Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP
18224842

I cannot save files to my WD Passport. I get the following

Customer Question

I cannot save files to my WD Passport. I get the following message: Word cannot save or create this file. make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged. (E:\Chic on the Halfshell Purse.doc)

Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you.

Please try the following and let me know what you find:

1. Click Start -> My Computer.
  2. In the My Computer window, double click the E: drive.
  3. Right click anywhere in the E: drive and choose New -> Folder.
  4. Does it let you create a folder or do you get an error?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can create folders
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
OK so it sounds like Word is having a problem then. Can you try creating another document and see if you get the same error? Do you get an error if you try to save to your regular documents folder? Can you create a spreadsheet in Excel and try to save it to the Passport and see what happens?

Please let me know what you find. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The response for Excel files is that it already exists. When I check the drive, the names are there, but the files have 0 kb. When opened they are empty. They also cannot be deleted. When you try to re-save or open them, the response is that the files are read only.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
OK sounds like a permissions issue almost. Can you do the same thing in Notepad just to confirm?

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Type notepad and click OK.
  3. Type a few lines and then try to save the document.
  4. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The response is ' cannot' create the E:\test.tst txt file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct'. Incidentally, I used the notepad icon as opposed to the run command.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
That's fine. OK can you right click the E: drive and choose Properties? What tabs are listed along the top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
General, AutoPlay,Tools, Hardware, Sharing
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
OK that means that you are using FAT32 and security should not be the issue.

I would like you to run a chkdsk on the Passport to see if that fixes it. I would advise you to copy everything off the passport just to make sure you don't lose anything. Please follow these instructions to perform the chkdsk.

1. Click Start -> Run.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. In the resulting DOS box, type chkdsk E: /F and hit the Enter key.
  4. If prompted, choose to dismount the drive and let the chkdsk run.
  5. See if the drive works correctly after the chkdsk.

Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The disk will not accept any file saved to it. It states that the drive is read only. It will not accept files copied under other users
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Did you try running the chkdsk as instructed? If so and it still doesn't work can you do the following:

1. Right click the E: drive and choose Properties.
  2. Clear the READ ONLY checkbox and click OK.

Try to save something after that. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried and failed.