Rojus Alappat
Rojus Alappat, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ Years of Experience as System Admin.

How do I text on a scanned document using adobe photoshop elements

Customer Question

How do I text on a scanned document using adobe photoshop elements 9.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rojus Alappat replied 3 years ago.

Rojus Alappat :

Hi... Welcome to Just Answer Support...
I am Rojus... Hope I can assist you to solve this issue...

Customer:

i PAID BY CREDIT CARD FOR AND ANSWER TO TYPING TEXT ON A DOCUMENT. i DID NOT GET AN ANSWER

Rojus Alappat :

Kindly go through the following descriptions

Customer:

OK

Rojus Alappat : How to Add Text to an Image in Photoshop Elements 9

In Photoshop Elements, you may have an occasional need to add text to an image: a caption, a headline, or maybe even a short paragraph. Elements provides ample tools for creating, editing, stylizing, and even distorting type.

You can enter text in Elements in two different modes: point type and paragraph type.

• Point: Use this mode if you want to enter only a few words or so. To create point type, select the Type tool, click in your image, and, well, type. The text appears while you type and continues to grow. In fact, it even continues past the boundary of your image!

Remember that point type never wraps around to a new line. To wrap to the next line, you must press Enter (Return on a Mac).

• Paragraph: Use this mode to enter longer chunks (or constrained blocks) of text on an image. To create paragraph type, click and drag your type tool to create a text bounding box, and then type. All the text is entered in this resizable bounding box. If a line of text is too long, Elements automatically wraps it around to the next line.

Creating point type in Elements

The majority of your type entry will most likely be in point type mode. Point type is useful for short chunks of text, such as headlines, labels, logos, and headings for Web pages.

Point type is so called because it contains a single anchor point, which marks the starting point of the line of the type.

Point type doesn’t wrap automatically, and can run off the edge of your image.
Full Size Image

Follow these steps to create point type:

1. Open the Editor and choose Edit Full mode.

2. Open an image or create a new, blank Elements file (File→New).

3. Select the Type tool from the Tools panel.

You can also press the T key.

4. On the image, click where you want to insert your text.

Your cursor is called an I-beam. When you click, you make an insertion point. A small, horizontal line about one-third of the way up the I-beam shows the baseline (the line on which the text sits) for horizontal type.

5. Specify your type options from the Options bar.

Type tool settings on the Options bar.
    Full Size Image

Type tool settings on the Options bar.

6. Type your text and press Enter (Return on a Mac) to begin a new line.

When you press Enter (or Return), you insert a hard return that doesn’t move.

7. When you finish entering the text, click the Commit button (the check mark icon) on the Options bar.

You can also commit the type by pressing Enter on the numeric keypad or by clicking any other tool on the Tools panel. A new type layer with your text is created. Type layers appear on your Layers panel and are indicated by the T icon.

Creating paragraph type in Elements

If you have larger chunks of text, it’s usually more practical to enter the text as paragraph type. Entering paragraph type is similar to entering text in a word-processing or page-layout program, except that text is contained inside a bounding box. When you type and come to the end of the bounding box, Elements automatically wraps the text to the next line.

To enter paragraph type, follow these steps:

2. Open an image or create a new, blank Elements file.

3. Select the Type tool from the Tools panel or press the T key.

4. On the image, insert and size the bounding box by using one of two methods:

• Drag to create a bounding box close to your desired size. After you release the mouse button, you can drag any of the handles at the corners and sides of the box to resize the box.

• Hold down the Alt (Option on the Mac) key and click the image. The Paragraph Text Size dialog box appears. Enter the exact dimensions of your desired bounding box. When you click OK, your specified box appears, complete with handles for resizing later.

6. Enter your text; to start a new paragraph, press Enter (Return on a Mac).

Each line wraps around to fit inside the bounding box. If you type more text than can squeeze into the text box, an overflow icon appears. Just resize the text box by dragging a bounding box handle.

7. Click the Commit button (the check mark icon) on the Options bar or press Enter on the numeric keypad.

Elements creates a new type layer.

Paragraph type automatically wraps to fit within your bounding box.
    Full Size Image

Rojus Alappat :

Hope it will help you to solve the issue...

Rojus Alappat :

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback if you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Customer:

I couldn't drag the T (text) tool, so it didn't work. Where do I find the type tool?

Kindly look at the top of the screen and in the top left hand corner (above the toolbar) you will see a T. Click on that and choose the option to Reset Tool.
Hope it works for you... Kindly let me know...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I could not find the T, but did find a small trianglereset tool and reset all tools and that didn't work.. I am about a 2 on a 1-10 scale of computer knowledge. I appreciate you patience, but I am still stuck.
Photoshop Elements > Type Tool

You enter text with the Type tool much like you do with a word processor.

Select the Type tool.

Then, choose a . . .

Color

The type will be the same color as the foreground color.

q

To change the foreground color, double click it to open the Color Picker.

If you haven't already done so, go to Color Picking.

You can change the color of the type as you enter the type.

Just stop, and change the foreground color.

If you want to change the color of type that you've already entered, highlight the type, and change the foreground color.

Font

Select a font in the options bar.

The fonts you see did not come with Adobe Photoshop Elements.

They're the fonts that are already on your computer.

Scroll down, or click here.

Font Size

Select a point size in the options bar.

If you're creating type with small font sizes, click the Anti-alias button in the options bar.

The button, by default, is on.

q

Anti-aliasing On

q

Anti-aliasing Off

Beginners can skip ahead.

Try Out Different Font Sizes

You can preview different font sizes easily.

1) Highlight the type.

2) Click the current font size in the Set the font size box in the options bar.

You can change the font size with:

• The scroll wheel on your mouse.

• The up and down arrow keys.

The arrow keys will change the font size by one point.

If you press and hold Shift, and then use the arrow keys, the font size changes in increments of ten points.

Font Size Shortcuts

Highlight the type, and do the following.

If you're adjusting the leading, highlight one or more lines of type.

Action Windows Mac
Increase size by 2 pts Ctrl + Shift + period Cmd + Shift + period
Increase size by 10 pts Ctrl + Alt + Shift + period Cmd + Option + Shift + period
Decrease size by 2 pts Ctrl + Shift + comma Cmd + Shift + comma
Decrease size by 10 pts Ctrl + Alt + Shift + comma Cmd + Option + Shift + comma
Increase leading by 2 pts Alt + down arrow Option + down arrow
Increase leading by 10 pts Ctrl + Alt + down arrow Cmd + Option + down arrow
Decrease leading by 2 pts Alt + up arrow Option + up arrow
Decrease leading by 10 pts Ctrl + Alt + up arrow Cmd + Option + up arrow

Size Depends on the Resolution

The size of the type depends on the resolution of the photograph.

For example, 72-point type will be one inch high on a 72 ppi photograph, and much smaller on a 300 ppi photograph.

Inches Instead of Points

You can enter the size of type in inches instead of points.

Just enter a value, followed by in.

Photoshop Elements will convert the size in inches to the equivalent size in points.

Larger than 72 Points

Photoshop Elements has font sizes up to 72 points.

If you need a larger font size:

1) Determine the size of the type in inches.

2) Highlight the font size in the Set the font size box in the options bar.

3) Type in the value, followed by in.

Align Type

Select Left align text, Center text, or Right align text, in the options bar.

q

Create Type

Click where you want the type to begin, and start typing.

New Line

Click Enter to go to a new line.

Cancel or Commit

When you're finished, click the check mark in the options bar to commit the changes.

q

New Layer

A new layer is created with the type.

q

Edit the Type

As long as the layer has not been simplified, you can go back and edit the type.

As described, highlight the unwanted type and enter the change.

Move the Type

1) Select the Move tool.

2) Click the type itself, not just inside the bounding box, and hold.

3) Drag.

Highlighting v. Selecting

Highlighting type and selecting type are different operations.

Quick Highlighting

If you want to highlight all of the type in a type layer, double click the T icon in the type layer.

Quick Selecting

Highlighting type is just like highlighting in a word processor.

Selecting is different.

You may want to select type so you can apply a gradient to the type, for example.

To select all of the type in a type layer, press and hold Ctrl, and click the T icon in the type layer.

Previewing Fonts

You can preview other fonts easily.

1) Highlight the type.

2) Click the current font in the Set the font family box in the options bar.

You can change the font with:

• The scroll wheel on your mouse (usually).

• The up and down arrow keys.

Paragraph Box

You may want the type to be located in a certain area in your photograph.

To do so, select the Type tool.

Click, hold, and drag a paragraph box where you want the type to be located.

Square Box

To make a square box:

1) Press and hold Shift.

2) Click, hold, and drag.

Sizing a Paragraph Box

There are several ways you can determine the dimensions of a paragraph box.

Eye

You can drag a paragraph box by eye.

Info Panel (Info Palette)

If you open the Info panel (Info palette), the dimensions of the paragraph box are displayed as you drag the paragraph box.

Enter Dimension Values

You can enter dimensions for the paragraph box.

1) Position the cursor where you want the upper-left corner of the paragraph box to be located.

2) Press and hold Alt.

3) Click.

4) Enter values in the Paragraph Text Size window.

q

Resizing a Paragraph Box

You can resize a paragraph box.

One Side

Position the cursor over one of the tiny boxes on the sides of the crop box.

Click, hold, and drag the side to a new position.

Entire Box

Position the cursor over one of the tiny boxes on the corners of the crop box.

Click, hold, and drag the corner to a new position.

If you hold Shift, and click, hold, and drag, the aspect ratio of the box stays the same.

If you hold Alt, and click, hold, and drag, the box enlarges from the center out.

If you hold Alt + Shift, and click, hold, and drag, the aspect ratio of the box stays the same, and the box enlarges from the center out.

Leading, Kerning, & Tracking

So far, you've chosen the size of the type.

You can also set other dimensions.

Leading

Leading (pronounced like the metal) is the distance between lines.

In the options bar, look for the Set the leading box to the left of the Color box.

Auto

When leading is set to Auto, the leading will be 120% of the font size.

Manual

If you set the leading manually, the setting remains the same, even when you change the font size.

You must remember to readjust the leading for other font sizes.

Kerning & Tracking - Not Available

Kerning is the adjustment of the space between two highlighted letters.

Tracking is the adjustment of the spaces between a group of highlighted letters.

Photoshop Elements doesn't support kerning or tracking.

Vector v. Raster

Type in Photoshop Elements is vector based.

The type is produced from a mathematical formula, and is a "path."

The path is "projected" from the "zoom lens" of the vector formula.

You're not seeing pixels.

Vector-based type can be resized easily by the "zoom lens" of the vector formula.

When you save a photograph using the JPEG or TIFF file formats, the vector-based type is rasterized.

The "projection" of the type becomes pixels.

For example, if you want to use a gradient on vector-based type, you must first go to Layer > Simplify Layer.

This command converts the vector-based type to raster-based type.

Works without Simplifying Must Be Simplified

Color change

Layer Styles

Clipping Mask

Some transformations

Filters

Gradients

Some transformations

Make a Copy

Once you simplify a type layer, you can't edit the type.

Therefore, make a copy of the type layer.

Then, if you need to edit the type, you can use the non-simplified layer.

1) Make sure the type layer is active (highlighted).

2) Press Ctrl + j.

Simplify one of the type layers, and hide the other one by deselecting its eye icon.

Anti-alias

Photoshop Elements converts the vector-based type into pixels when a photograph is saved using the JPEG or TIFF file formats.

The raster-based type may look jagged.

Anti-aliasing smoothes the edges.

q

Without Anti-aliasing

q

With Anti-aliasing

The Anti-alias button, by default, is in the on position.

q

Anti-aliasing On

q

Anti-aliasing Off

As mentioned above, if you're creating type with small font sizes, turn the Anti-aliasing off.

Otherwise, the small type won't look sharp.

Characters (ä) & Symbols (©)

For characters and symbols not on your keyboard, go to Characters (ä) & Symbols (©).

Replace the "Ink" with a Photograph

You may want to make type from a photograph or other artwork, rather than from "ink."

q

"Ink"

q

Photograph

1) Select the Horizontal Type Mask Tool in the options bar, the third icon.

q

2) Click where you want the type to be located.

3) Enter the type.

4) Select the commit check mark.

5) If needed, reposition the location of the mask with the Move tool.

5) Go to Layer > New >layer from Copy, or press Ctrl + j.

The text appears on a new layer.

You can use complex grouping to create type.

Could you find out ?

If no... kindly go through the below mentioned details...

It will defenitely help you out to find the tool...

Getting to know the Tools panel

By default, the Tools panel opens as a single row of tools down the left side of the Elements window. You can change the view to a double row of tools by clicking the right-pointing double chevron. Doing so shows all tools when you're working on smaller computer monitors.

You can also access tools in Elements by pressing shortcut keys on your keyboard. The following figure shows the Tools panel and the keystrokes needed to access the tools.

You access tools by clicking the tool on the Tools panel or typing a keyboard shortcut.You access tools by clicking the tool on the Tools panel or typing a keyboard shortcut.

Notice on the Tools panel that several tools appear with a tiny arrowhead pointing right and downward in the lower-right corner of the tool. Whenever you see this arrowhead, remember that more tools are nested within that tool group. Click a tool with an arrowhead and hold down the mouse button, or for a faster response from Elements, just right-click a tool. The fly-out toolbar that opens offers you more tool selections within that group.

Click and hold the mouse button on a tool with a tiny arrowhead to open a pop-up toolbar.Click and hold the mouse button on a tool with a tiny arrowhead to open a pop-up toolbar.

To select tools within a tool group by using keystrokes, hold down the Shift key and strike the respective shortcut key to access the tool. Keep the Shift key down and repeatedly press the shortcut key to step through all tools in a given group.

Whether you have to press the Shift key to select tools is controlled by a preference setting. To change the default setting so that you don’t have to press Shift, choose Edit→Preferences→General (Adobe Photoshop Elements 9→Preferences→General) or press Ctrl+K (cmd+K on the Mac).

The shortcuts work for you at all times except when you’re typing text with the cursor active inside a text block. Be certain to click the Tools panel to select a tool when you finish editing some text.

Selecting tool options from the Options bar

When you click a tool on the Tools panel, the Options bar offers you choices specific to the selected tool. The Options bar appears just below the menu bar. The figure below shows the options available on the Options bar when you select the Brush tool in the Tools panel.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/using-the-photoshop-elements-9-tools-panel.html#ixzz1NfuYq300
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rojus. It is not your fault, but I am still having difficulty. I will however, pay for your services. I have printed out your answer and perhaps I can find a person locally who is more computer savvy than I am.Computers are fairly new to me (I am 77 years old) and I don't always understand the terminology. thank you for your work. Ruth
Dont worry... You can ask me at any time and I will be there for your help...

If you feel my support was valuable...

Could you findout the tool ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I couldn't. I think I need a person at my computer and will seek help elsewhere. It is not your fault. Ruth
If you feel my support was valuable...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not satisfied that I cannot do what I need to do, but it is definately not your fault and I have no com[plaints with you. You certainly did your best to accomodate me. However, I did print out your reply, so I have that to work with. It is my inexperience that is a major problem Thank you for your patience. Ruth
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just can't find tghe "edit full mode", so I can't get started. When I open photoshop I get "Edit", but it doesn't have Edit Full Mode.I am so frustrated.I'm shutting down now and thank you for your efforts. Again it is not your fault. I will try alternative methods. Ruth
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just go through the printed document and just try to make it after sometime if you are getting frustrated now... That would be better i think... Anyways I think it will work out...

Thanks...
Experience: 5+ Years of Experience as System Admin.
No need to worry... Just message me if you need ay assistance...
Thanks for the accept and for the bonus...