased

Customer :

i will try using the Malware and changing the password

Najeeb :

Yes. Try that and let me know if the problem persists.