James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

I want to close my hotmail account, but it will not let me.

I want to close my hotmail account, but it will not let me. I keep getting back the below message:
One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed.
But when I go to the link it states there are no paid accounts associated with my email address. I've been at this for over 6-months now and keep getting junk mail and viruses sent from my hotmail account that I don't even use anymore.
Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.

Please tell me the following:

1. Are you still able to access your email account using your current password?
2. Go into your sent items folder - do you see those emails that were sent out ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

J - I can access my email account. I hadn't done it in several months as at one point after several hours I got someone on the phone and she said the only way to have it deleted is not use it for 6-12 months, but that just sounds ridiculous. Then I started gettting emails sent from my account causing more problems. Sorry for the length of the response.

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Can you please login to the account and see if you have those spam emails in the sent items?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None in the sent items now - I deleted all of my contacts and think that may have helped. I really just want to delete the entire hotmail/Windows Live ID account, but have had no luck.
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.

If the emails were not in the sent items, that means your account was not used for sending them, in which case closing or deleting it will not help at all.
What really happened is that a spammer used your email address in his spam software, and it sent out emails (spams) with your email as the "FROM" address. Spammers often use this technique to circumvent anti-spam software. Since they didn't really get into your account, but rather "burrowed" your address, there is nothing you can do about it. The good news is that their spam software goes through email addresses quickly, so you can expect this to stop within a few weeks.

To close your Hotmail account, you need to close any billing account you have that is linked to that account. Go to and sign in - cancel or close the accounts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

J - thanks for the help thus far, but I've tried your above solution and below is the answer I get:

No billing accounts

This Windows Live ID does not currently have a billing relationship with Microsoft. MSN offers a variety of services that you may subscribe to. For more information, go to

So this is my problem - I cannot delete my account.

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Is it possible that you have another Windows Live ID ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of - not sure how to find out.
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.

The only other thing you can do, is post the issue on the Microsoft Forum. This where Microsoft technical support reps review issues and provide the answers.

You open a question at:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
J - It's not helping. I appreciate your help, but everything you've sent me I found on-line myself. If you could research it some more I'd appreciate it.
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
I already did - this is a known issue (bug) with the microsoft billing system and must be handled manually.

You can see that's the answer Microsoft gave to a user that had an identical problem - see:

Once you post the issue in the forums, they will be able to unlink the Points account and close the Hotmail account for you.