Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

How do you recover a saved over Word docx file Im running

Customer Question

How do you recover a saved over Word docx file? I'm running Windows 7 and Office 2010. Mark
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shauqat replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your query.

Firstly sorry to hear this has happened, however please note there may be no way to recover the document however I would like to try a few things to see if the document can be recovered

Click start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>system Restore
Choose restore my computer to an earlier time
Choose a date going back before the changes were made
Click next and allow system to restore and then restart
Check to see if document has reverted

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
System Restore will only work for program files not data files.
Expert:  Shauqat replied 3 years ago.
It has known to bring back data files

I have recovered a students whole folder of her work using this method

Please can you try

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem is that I did an update or back-up on a portable drive which will have a duplicate folder from my computer's internal drive and my daily work folder. I typically use the portable drive as a daily back-up for my work that I perform each day. I refresh the portable drive and its folder by doing a "save as", which saves it, as a secondary copy. I didn't realize that the word doc that I was working on today was pulled from the portable drive early this morning and continually worked on that file all day, so each time I saved this doc, I was thinking that it was saving the file on my computer's internal drive. When I did my back-up routine at the end of the day, I used the duplicate folder that's located on my computer to refresh the portable drive's folder, which copied over today's work. So the file I need to recover is on the portable drive.
Expert:  Shauqat replied 3 years ago.
Ah in that case i dont believe you will be able to recover

However i can opt out to see if other experts can assist?

Regards
Shauqat
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

In Windows 7, there is a feature called Previous Versions, which your windows 7 version must have and must be already enabled. You can right-click on the overwritten file, then click on Properties, then click on the Previous Versions tab and check if there are previous versions of the file.

There is also a data recovery program called Recuva http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html (click on Download Now to download and install). You can try, but it is for recover deleted files, not overwritten files.

The problem with a overwritten file is that once you overwrite it, the new data of the new file is saved to the exact same spot on the hard or flash drive, so it is lost. Sorry about that. Please be careful with your data files and backup often your important files. Please let me know if you have any further question or other computer issue I can help with.

Thanks,
-Viet