Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I cant watch videos on CBS.com, or NBC.com because a message

I can't watch videos on CBS.com, or NBC.com because a message says I have an ad blocker in my browser. I've tried using a different browser and I still get the same message. I can watch videos on ABC.com. I can watch videos on all of these on my laptop. I've searched and can't find an ad blocker.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Ben :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you.

Ben :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer:

Ok! Ready

Ben :

Thanks - On the menu bar at the top of IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Click the privacy tab > UNcheck the turn on pop blocker box > Press apply, then ok.

Ben :

Let me know if that works

Customer:

No that didn't work! I've tried that before!

Customer:

Just tried it again and it didn't work

Ben :

Oh ok, thanks - do you have an antivirus program on your computer?

Customer:

Someone one showed me once how to eliminate ads and I forgot what he told me and whre I went to do it! Yes I have Norton Security Suite.

Ben :

Did it work before while you were using Norton Security Suite? When did this issue first start happening?

Ben :

Time wise

Customer:

I've tried disabling the anti virus and the firewall but none of that works

Ben :

I see - this comes down to either an update or your hosts file, we'll look at both, time wise when did this start happening?

Customer:

I don't remeber. It's been a few years! It didn't work when I had Mccafee either

Ben :

Ok we can rule out the update then!

Ben :

One moment please

Customer:

ok

Ben :

I've seen this issue it has to do with the hosts file, be just a bit longer heree

Customer:

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by host file but you're the expert!

Ben :

And click the Fixit Utility on that page, download and run the program and it will revert your HOSTS file (this is an internet related file) back to default

Ben :

That should fix it

Ben :

Some of the steps I give you may close this page, so please add this page to your favorites or bookmark so you can return to this chat afterwards and not lose me.

Customer:

Ok! If I lose you I can click onto the bookmark and will be able to come back to this chat without paying again?

Ben :

That's correct, you won't need to pay again -

There is also another known fix which involves us going into the HOSTS file and adding something to it, so please let me know

Ben :

If it does work, please come back to this page to press Accept that way this chat wont' be left open. Or if it doesn't work, come back here and I'll show you the 2nd solution.

Customer:

Ok, Let me try this!

Ben :

Sure thing

Customer:

Awesome! It's fixed! Can I check out one other thing first?

Ben :

Of course

Customer:

Ok, the ads are back! and everything works great! Thank you!

Ben :

You're very welcome, you may press Accept now, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer:

Ok, Thanks again!

Ben :

Glad I could help ; )

Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified