James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

My e-mails to my son often come back as undeliverable. This

My e-mails to my son often come back as "undeliverable." This can happen most often to replies, but to new messages, also. This morning, 5/31, I contacted my son both through new messages and replies. Most were successful. But my last new message to him -XXX@XXXXXX.XXX came back as "undeliverable." I never know if he gets my messages or not, until later. Please help me fix this. I've signed up for the Google $38 fee, and the problem has not been solved. Sue JamiesonXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
When I e-mail my son, my e-mail frequently comes back "undeliverable." My son's e-mail address is: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Mine is: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Please fix this!

Sue Jamieson
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

When the rejected message comes in - what is the error listed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mail delivery system failed.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Any other details?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, Domain name not found.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
And you are certain you are typing his email address correctly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We do connect, back and forth for a while. But after a few minutes, my messages are not delivered.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue, this is a problem with the remote side (your son's email server).
I can only recommend that he gets a stable email account - he can get a free one at www.gmail.com

That would be a quick and easy solution.

Thanks,

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I think I have his correct e-mail address, because for a few minutes , we do fine, -then a message to him comes back as:
"mail delivery system failed."

I don't get it.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Since the problem is on his side (his provider's system), this is not something you can fix on your side. If he gets a mail account with a reputable provider, such as gmail, the issue will be solved instantly.

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
James,

My son is an executive and receives e-mails all the time. Mine are the only ones we're having trouble with.

I don't believe it's his server's issue. He get hundreds of e-mails a day! I believe it's g-mail's or Time Warner's problem. Time Warner says it's you.

It's not me.

Thank You,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Please try this:

Write your son 5 email messages.
But - make sure you MANUALLY type his email address EACH TIME when you start a new message.

Let me know if any of them isn't delivered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've sent my son 5 e-mails, manually typed, and am waiting to see what happens.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Sue - let me know please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi!,

Just received an e-mail from my son and e-mailed him back.

I need to send him a new message to see if we've fixed the problem.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Take your time please.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm waiting for my son's answer. And i'm getting tired. I need to shut down now and pick this up again tomorrow.

I hope we can resolve this soon.

Thank You,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome!

Please don't forget to hit the Accept button for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

If you have an extra 5 seconds, please also leave me positive feedback.

Thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Waiting for my son to get back to me

Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All 5 emails you suggested went through to my son, yesterday. We e-mailed each other this AM 6/1 and the 3rd new message to him failed. "Domain not found."

I have not clicked the accept button, as I thought this would mean the problem was solved, and I'd have to pay again. If this is not so, let me know. I do want you to get paid for this. You have been patient and attentive to this issue. It's just not solved yet. Sometimes he get them, and sometimes he doesn't. Google sometimes finds the domain, then it doesn't. Again, I'm the only person having trouble reaching him. That doesn't sound like it's his problem.

Thank you,
Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
James,

I have to go out for a while. I'll get back to you this afternoon.

Thank You,

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue - can you copy and paste the entire failure message for me here?

Thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I've been off line a few days. Sometimes I just need a break from it.

I don't know how to cut and paste, generally, and to e-mail. I know, dinosaur! Also, what happens when I click Accept? Is it just an acknowledgement?

Thank you for your attention! It is appreciated!

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

When you click Accept, the funds from your deposit are used to pay the Expert who provided the answer. Until you click Accept, your Expert doesn't get paid.

Thanks,

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Again James,

I've clicked all the accepted boxes in view. i hope this helps. Sorry I was confused about this procedure.

Again, i don't know how to cut and paste, I'm sure it would be helpful.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue, you actually need to click only once! If you click more than that, your Expert gets paid each time you click Accept. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted or not.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

No, I just wanted to know that if when I clicked, it meant the problem was solved and I'd have to pay again for another answer.

Thank You,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

Yes - if you click it means you are satisfied that you got the right answer, and if you have other questions you are welcome to ask them for another fee.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O DEAR!

THAT'S WHY I NEVER CLICKED. WHAT'S MY BALANCE NOW? THIS IS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF.

IF YOU THINK WE CAN SOLVE THIS ISSUE, BY MY CUTTING AND PASTING THE LAST FAILED E-MAIL, I'LL TRY IT. YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL ME HOW. THAT BUT THAT'S IT.

SUE
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

To copy and paste do this:

Select the text you want to copy with the mouse (it will become highlighted - blue).

On your keyboard, hold the Control key, and hit C. This copes the text into the computer's clipboard.

Then start a new message, and click in the BODY area.
Hold down the Control Key, and hit the letter V - this pastes the text from the clipboard.

Let me know if this works for you. If not - we can do a remote support session and I'll walk you through it.

Thanks,

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I don't have a mouse. I have a new Mac 0SX, Snow Leopard Laptop. And it seems I can't highlight the failed e-mail delivery. Also, holding down the control key and clicking C does not work.

Is this a Mac - PC issue?

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
On a Mac, use Command A to select, Command C to copy, then Command V to paste. Does that work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did what you told me. Did you get it?

Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is my $ balance, now?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue,

You will need to paste it in here, where you reply to me so I can see it.

I can't see your balance I'm afraid - are you on a subscription program (did you sign up for a monthly subscription)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know. I signed up for $35.00 for an answer.

I don't know how to paste it in there.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue, I don't actually need the entire email - I just need the error message.
It should say something like - your message could not be delivered because...
and then there may be an error code, like 550, 520, 420, etc.

If you can just tell me what it says, that would be enough.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says: "Mail Delivery System Failed Permanently." Technical explanation: "Domain not found."

How can we find it one minute and not the next?

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Sue.

One more question - you are using Gmail, and you are accessing it through Safari on your Mac?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I'm using g-mail through Time Warners Roadrunner program. And, yes I use Mac's Safari for Internet.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sue,

Can you please send another 5 emails, and tell if you still see the problem?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I will now.

Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I james,

I just sent 6 or 7 e-mail to my son.

Good luck!

Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

4 of them failed.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Okay Sue - please allow me some time to research this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

My son received # XXXXX of my e-mails. Humm...

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
So all of them went through?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Only # XXXXX

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Okay - I'm looking into it.

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, James,

Sue

Signing off for today. I'm tired.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

I wanted to let you know that I determined the issue is with the Gmail servers, and openend a support request with Gmail.
I am waiting for their reply, this could take several days until they reply or the issue is fixed.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

Thank you for investigating the G-mail servers. No other solution makes sense to me.

No rush! I am on and off the computer, sporadically, and rather have the problem fixed well than fast.

I'll wait to hear from you. If you can straighten this out, there will be a bonus for you!

Gratefully,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

I'm still working on this - I have to go through a support forum since the support staff cannot be contacted directly, and it is a slow process.

Thanks for your patience!

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
GO JAMES!
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
hi Sue,

Kindly run another test of 5 emails for me, and let me know the results.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

Just sent XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, 5 new e-mails on 6/16/2011.

The 1st already failed.

Let you know about the rest. This is tedious.

Good Luck!
Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

It seems like most of my e-mails are getting through to my son. What has happened?

Best,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue, it looks like the finally managed to find the cause and fix it (or most of it).
Glad things are working out!

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, James,

However, there are still some folks from which I'm getting "non-dliverable" responses, like:

My other son at: Linsfield @aol.com, and a few other odd addresses that come back "undeliverable."

I'm not worried about them as much as my son XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX., which we have been working on.

But I would like Goole to work a little harder at this stuff.

I'm going to check my e-mail to see if anything else has come back, and if everything seems Ok, I'll give you a bonus!

Thank You,
Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good Sue - let me know please!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I've just e-mailed my son again, to see if he gets it.

Sue
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I'm just back from 3 weeks on Cape Cod. I need to see if I can e-mail my son, and see if it works. However I've just e-mailed another friend, and it has come back undelivered. The e-mail address is: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX The server is: vmail.postech.net. It seems that gmail can't handle company based e-mails.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue,

The only thing we were able to get back is that there is a specific problem with your account, not with the Gmail server itself.

I'd like you to run a test for me.
Sign out of your Gmail account.
Go to www.gmail.com and sign up for a new account.
Send a few test emails (to your son and others) - do any of them come back undelivered?

Many thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi James,

I'm not sure I can do that myself, and it makes me nervous. I have no problem with anyone else.

Give me a day or two; I don't want to loose any present e-mails. Would I?

Sue

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
You will not lose anything! We can do it together via remote support, would you like that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, but I have very little time right now.

Sue
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Understood. Please drop me a line when you got a bit of time for me :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
James,

I certainly will.

Sue